8/17/24 1:10PM Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

Montero's made 4 starts in August and I'd say 3 of them have been good to really good. As a whole he's had a couple really rough starts but even in the ones that he gave up 5 runs in he was still able to go 6+ which isn't good by any stretch of the imagination but atleast it's one of those type of starts where you kinda give your team a chance and don't cripple your bullpen either. 

Basically I'm just saying in a long winded way that he has been a pleasant surprise and looks like he could be a potential back end starter going forward.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Montero's made 4 starts in August and I'd say 3 of them have been good to really good. As a whole he's had a couple really rough starts but even in the ones that he gave up 5 runs in he was still able to go 6+ which isn't good by any stretch of the imagination but atleast it's one of those type of starts where you kinda give your team a chance and don't cripple your bullpen either. 

Basically I'm just saying in a long winded way that he has been a pleasant surprise and looks like he could be a potential back end starter going forward.

Completely agree. When he came back up this go round I thought he would be knocked around and he’s performed pretty well. He’s actually been a lifesaver.

17 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Agreed. It's a bit surprising we called up a few pitchers that didn't have very good numbers in the minors but are actually doing better at the MLB lever. Pleasantly surprised. Fetter effect?

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Agreed. It's a bit surprising we called up a few pitchers that didn't have very good numbers in the minors but are actually doing better at the MLB lever. Pleasantly surprised. Fetter effect?

Potentially ABS challenge system in minors-same reason hitters have elevated AAA numbers?

The Lions came back to defeat KC 24–23. This is a good day. Aside from the fact that my son tested positive for Covid and I’m stuck at home without symptoms avoiding him literally like the plague until he tests negative.  IMG_8228.thumb.png.b34fab1f6f2fc3c535628d7b48327663.png

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The Lions came back to defeat KC 24–23. This is a good day. Aside from the fact that my son tested positive for Covid and I’m stuck at home without symptoms avoiding him literally like the plague until he tests negative.  IMG_8228.thumb.png.b34fab1f6f2fc3c535628d7b48327663.png

Oh no. Hopefully your son gets better soon. 

3 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Hey Burt, you look like that guy we arrested in Kootenai County back in 1977.

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tigers need to get another pitcher behind Foley like Lange was last year. Jason not cut out for the 9th.

Lange had a 6.1 BB/9 last season.  I'd suggest that's not cut out for high leverage.

Remember, Foley was an undrafted free agent, so he has already had a much better career than anyone could have imagined when Avila signed him in 2016. There’s a reason Foley went undrafted: he just never had shutdown stuff at a decently-high level. And he still doesn’t. He can’t strike out enough guys and keep enough batters from reaching base to be a backend bullpen piece for a playoff team. He’s a fingers-crossed “here you go, hit it and get yourself out” guy. He’s Mister Right now for this organization, and he has been very serviceable during his time here, but his ERA has always outperformed his FIP, and is that the kind of thing a team can plan success around?

Edited by chasfh

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Lange had a 6.1 BB/9 last season.  I'd suggest that's not cut out for high leverage.

LOL  - let me clarify that I  don't mean "Lange" as Lange actually was, but "Lange" as the concept of what he had promised in '23, i.e. a guy there behind Foley. 

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Remember, Foley was an undrafted free agent, so he has already had a much better career than anyone could have imagined when Avila signed him in 2016. There’s a reason Foley went undrafted: he just never had shutdown stuff at a decently-high level. And he still doesn’t. He can’t strike out enough guys and keep enough batters from reaching base to be a backend bullpen piece for a playoff team. He’s a fingers-crossed “here you go, hit it and get yourself out” guy. He’s Mister Right now for this organization, and he has been very serviceable during his time here, but his ERA has always outperformed his FIP, and is that the kind of thing a team can plan success around?

Probably should be a 6th or 7th inning guy on a team with a good pen.

52 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL  - let me clarify that I  don't mean "Lange" as Lange actually was, but "Lange" as the concept of what he had promised in '23, i.e. a guy there behind Foley. 

I just don’t have much use for pitchers that wild.  Granted, 6+ BB/9 that season was high for even him.  But he’s easily 4 or higher without much offset to H/9.  If some other team likes his SO/9, adios.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Sign or trade for two late-inning dominant closer/ set-up types and push Foley down to the 6th/ 7th innings where he'd fit better.

IMO.