8/18/24 7:10PM Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But those game announcers on ESPN made me long for Jason and Gibby. Yeah, that bad!

The Apple TV people seem pretty knowledgeable and I’ve actually seen the Tigers there more often this year than I’ve seen them as the “free game of the day“ on MLB TV. 

5 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I would assume that or maybe Malloy.  AJ has a huge mancrush on McKinstry.  I dont mind him on the roster but he seems to get way too many ABs.

Malloy has sort of plateaued at about 700 OPS. Not terrible, not great. But he has only hit one HR in his last 80 PA.

9 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I would assume that or maybe Malloy.  AJ has a huge mancrush on McKinstry.  I dont mind him on the roster but he seems to get way too many ABs.

But with Greene back, we have no need for McKinstry in the OF. And his weak LH bat is redundant. 

5 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The Apple TV people seem pretty knowledgeable and I’ve actually seen the Tigers there more often this year than I’ve seen them as the “free game of the day“ on MLB TV. 

I saw 1 game on Apple. I think the Tigers got smoked. 

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But with Greene back, we have no need for McKinstry in the OF. And his weak LH bat is redundant. 

No 'need' for Malloy in the OF either for that matter. Sweeney makes the most sense, but that all depends on how much they see Sweeney as actually auditioning to replace Javy vs just getting his feet wet.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

No 'need' for Malloy in the OF either for that matter. Sweeney makes the most sense, but that all depends on how much they see Sweeney as actually auditioning to replace Javy vs just getting his feet wet.

Malloy has that RH bat though. Hinch does love McStinky but I say it's time to part ways. The guy is hitting under .200.

I just can’t get over how nourishing, exciting, surprising, and hopeful these last dozen games have been. And after the trade deadline, these last dozen games have disrupted the narrative I expected to witness.

And hey, I guess they could go into a collapse, but my philosophy is what I think the novelist Sherwood Anderson said “eat your ice cream before it melts.” This is really good ice cream. This is really enjoyable. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I just can’t get over how nourishing, exciting, surprising, and hopeful these last dozen games have been. And after the trade deadline, these last dozen games have disrupted the narrative I expected to witness.

And hey, I guess they could go into a collapse, but my philosophy is what I think the novelist Sherwood Anderson said “eat your ice cream before it melts.” This is really good ice cream. This is really enjoyable. 

But isn't this kind of a repeat of what we see every year?   Team gets off to a slow start and then rallies in the last two months - AFTER they are out of it.       This year they started better but June was abysmal.      I just feel like they set us up with hope in August and September every year and then wind up with 74-78 wins again.          Can we start better?      Maybe bringing up Jung now is geared towards not having him take his lumps in April/May like Keith and Meadows did.   Let it happen now, maybe it helps for a more consistent first half next year.   

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But isn't this kind of a repeat of what we see every year?   Team gets off to a slow start and then rallies in the last two months - AFTER they are out of it.       This year they started better but June was abysmal.      I just feel like they set us up with hope in August and September every year and then wind up with 74-78 wins again.          Can we start better?      Maybe bringing up Jung now is geared towards not having him take his lumps in April/May like Keith and Meadows did.   Let it happen now, maybe it helps for a more consistent first half next year.   

they won 78 last season, they need to get to >90 to be competing for the playoffs. So call it 92 wins and a 14 game improvement. To accomplish half of that this season would require them to get to 85wins - which is conceivable, but not all that likely - they would have to play 600 the rest of the way. OTOH, if they were on track for the playoffs, Flaherty would still be here, so that would add 2-5 wins.

The the other view would be that if they do at least win any number greater than last year after losing Olsen, Mize, trading Flaherty and having Lange turn into a pumpkin, then the line-up has gotten stronger and they could be poised to make up a lot of ground in 25.

The irony is that while you can point to all the unexpected pitching loses, it's still runs scored where they are lagging by 50+ runs of being in the same class as the playoff teams, while despite the pitching losses, their runs allowed would be competitive in most divisions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Morosi - Hinch on Skubal's workload

I don't know how you share posts from X on here so they can be read here.

click the 3 dots on the tweet and choose 'embed post'. You will get dialog window with a URL in a box at the top that says "What would you like to embed?" then some choices lower on the page. I think the easiest thing is to ignore the stuff at the bottom, just copy the URL in the box under the question in the upper part of the dialog and paste it into your post. Do not choose "paste as plain text"

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Pet Peeve with Dickerson. He talks about pitch count way more than is needed, especially this early in the game. Once you note it, you don't have to harp on it. He gets to be a broken record.

Yeah that's what we do here, who the f does he think he is?

• Haha 1

12 Random thoughts...... 

Sweeney ain't gonna make it.

Jobe needs to be here.

McKinstry is going nowhere.

Major 40 man turnover incoming.

Why does Foley go to a full count on every batter?

Carpenter and Torkelson will be moved this off season

Jace Jung is gonna be really good.

Malloy needs more Toledo.

Andrew Navigato should be here.

Gage Workman should be here.

Kevin McGonIgle is gonna be really good.

If Max Clark gets his power game going, he'll be the best player in baseball when he's here.