8/18/24 7:10PM Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Malloy has sort of plateaued at about 700 OPS. Not terrible, not great. But he has only hit one HR in his last 80 PA.

I hope he hasn’t plateaued as a rookie! That would make for a short career!

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I hope he hasn’t plateaued as a rookie! That would make for a short career!

There are two ways to look at it: To be promoted and not fall off the cliff a month in once you are thoroughly scouted is a good thing to see in a rookie, so 'plateau' isn't the worst thing.

But we know Malloy is sort of an odd duck. His MiLB OPS was driven by a 20% walk rate, and his MLB walk rate is a good but more normal 10%. So knock 100 of his MiLB OPS for that and then assume a normal loss of 50-100 OPS points on reduced contact against better pitching and a 700 OPS player may just be what you have. But if he goes back to AAA now understanding he has to work on making better in-zone contact instead of waiting for MiLB pitchers to walk him, then the call-up will have profited him.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Timmitch55 said:

12 Random thoughts...... 

Sweeney ain't gonna make it.

Jobe needs to be here.

McKinstry is going nowhere.

Major 40 man turnover incoming.

Why does Foley go to a full count on every batter?

Carpenter and Torkelson will be moved this off season

Jace Jung is gonna be really good.

Malloy needs more Toledo.

Andrew Navigato should be here.

Gage Workman should be here.

Kevin McGonIgle is gonna be really good.

If Max Clark gets his power game going, he'll be the best player in baseball when he's here.

Three games in and Sweeney is already toast? Hmm. But I do agree that he is not considered a top SS prospect, since he was brought up right away and not meticulously groomed. When guys aren’t actual prospects you don’t gently onboard them—you throw ‘em into the deep end of the pool.

Jobe is in Erie walking five guys every nine innings. You want him up here right now walking eight or nine per nine? I don’t.

McKinstry will go somewhere once we get enough prospect pieces up and we don’t need him anymore. Until then, we need him.

Foley is a UDFA, so his ceiling was already considered low, and he has probably already broken through it and is peaking right now.

I agree Tork will probably be on the block. I don’t think Carpenter will be.

Navigato is basically Trey Sweeney in terms of upside.

Gage who?

I’m 100% with you on the rest.

Edited by chasfh

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow, first time they won back to back over the Yankees since 1971 !

Wasn't there a year when the Tigers were awful that they went to NYC and swept the Yankees, like 1998 or something?

EDIT: May 12-14, 2000

Edited by theroundsquare
found the info
  • Like 1

Weird weekend where my NFL team played the best team in football and their QB did something showy and amazing and that was the headline which ends with "Mahomes does behind the back pass in loss to Lions" or some such and the entire game was a celebration of things KC Chiefs because it was their announcers.  Then the Tigers play last night under the same broadcast situation.   I really hope next year we can beat the Yankees in the playoffs.  I'm beyond ready for that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree Tork will probably be on the block.

If Tork is productive through the end of the season, they will be loath to give up their best RH bat. If he isn't, he won't net much on the market so if he is moved it would be as a throw in, he won't bring back enough to matter. If he is sort of so-so - 90-100 OPS+ then I think you have the highest prob they shop him.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

There are two ways to look at it: To be promoted and not fall off the cliff a month in once you are thoroughly scouted is a good thing to see in a rookie, so 'plateau' isn't the worst thing.

But we know Malloy is sort of an odd duck. His MiLB OPS was driven by a 20% walk rate, and his MLB walk rate is a good but more normal 10%. So knock 100 of his MiLB OPS for that and then assume a normal loss of 50-100 OPS points on reduced contact against better pitching and a 700 OPS player may just be what you have. But if he goes back to AAA now understanding he has to work on making better in-zone contact instead of waiting for MiLB pitchers to walk him, then the call-up will have profited him.

I think of "plateau" as meaning this is as good as Malloy's going to get, and I believe most of the rest of the world thinks of it as that, too. I have my doubts as to whether Malloy has plateaued. I think he has room to get better. I don't know whether that includes his glove, but if .700 OPS is his plateau, then we might as well start looking for ways to cash him in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think of "plateau" as meaning this is as good as Malloy's going to get, and I believe most of the rest of the world thinks of it as that, too. I have my doubts as to whether Malloy has plateaued. I think he has room to get better. I don't know whether that includes his glove, but if .700 OPS is his plateau, then we might as well start looking for ways to cash him in.

No the point just was that his performance had been steady. That is also a perfectly apt meaning of plateau so I'm going to stick with it. One of my pet peeves in life is when society takes a perfectly good word that applies in many places and demands it use be limited to one thing, so I will fight that battle daily for the King's English!

:classic_laugh:

(and of course 'plateau' is not even an 'English' word....)

But seriously, I have always had some doubts about Malloy, so I would not be surprised if he were 'plateaued' in your sense. I won't write a guy off at 24, but I'd rate him under 50/50 at this point. Which I suppose isn't saying much because any AAA player if probably 50/50 at best.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Weird weekend where my NFL team played the best team in football and their QB did something showy and amazing and that was the headline which ends with "Mahomes does behind the back pass in loss to Lions" or some such and the entire game was a celebration of things KC Chiefs because it was their announcers.  Then the Tigers play last night under the same broadcast situation.   I really hope next year we can beat the Yankees in the playoffs.  I'm beyond ready for that. 

Yeah, that headline kind of pissed me off. It’s like beating KC doesn’t mean anything because you know they’re like God and you can’t diss God. “You know, God lost this battle, but man he makes nice hummingbirds.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

Wasn't there a year when the Tigers were awful that they went to NYC and swept the Yankees, like 1998 or something?

EDIT: May 12-14, 2000

I remember the Tigers sweeping the Yankees at home and one of the vendors walked around waving a broom chanting sweep sweep sweep by the Yankee dugout and Paul O'Neil got him fired.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Weird weekend where my NFL team played the best team in football and their QB did something showy and amazing and that was the headline which ends with "Mahomes does behind the back pass in loss to Lions" or some such and the entire game was a celebration of things KC Chiefs because it was their announcers...

That and "Superstar Mahomes" did ALL of that against 2nd/3rd teamers. WOW... such an accomplishment...

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Yeah, that headline kind of pissed me off. It’s like beating KC doesn’t mean anything because you know they’re like God and you can’t diss God. “You know, God lost this battle, but man he makes nice hummingbirds.”

Pat Mahomes does not make love, he IS love. 

if I had photoshop skills I'd paste Mahomes picture on the angel in Barbarella. 

Edited by romad1

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That and "Superstar Mahomes" did ALL of that against 2nd/3rd teamers. WOW... such an accomplishment...

sure...he can only do stuff against 2nd/3rd teamers.  I guess all those playoff and super bowl wins never happened.

Edited by tiger2022

8 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

sure...he can only do stuff against 2nd/3rd teamers.  I guess all those playoff and super bowl wins never happened.

the KC announcers were fine to be that way....the original point which provoked the sarcasm was that we had a weekend full of someone else's announcers broadcasting our games so it was nice to shove that crap back into the face of both of our opponents. 

Mahomes is a great talent and a decent person from all accounts.  He's not Brett Favhre raping entire states of their public moneys or Aaron Rogers dealing with his brainworms. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I know. I’m not much of a football fan, but when I checked the box score I kept going “Who? Who? Who?“

17 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Tork isn't getting moved in the offseason.  What would be the point?  Harris and Ilitch are not going to sign someone to big bucks to play first.  It's his position next year.

That's my thinking too. Judge didn't blossom until he was 25. Tork isn't going to be anything like Judge, but imho it's too early to give up  if he has similar struggles through another year I can see them moving on. Not yet