8/18/24 7:10PM Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

In 15 games back from AAA and his break on the IL; Meadows is hitting .351/.373/.596 with 6SB while playing elite CF defense. He has a .409 BABIP so not sustainable but easy to dream on. 

When he was batting last night, with the winning run on 2nd base, I had confidence he would get a hit.

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

In 15 games back from AAA and his break on the IL; Meadows is hitting .351/.373/.596 with 6SB while playing elite CF defense. He has a .409 BABIP so not sustainable but easy to dream on. 

I think I'm cool if he plateaus there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think of "plateau" as meaning this is as good as Malloy's going to get, and I believe most of the rest of the world thinks of it as that, too. I have my doubts as to whether Malloy has plateaued. I think he has room to get better. I don't know whether that includes his glove, but if .700 OPS is his plateau, then we might as well start looking for ways to cash him in.

I think he'll have to have an OPS in the high 700s to valuable without a glove.  He's not there yet, but it's too early to say that he'll never get there.  

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which has absolutely ZERO to do with the game against the Lions on Saturday.

Yet had everything to do with your post about Mahomes only being able to do amazing things against 2nd/3rd teamers.  The dude HAS DESTROYED everyone he has played against yet somehow your post makes it out like he can only beat up on scrubs.

I even used all caps in my post too.

40 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

Yet had everything to do with your post about Mahomes only being able to do amazing things against 2nd/3rd teamers.  ...

Which was ONLY about the announcers slobbering all over Mahomes... for beating up 2nd & 3rd teamers on Saturday.

And had NOTHING to do with Mahomes prior history, which YOU brought into the conversation.

Show me where I stated that he can ONLY do things against scrubs.

Oh wait, that doesn't exist.

Do you want me to spell it out for you next time? Will that help you?

Just an observation about the Tigers/Yankees game.  The announcers last night were gushing about the MLB being all about the little league and kids. They claimed they are trying to get kids more interested and involved is baseball. Here's a hint for them.  Make it much easier to watch your hometown team.  The blackout rules on the MLB network work exactly the opposite for kids to easily watch a game on TV and thus become more interested. 

Oh and by the way, the heads of the MLB need to get off of their high horse and get Galarraga on that perfect game list. 

16 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

i just don't see how Malloy can be deployed in the outfield in Comerica; too big for him

I agree, although, maybe he's only deployed sparingly?  Say as an example, DH Greene vs LHPs as a dual measure to get Malloy's bat in the lineup and give Greene some time off from the OF?

16 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

Just an observation about the Tigers/Yankees game.  The announcers last night were gushing about the MLB being all about the little league and kids. They claimed they are trying to get kids more interested and involved is baseball. Here's a hint for them.  Make it much easier to watch your hometown team.  The blackout rules on the MLB network work exactly the opposite for kids to easily watch a game on TV and thus become more interested. 

Oh and by the way, the heads of the MLB need to get off of their high horse and get Galarraga on that perfect game list. 

I don't know. Put Armando on the list and in 5 years or so, people will just shrug and forget about him. A 28 out perfect game will keep people talking about him much longer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think he'll have to have an OPS in the high 700s to valuable without a glove.  He's not there yet, but it's too early to say that he'll never get there.  

If Malloy’s not going to bring a glove to the game, his OPS+ should be at least 125. Otherwise he’ll probably be sub-2 WAR.

Edited by chasfh

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If he’s not going to bring a glove to the game, his OPS+ should be at least 125. Otherwise he’ll probably be sub-2 WAR.

I am thinking he would need to be like JD Martinez this year.  .343/.438 .781 OPS, 123 OPS+  That would get him to 1.7 WAR in 40 games.  

Edited by Tiger337

52 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am thinking he would need to be like JD Martinez this year.  .343/.438 .781 OPS, 123 OPS+  That would get him to 1.7 WAR in 40 games.  

There's no way .343/.438 .781 OPS, 123 OPS+ with a minus glove gets Malloy to a 7 WAR across a whole season, is there? I'm not sure that level of hitting gets even a center fielder with a gold glove to seven wins in a full season.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

There's no way .343/.438 .781 OPS, 123 OPS+ with a minus glove gets Malloy to a 7 WAR across a whole season, is there? I'm not sure that level of hitting gets even a center fielder with a gold glove to seven wins in a full season.

1.7 WAR not 7 WAR

Just now, Tiger337 said:

1.7 WAR not 7 WAR

You posted 1.7 WAR in 40 games, which is why I projected 7 over 162 games.

If you're saying 1.7 WAR across 162 games for Malloy, he of the minus glove, if he were to slash his way to a 123 OPS+, then I would agree with that.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

He'll be back in Sptember.  They didn't want to lose McKinstry.  I guess he is their Tom Brookens.  

I'd forgotten how the Pennsylvania Poker had played all over the field. He is cemented in my mind as a third baseman.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

You posted 1.7 WAR in 40 games, which is why I projected 7 over 162 games.

If you're saying 1.7 WAR across 162 games for Malloy, he of the minus glove, if he were to slash his way to a 123 OPS+, then I would agree with that.

I was thinking 1.7 WAR over 140 games because hardly anyone plays 162 games anymore.