8/18/24 7:10PM Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He'll be back in Sptember.  They didn't want to lose McKinstry.  I guess he is their Tom Brookens.  

A weak LH bat, I don't get it. The Tigers don't really need his glove anywhere on the field and his bat is mostly useless. It would be nice to have at least one RH bat in the OF. Hinch loves the guy though. 

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'd forgotten how the Pennsylvania Poker had played all over the field. He is cemented in my mind as a third baseman.

He was a useful player when he was used as a utlity player.  They tried too long to make him a full-time third baseman.  McKinstry is similar in that way.  

A long time ago in another forum, I ran into a big Brookens fans.  I suggested that Brookens really wasn't that good and the guy went ape ****.  He went through all the usual stuff - Brookens was clutch, he hit into a lot of tough outs, knew how to move to runner over and thart I needed to get my head out of my spreadsheets and watch the games.  We had some "good debates".  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

He was a useful player when he was used as a utlity player.  They tried too long to make him a full-time third baseman.  McKinstry is similar in that way.  

A long time ago in another forum, I ran into a big Brookens fans.  I suggested that Brookens really wasn't that good and the guy went ape ****.  He went through all the usual stuff - Brookens was clutch, he hit into a lot of tough outs, knew how to move to runner over and thart I needed to get my head out of my spreadsheets and watch the games.  We had some "good debates".  

Brookens was my father’s favorite Tiger, for all the reasons you would expect. I knew it was fruitless to pick at his flaws. 

Brookens wasn't that good, but wasn't that bad either. Good enough to accrue 11 years service time and a full pension. 

2 favorite brookens moments: I don't re.ember who they were playing, but Morris was pitching, Parrish behind the plate and Brookens at third. There was a bunt down the third base line and all 3 converged on the ball at the same time. Lance absolutely ran Tom over and crushed him to make the play.

And the time he was the emergency catcher and came out in Parrish's gear. Very funny sight.

I was upset when he was traded because it was solely because he was about to become a 10-5 guy and the Tigers did not want that to happen. 

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I know that argument. I've lost it enough..lol

My son always tries to tell me that there's no such thing as "injury prone." I can't ever come up with a good example of some player who is. Clutch...lmao