8/18/24 7:10PM Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

25 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Sounds like end of the road for Mckinstry Tuesday.

Tigers didn't need to make a corresponding move when reinstating Greene from the injured list because teams get a 27th player for special-event games, meaning everyone else on the roster — including fellow left-handed hitting position player Zach McKinstry — is safe from a corresponding move until Tuesday.

McKinstry does not have options so they need to DFA him I think. Doubt he gets claimed. No loss either way.

4 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Since this is being played in a college summer league ballpark I’m making the assumption that the drainage system may not what major league ballparks are able to offer and what MLB players are used to. I hope nobody on either team wrenches a knee or anything tonight. Of course, since so many of our guys are young their memories of lesser ballparks may be more vivid and their muscle memory for dealing with them more pronounced. 

And Riley coming back 1st game at DH is smart. Again...Hinch smartest guy in the country. 😅😅

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And Riley coming back 1st game at DH is smart. Again...Hinch smartest guy in the country. 😅😅

That was absolutely my first thought, that I didn’t want Riley in the outfield under inclement conditions on a subpar field. 

ESPN just had the E60 show about Armando's perfect game. They did a very good job and the kids in college who petitioned MLB made a very good case to get Armando credit for the perfect game. While they were turned down, they made an excellent argument about how MLB wouldn't be opening a can of worms, as they claim.

• Like 1

I think you open a can of worms by changing Galarraga's game due to an umpire mistake cause maybe there was a perfect game that was benefited by an umpire call? Should those be erased because the umpire screwed up in their favor? Or maybe there were other 1 hitters that were due to a bad call but never got the notoriety cause it wasn't the last out. How about 1 walk no hitters where the walk was due to a bad call? You just never know and you could potentially be opening up all those things if you were to change the ruling of that game cause of an umpire's mistake. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

As someone already said, Galarraga is more famous for how his perfect game was handled than if it had been called correctly. Honestly, the only perfect game I actually remember is Don Larson’s in the World Series — I think I was only four years old, so this is a manufactured memory — and that’s probably because he was a Yankee and everybody’s in awe of the pinstripes. Everybody and his mother knows Galarraga pitched perfect game.  And what’s more he handled the disappointment quite honorably.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

IMG_6343.thumb.jpeg.674ad60cc64a921ceed0e3ae9aaa7a36.jpeg

Me at the clinic an hour ago…. Well, I’m definitely not going anywhere today so I’ll be listening to this game on the radio. Tested positive. Relatively mild, only tired with a raw throat, but the whole family seems to have it. Pasta is the super spreader event. They’re giving me PAXLOVID™ so at least I won’t be communicative in 24 hours.

GO TIGERS! It would be ideal if there were some inside the park home runs tonight. It would seem appropriate.

Sorry, Bert.

Hope you feel better soon.

I am sure you’ll enjoy watching the game as much as I will here in Jersey. I just love that they’re playing this in the Little League World Series park.  It just makes it extra fun, and the kids seem so excited to meet these major league players.

Thankfully, the weather seems to now be cooperating.  (But I have severe t-storms & flash flood warnings every 10 minutes. 🤪😬.  I’m just going to hope I don’t lose power, so I can watch the game.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

McKinstry does not have options so they need to DFA him I think. Doubt he gets claimed. No loss either way.

Yeah I know but I am glad he was able to make it to this game. My kids HS coach is Zach’s Dad. Glad he was able to share this day with him.

IMG_3477.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

If he accepts MiLB assignment and keeps playing he can probably get a ST invite from somebody and give it another shot. He's probably an above average AAA player and that's not a bad living. But he's almost 30 so he probably doesn't have long left before he has to join the real world anyway....

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think you open a can of worms by changing Galarraga's game due to an umpire mistake cause maybe there was a perfect game that was benefited by an umpire call? Should those be erased because the umpire screwed up in their favor? Or maybe there were other 1 hitters that were due to a bad call but never got the notoriety cause it wasn't the last out. How about 1 walk no hitters where the walk was due to a bad call? You just never know and you could potentially be opening up all those things if you were to change the ruling of that game cause of an umpire's mistake. 

Well, like the students pointed out, there are no other calls where the players on both sides, the umpires and everybody involved said the play was made. The closest thing they could find was the George Brett pinetar game where he was called out and it WAS later overturned. Personally, I dont want it overturned. It's the most famous perfect game in baseball history.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

No K zone or radar gun on the ESPN telecast so perhaps they didn't bring the tech to Williamsport. 

Dan said on the radio broadcast that they weren’t getting any of that data either so it may be something this venue can’t provide or some genuine glitch.