8/18/24 7:10PM Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

I remember seeing Gleyber Torres with our NWL short season Cubs A team the Boise Hawks when he was 17 and he already looked like a polished veteran. He was breathtaking to watch in the field. As I followed his career I was amazed at the power he exhibited that was seemingly absent at 17. That stuff about power being the last thing to come around I guess is true.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think you open a can of worms by changing Galarraga's game due to an umpire mistake cause maybe there was a perfect game that was benefited by an umpire call? Should those be erased because the umpire screwed up in their favor? Or maybe there were other 1 hitters that were due to a bad call but never got the notoriety cause it wasn't the last out. How about 1 walk no hitters where the walk was due to a bad call? You just never know and you could potentially be opening up all those things if you were to change the ruling of that game cause of an umpire's mistake. 

The difference is this call would have been the final out and the next at bat was the final out.  You are acknowledging a mistake but not changing anything.  You can even keep Donald’s hit in the books. All they have to do is say “yeah it was a perfect game”. This isn’t a legal issue. Nobody can sue. It’s not the Supreme Court.  MLB stats are not financial institutions that are audited.  They are already imbalanced.   I don’t see a “well if you do this then you must do that” scenario. 

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

The difference is this call would have been the final out and the next at bat was the final out.  You are acknowledging a mistake but not changing anything.  You can even keep Donald’s hit in the books. All they have to do is say “yeah it was a perfect game”. This isn’t a legal issue. Nobody can sue. It’s not the Supreme Court.  MLB stats are not financial institutions that are audited.  They are already imbalanced.   I don’t see a “well if you do this then you must do that” scenario. 

I have a feeling that if they checked with Donald he'd say it was okay to call him out.    He knew it when it happened (throwing his arms over his head)  

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I have a feeling that if they checked with Donald he'd say it was okay to call him out.    He knew it when it happened (throwing his arms over his head)  

I agree

39 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I remember seeing Gleyber Torres with our NWL short season Cubs A team the Boise Hawks when he was 17 and he already looked like a polished veteran. He was breathtaking to watch in the field. As I followed his career I was amazed at the power he exhibited that was seemingly absent at 17. That stuff about power being the last thing to come around I guess is true.

Well, a 17 year old isn't a grown adult.  People get stronger after 17.