Michigan Football 2024 aka The Year Michigan has to Defend a Natty

I missed the first half so I can't comment on that but from what I saw in the 2nd half I didn't think Warren looked THAT bad. Granted most of the throws were pretty basic but the ball placement on them was really good and from my memory he didnt have any egregious misses. 

There was one that was like 40 yards down the sideline where the receiver did have a little opening but it was just a tad overthrown, had a nice tight spiral and velocity to the throw though and wasn't off by much.  

11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

By the way.   University of Michigan --- DO THE RIGHT THING AND GIVE COACH MOOORE CREDIT FOR THE GAMES HE WON LAST YEAR !     WARDE, YOU DON'T HAVE TO KISS UP TO JIM ANYMORE !

No. Those are Jim’s games. 

26 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Yep. You can be cocky all you want against Fresno State. If and when Texas hands you your ass on a platter next week all that cockiness from this week will look foolish.

Don't get it twisted.  This game was a mess.  It looked like a program in transition.  I concur that much needs to be fixed by next week.  That final drive was a great thing that reminded us their potential.  Colston Loveland is the Maxim Gun*.  Khalel Mullings is a dump truck.   They just need to gel in pass blocking and figure out how to get Morgan and the other WRs the ball in space.

*Belloc

Edited by romad1

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK how great a coach Harbaugh is, his main talent at the college level was bringing in an NFL bound QB to lead his team. And that's not to knock him, it's the most important thing a college football coach can do. Unfortunately he didn't leave another one waiting in the wings for Moore, and if you want to knock Moore for not coming up with one, or Manuel for not coming up with the cash to get one, fair enough I suppose.

jim harbaugh won a national championship, took a team to the super bowl in year 2 (with alex smith and colin kapernick as qb), and made STANFORD  a powerhouse.

i know you have something against him personally, but he's one of the best football coaches alive.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

jim harbaugh won a national championship, took a team to the super bowl in year 2 (with alex smith and colin kapernick as qb), and made STANFORD  a powerhouse.

i know you have something against him personally, but he's one of the best football coaches alive.

he was 29-21 at Stanford and 20 of those came only after Andrew Luck got there. He floundered at UM until he found McCarthy. He burned his bridges and escaped Ann Arbor one step ahead of the Gendarmes. If he's your role model for a college coach that's fine. Meyer is a great college coach too, better than Harbaugh. He is also a creep. That a guy can coach isn't necessarily a good reason to like him.

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They're putting the most vanilla offense they can out there.   Keep that in mind.  They don't want to show Texas anything.   When they needed to turn it on and make it a 2-score game, they did.   This is a glorified practice. 

Every other B1G team besides Minny and Spartu looked impressive as most the top 20 teams. Why do other teams seem to bury opponents with no problems using their "vanilla" offenses 

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

he was 29-21 at Stanford and 20 of those came only after Andrew Luck got there. He floundered at UM until he found McCarthy. He burned his bridges and escaped Ann Arbor one step ahead of the Gendarmes. If he's your role model for a college coach that's fine. Meyer is a great college coach too, better than Harbaugh. He is also a creep. That a guy can coach isn't necessarily a good reason to like him.

you let your dislike for him cloud your opinion of his ability.

how did urban meyer do in the pros?  nick saban?

how about jim harbaugh?  you cite andrew luck but make no mention of alex smith and colin kapernick?  

no coach wins without talent.  how is bill belichick doing without tom brady?

anyway, back to this year's michigan team.  sure looks like they have some problems!

oline was bad.  will johnson was bad.  the recievers were bad.  the qbs cant throw downfield.  

wink called a really good game.  they were blitzing all over the place and mostly successful when they did.  the d ends looked good too.

mullings looked good.  edwards looked bad (huh, its almost like he had trouble identifying running lanes...who knew?).  loveland looked great.  guidice got replaced but settled down a bit in the second half.  jyaire hill looked good to me.

none of us are at practices, and maybe theyre hiding things before texas, but when your best oline recruits are benched in favor of low level guys, its usually not a good sign.  and it wasnt good last night.

none of that matters without a qb.  and they dont have a qb (although orji looks like he could be denard-lite if they let him).  looks like we'll be scouting the portal for qbs next year.

we dont really know what fresno state will be.  maybe they are a really good mid major team?  likely not, but maybe.

we'll find out what michigan is next saturday.  if they play like they did today its not going to be pretty.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

anyway, back to this year's michigan team.  sure looks like they have some problems!

oline was bad.  will johnson was bad.  the recievers were bad.  the qbs cant throw downfield.  

wink called a really good game.  they were blitzing all over the place and mostly successful when they did.  the d ends looked good too.

mullings looked good.  edwards looked bad (huh, its almost like he had trouble identifying running lanes...who knew?).  loveland looked great.  guidice got replaced but settled down a bit in the second half.  jyaire hill looked good to me.

none of us are at practices, and maybe theyre hiding things before texas, but when your best oline recruits are benched in favor of low level guys, its usually not a good sign.  and it wasnt good last night.

none of that matters without a qb.  and they dont have a qb (although orji looks like he could be denard-lite if they let him).  looks like we'll be scouting the portal for qbs next year.

we dont really know what fresno state will be.  maybe they are a really good mid major team?  likely not, but maybe.

we'll find out what michigan is next saturday.  if they play like they did today its not going to be pretty.

Concur with most of that.   The D will be very strong this year.   The number of moving parts is going to be a challenge to figure out on the OL...but this is the guy who coached back-to-back Joe Moore award winning OLs so you have to assume he knows a thing or two and will work things out.  Donovan Edwards is a head scratching talent.  Sometimes he's Hassan Haskins with speed (with only one hand at the time) and sometimes he looks like a toddler out there in pads.

2 hours ago, buddha said:

you let your dislike for him cloud your opinion of his ability.

how did urban meyer do in the pros?  nick saban?

how about jim harbaugh?  you cite andrew luck but make no mention of alex smith and colin kapernick?  

no coach wins without talent.  how is bill belichick doing without tom brady?

There is no doubt coaching in the NFL is a different skill set than coaching in college - there are ample cases of guys successful at one that weren't at the other. That's why I said don't have a strong opinion on how good Harbaugh was in college because he didn't do it long enough anywhere to show what he could do absent a 1st round NFL pick QB. And as I said, getting that QB is part of the skill set so that's only a partial knock. But he never sustained a program to anywhere near the degree of a Saban so I don't see how you can reasonably compare them.

I tend to think at this point he's becoming too much a legend in his own mind for his own good, but we'll see if he proves me wrong on this next go round.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, buddha said:

edwards looked bad (huh, its almost like he had trouble identifying running lanes

IDK why they don't move him to receiver and be done with it. They would still have the option of pitching to him in the slot or running reverses where he could just run to daylight if they want to see him run from scrimmage.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK why they don't move him to receiver and be done with it. They would still have the option of pitching to him in the slot or running reverses where he could just run to daylight if they want to see him run from scrimmage.

and they NEED receivers.  they dont need running backs.