Michigan Football 2024 aka The Year Michigan has to Defend a Natty

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK why they don't move him to receiver and be done with it. They would still have the option of pitching to him in the slot or running reverses where he could just run to daylight if they want to see him run from scrimmage.

Because he’s a running back and the skills needed to get open and catch balls as a WR are completely different.   

There are plenty of ways for the coaching staff to get Edwards the ball in space and create mismatches.   They didn’t do it last night but you will see plenty of it throughout the season.   It’s very possible it was on purpose in wanting to keep things in the bag for upcoming games.  

I though Warren showed some decent accuracy short and mid-range and plenty of zip. If they give him time and someone else besides Loveland steps up and gets open he could do some damage, but as of now Mullings is the indispensable man. Lose him and they are in deep do-do. 

And if Orji can't complete at least a few more passes, the QB rotation will quickly get pointless.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Local fans might fall for the 'they're just not showing the playbook' line but I doubt the handicappers do.

The beautiful thing about football is we will all find who was right on Saturday.  

Fresno was a basic gameplan that had almost every run between the tackles, no screen game at all, and lots of TE as main option on pass.  

I suspect the playbook for Texas will have many more options for Edwards to get outside in open space as well more shots to the WR.

I love Michigan getting 7 and think they have a great chance to win outright.  

Sark is one of the most overhyped coaches in the country.  He doesn’t have a good history of winning big games.  Ewers is really good but Michigan defense will give Texas fits especially in the 2nd half.  I expect a much different look on offense as well.  

Michigan 24

Texas 17

On 9/3/2024 at 8:01 AM, Hongbit said:

The beautiful thing about football is we will all find who was right on Saturday.  

Fresno was a basic gameplan that had almost every run between the tackles, no screen game at all, and lots of TE as main option on pass.  

I suspect the playbook for Texas will have many more options for Edwards to get outside in open space as well more shots to the WR.

I heard somewhere that they only used 8 or 9 different plays (with a few minor variations) vs. Fresno.    They played the most basic, generic game they could and let their defense wear down Fresno. 

I really have no idea what to expect today.    Texas probably doesn't play against a defense was good as Michigan's very often - especially the last few years in the Big 12.     I think it comes down to a poorly-timed mistake and a single score difference.    Could go either way.     Glad we get a really good game this early.   This doesn't happen enough anymore. 

I have no idea what to expect in this game, UM could win or get trucked I'm really not sure but one thing I am sure about is that I'm glad to actually have a big game to watch this early in the season instead of facing another cupcake.  The last couple years we had to wait till the end of October or November to actually get a "big game feel" which sucks to me as a fan.