Michigan Football 2024 aka The Year Michigan has to Defend a Natty

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t pay for the Freep anymore.  What are his main points?  

The decision not to pursue a QB is looming huge.  This is also something that Harbaugh has to wear a bit too as this call should’ve been made in December when the portal opened.   Getting Kyle McCord from OSU would’ve been such a huge win.    Either way, it appears they misjudged the talent in their QB room.

The same holds true for OL but that’s a little trickier.  You can bring in 1 transfer OL but anything more has proven to be cohesion disaster for many teams so far in this new era.   I don’t know the roster enough to know if they hit the portal to pick up a stud OL piece like they have the last two seasons.   If not, they really should have. 

The choice to not bring in an experienced play caller was a big mistake.  First time HC shouldn’t have newbies in important positions.   Campbell should’ve stayed as QB coach.   

If they can rebound and beat USC then everything is still technically on track.  Nobody had them getting boat raced but Texas was not a win on the preseason projections.  

those transfer decisions on qbs were made while michigan was still in the playoff.  thats on harbaugh and past qb recruiting more than moore, imo.

they whiffed on dante moore.  they whiffed on bryce underwood.  i know those guys took huge nil deals, but you have to pay to play.  and moore ended up at ucla and i doubt ucla is paying more than michigan for recruits.

the oline is four or five new starters, but they are almost all upper classmen with lots of experience.  again, theyre playing walkon level recruits instead of solid program 4 stars.  i dont get it.  thats on moore, imo.

they should be getting their true freshman qb some snaps like they did with jj when he was a freshman.  

and one of the biggest issues is at receiver.  he's playing walkons over decently rated recruits.  i dont know why.  either youre not coaching guys up or youre missing on recruits.

even the mgoblog homers are over this season.  harbaugh didnt leave a talent crater on defense, but the offense got cleared out.  and moore hired martindale, which hasnt seem like a good fit yet.

still time to turn it around.

On 9/11/2024 at 3:28 PM, buddha said:

they should be getting their true freshman qb some snaps like they did with jj when he was a freshman.  

and one of the biggest issues is at receiver.  he's playing walkons over decently rated recruits.  i dont know why.  either youre not coaching guys up or youre missing on recruits.

even the mgoblog homers are over this season.  harbaugh didnt leave a talent crater on defense, but the offense got cleared out.  and moore hired martindale, which hasnt seem like a good fit yet.

still time to turn it around.

I heard on a podcast a few days ago that part of Davis coming to Michigan is that he would not play this year. He and his parents do not want him seeing the field this year. I follow crootin pretty closely and Davis played in a really bad league in Charlotte, basically against a bunch of 5 foot nothing 100 and nothing white kids. I lived in Charlotte and know the school he went to, they play horrible competition. Going from that to the big ten is a major leap and they likely do not want him exposed to it this early in his career. He was a high recruit, but he was never going to be a day 1 starter type. Barely anyone is. 

As for the defense. It is interesting how they basically returned everyone, including multiple future first round draft picks and they look completely different. How very interesting. 

1 hour ago, RedTeamGo! said:

As for the defense. It is interesting how they basically returned everyone, including multiple future first round draft picks and they look completely different. How very interesting. 

so in addition to 'crootin podcasts, i see you listen to buckeye podcasts too.  lol.

1 hour ago, RedTeamGo! said:

two things: One - It's a lot harder to play twice as many plays at as high a level. An 'O' that stays on the field is the always the 'D's best conditioning strategy. Two - it's hard to get good practicing against an O practice team that can't execute. You never get adequate exposure of your weaknesses. You can't practice against bad QBs and get any appreciation of what you are going to face against a good one. Same in the 70's when those supposedly great D's from the 3 yds and a cloud of dust era B10 teams would get smoked when they played a Pac10 team that could pass the ball. They'd be like "WTF was that!?"

Edited by gehringer_2

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

so in addition to 'crootin podcasts, i see you listen to buckeye podcasts too.  lol.

buckeye podcasts? Its not like a conspiracy theory. They just got an NOA from the NCAA and Harbaugh was suspended for multiple games in-season because of cheating. lol. 

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

two things: One - It's a lot harder to play twice as many plays at as high a level. An 'O' that stays on the field is the always the 'D's best conditioning strategy. Two - it's hard to get good practicing against an O practice team that can't execute. You never get adequate exposure of your weaknesses. You can't practice against bad QBs and get any appreciation of what you are going to face against a good one.

Yeah, I get the offense sucked excuse, but this defense looks completely and utterly different from last year through 2 games. Texas could have scored 2 more TDs if he they wanted to. They called off the dogs in the 2nd half. These are the same players as last year with another year of growth and experience. They got abused by Texas. Abused. 

8 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

Yeah, I get the offense sucked excuse, but this defense looks completely and utterly different from last year through 2 games. Texas could have scored 2 more TDs if he they wanted to. They called off the dogs in the 2nd half. These are the same players as last year with another year of growth and experience. They got abused by Texas. Abused. 

One change you can lay to the coaching is that i didn't sense them trying nearly as hard to hide what they are doing on D as they used to. The M defense always tried to avoid coming set and waiting for the snap. Maybe that's just Martindale, or maybe the change to helmet radio has changed the risk calculations around that in ways that make their old approach obsolete?

Edited by gehringer_2

Or maybe they knew what plays were coming and now they do not. Who could possibly know!

Just to be clear, if that is why the defense was so good it netted a natty. Can't take that away. Well, I suppose the NCAA could. But even if they do (which I do not think NCAA will BTW), you can't really take it away for all intents and purposes. 

When I was in high school our hockey state championship got taken away because some freshmen idiot played travel at the same time, obviously everyone from my HS still counted it. Same thing, just much larger level obviously. 

Edited by RedTeamGo!

37 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

buckeye podcasts? Its not like a conspiracy theory. They just got an NOA from the NCAA and Harbaugh was suspended for multiple games in-season because of cheating. lol. 

by doing what everyone else does.

they lost their dline depth, their best cornerback, they're starting #2 cornerback, their best linebacker, and their best safety.

and half their coaching staff, including their d coordinator.

look man, youre gonna beat michigan by 40 this year.  be happy!  everybody steals signs, osu had michigan's signs.  they have them all the time, ask greg schiano.  to say that's why michigan beat osu 3 years in a row is just osu cope.

5 minutes ago, RedTeamGo! said:

Or maybe they knew what plays were coming and now they do not.

LOL. No staff could have been dumb enough not to use new signals against M last season could they? In fact to me the reason the whole thing was/is such stupid Kabuki theater is that accusations between multiple teams had been floating around a long time, and both M and M's opponents should have been dealing with it. It just became the vehicle for the expression of a lot of political tensions percolating  inside the conference and the  general situation that Harbaugh had made himself personna non-grata to the rest of the conference and the NCAA.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

One change you can lay to the coaching is that i didn't sense them trying nearly as hard to hide what they are doing on D as they used to. The M defense always tried to avoid coming set and waiting for the snap. Maybe that's just Martindale, or maybe the change to helmet radio has changed the risk calculations around that in ways that make their old approach obsolete?

theyre blitzing more and trying to use more complex, nfl concepts and it isnt working.  their secondary is very flawed with moore at safety.  they have one very talented corner and one corner playing in his first year.  their other guys are just depth.  the safeties arent great.  if there is a disappointment its that the dline isnt good enough to make up for it.

and lets put it in a little perspective: they got worked by a very good offensive team in texas with a great oline and a really good college qb.

i have mlre faith that the defense can bounce back than the offense.  the offense has almost no shot.  none.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

to say that's why michigan beat osu 3 years in a row is just osu cope.

Please quote where I said this. 

Look, I get everyone steals signs, but other teams do it the legal way, but not like Michigan did. Other teams do it in game and pick up signs here and there. Michigan had a guy that was sending advanced scouts to games Michigan wasnt a part of, filming the opposing sideline, and figuring out every single one of their signs. Saying "everybody does it" is just Michigan cope for getting caught blatantly cheating. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

theyre blitzing more and trying to use more complex, nfl concepts and it isnt working.  their secondary is very flawed with moore at safety.  they have one very talented corner and one corner playing in his first year.  their other guys are just depth.  the safeties arent great.  if there is a disappointment its that the dline isnt good enough to make up for it.

and lets put it in a little perspective: they got worked by a very good offensive team in texas with a great oline and a really good college qb.

i have mlre faith that the defense can bounce back than the offense.  the offense has almost no shot.  none.

The biggest problem was the LB’s were horrendous.  They were out of position to create huge running lanes and they missed tackles when they were in the right place.  Barham has the physical tools of an NFL player but he’s got a long way to go as a player.  Hausmann is just pretty average and don’t know what his upside is going forward.   The other massive problem was the corner opposite of Johnson got abused.  He’s young so maybe he needs more reps but he better figure it out quick because teams are going to come at him early and often.  Both Grant and Graham had off games against a really good line.   That can happen but I’d be shocked if both don’t rebound and play to expectations.  Just having these two show up at their level will have a big impact to the overall defense.  

I also watched the Netflix Stalions show and left actually feeling bad for the kid.  He’s not a clown like he’s been made out to be in the media for the past year.   He’s really smart, detailed, and driven.  He was successfully living out the plan that he made a child to become a football coach at Michigan.  He was hyper focused on making it happen and he did it.  There’s not a doubt in my mind that he was on the path to become a head coach someday and maybe a really good one.   That’s never going to happen for him now.    

The biggest takeaway for me was that even though everyone stole signs, nobody else had Conor Stalions.  He was doing things at a level so far above the low level staffers at other places.   He’s got a brilliant mind mixed with a crazy level of motivation.  He devoted way way too much of his time to the singular effort of deciphering signs.  He came up with ingenious methods of charting them and then quickly identifying them during the game.    What he was doing relied on gathering as much data as possible to figure out the different sign combinations and he couldn’t get all of that just on TV and coaching video.   The illegal in-person scouting really was a huge advantage for him.  

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I also watched the Netflix Stalions show and left actually feeling bad for the kid.  He’s not a clown like he’s been made out to be in the media for the past year.   He’s really smart, detailed, and driven.  He was successfully living out the plan that he made a child to become a football coach at Michigan.  He was hyper focused on making it happen and he did it.  There’s not a doubt in my mind that he was on the path to become a head coach someday and maybe a really good one.   That’s never going to happen for him now.    

The biggest takeaway for me was that even though everyone stole signs, nobody else had Conor Stalions.  He was doing things at a level so far above the low level staffers at other places.   He’s got a brilliant mind mixed with a crazy level of motivation.  He devoted way way too much of his time to the singular effort of deciphering signs.  He came up with ingenious methods of charting them and then quickly identifying them during the game.    What he was doing relied on gathering as much data as possible to figure out the different sign combinations and he couldn’t get all of that just on TV and coaching video.   The illegal in-person scouting really was a huge advantage for him.  

so the network of grad assistants who are spending all game decoding signs and then passing those signs to other assistants is inferior to a kid with an iphone?

come on man.  its the same thing.

3 hours ago, RedTeamGo! said:

Please quote where I said this. 

Look, I get everyone steals signs, but other teams do it the legal way, but not like Michigan did. Other teams do it in game and pick up signs here and there. Michigan had a guy that was sending advanced scouts to games Michigan wasnt a part of, filming the opposing sideline, and figuring out every single one of their signs. Saying "everybody does it" is just Michigan cope for getting caught blatantly cheating. 

why do you think michigan beat osu 3 years in a row?  

i think michigan was a better team two years ago.  their oline was just better than osu's dline.  i think the second year in columbus michigan got lucky and osu's secondary was garbage.  i think last year they were basically equal and mccord made a bad throw at the end of the game or osu might have won it.  jj was better than mccord and that's it.  osu was equal or superior at almost every other position.

and that's the best michigan will do against osu for a long time.

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

so the network of grad assistants who are spending all game decoding signs and then passing those signs to other assistants is inferior to a kid with an iphone?

come on man.  its the same thing.

Watch the show.  Thats not even close to what happened.  

They broke the rules but I don’t think it should be a penalty.  It’s just gathering data from video.  The value isn’t in the data, it’s the systems he created to decipher it and none of that is against the rules.  

Edited by Hongbit

even romad might have to admit theyre no good this year.  😉

this game wasnt as close as the final score, but still, its arkansas state.  

theyre going to be in real trouble in the big ten this year.  6-6?  maybe if theyre lucky.

42 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There are some happy gamblers out there who took USC +8.5 prior to the season and now see the line at Michigan +6.  

That’s a huge middling opportunity.  

take usc if the number is under 14.  

even then, consider taking usc.