Michigan Football 2024 aka The Year Michigan has to Defend a Natty

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

If these coaches don’t have signed contracts as was rumored, this entire staff may not even make it past this year.  

I wanted Moore to get the chance to prove himself after being apart of a national championship team. But this is a disaster and won'tbbe getting better anytime soon I fear. The coaching staff he has put together does not instill confidence in the ability to turn this around. The recruiting class and transfer class he brought in doesn't instill confidence in that regard right. Not using the portal to bring in a starting QB or not having a good talent waiting in the wings to be developed is a concern. There's nothing about this program right now that makes me feel like they'll reapete any of last year's success anytime soon. 

It's only two games in, but it's a bad start. Moore getting promoted is looking increasingly like Lloyd wanting Mike DeBoard become to become his successor. Lloyd didn't get his way but Harbaugh got his way with Moore succeeding him. 

• Like 1

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

21 yrs since Martindale last coached in college. 

I wasn't against Wink, but Kirk Campbell as OC is not a good promotion. Moore needed a big time college OC to call plays and instead he bumped up his QB coach.

Look, maybe he'll get his system, the coaching staff, and recruits right. But thus far, it looks like he's made the wrong hires.

5 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I wasn't against Wink, but Kirk Campbell as OC is not a good promotion. Moore needed a big time college OC to call plays and instead he bumped up his QB coach.

Look, maybe he'll get his system, the coaching staff, and recruits right. But thus far, it looks like he's made the wrong hires.

Campbell only got the QB coach job because Weiss got caught up in that internet scandal and got fired.  He was lucky enough in only season on the job to walk into a fully polished JJ McCarthy.   He was in the right place at the right time again to get promoted up again to OC.   Lucky guy.  

Just now, buddha said:

they dont have a qb.  they have one good receiver and he's a tight end.  their oline hasnt developed and theyre starting 3* nobodies for some reason.

theyre going to be 7-5.

Semaj Morgan celebrates like a good receiver.  That’s got to count for something. 

New O-Line.  New QB.   Weak Receivers.      

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

These are some of the worse announcers in the business.   Not surprised they haven’t made any comment on the absence of Edwards.  Is he hurt, is he benched, is this some weird rotation from the coaches? 

Maybe it's just a case of why get him banged up now, but Fox's announcers are a joke.   

So, do they fire Moore Homecoming Week or what?   I mean this team lost a game before the playoffs after replacing much of the offense - he's a terrible coach, right. 

Oh, by the way, the way this playoff is set up, it's probably going to be 4 from the SEC,  3 or 4 from the Big Ten, Notre Dame and 3 or 4 other teams that they allow, but force to play on the road in the first round.  Michigan's season is FAR from over.   This game may toughen them up a bit too.  

But yeah,  some are already probably screaming that Moore should be fired and I am sure comment sections will have to be disabled because it will no doubt get racial...........because this is "Murica.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

43 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

New O-Line.  New QB.   Weak Receivers.      

Maybe it's just a case of why get him banged up now, but Fox's announcers are a joke.   

So, do they fire Moore Homecoming Week or what?   I mean this team lost a game before the playoffs after replacing much of the offense - he's a terrible coach, right. 

Oh, by the way, the way this playoff is set up, it's probably going to be 4 from the SEC,  3 or 4 from the Big Ten, Notre Dame and 3 or 4 other teams that they allow, but force to play on the road in the first round.  Michigan's season is FAR from over.   This game may toughen them up a bit too.  

But yeah,  some are already probably screaming that Moore should be fired and I am sure comment sections will have to be disabled because it will no doubt get racial...........because this is "Murica.  

You pretend like Moore had nothing to do with allowing the program to go into the season with a walk on who’s never played and was obviously gonna fall flat on this face.  the portal was open. Moore decided he had a good QB room.  Other programs went out and got someone. Michigan fielded a bad MAC offense.

I know Texas has a ton of talent and has arguably the best QB in the country but with that said the defense really disappointed me today. I knew that our offense was likely to struggle this year, particularly early on since we have so many new pieces but I hoped the defense would still be really good with guys like Grant, Graham and Johnson returning but thus far that hasn't been the case.

As far as the QB situation goes I don't know enough about NIL and reasons players go to specific schools but with all the talented and/or previously highly regarded QB recruits that hit the portal and changed teams this offseason it amazes me that Michigan couldn't land one of them.  JJ not announcing his draft decision until after the initial portal period  and the top guys were taken may have hurt that though. 

38 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

You pretend like Moore had nothing to do with allowing the program to go into the season with a walk on who’s never played and was obviously gonna fall flat on this face.  the portal was open. Moore decided he had a good QB room.  Other programs went out and got someone. Michigan fielded a bad MAC offense.

we don't know what limitations were or were not made on the resources made available. No sense to go shopping if your spending account isn't up to it. I'll let Buddha accuse me of being cynical again (:classic_laugh:) but think about it: If you are Michigan, coming off the NC you have sold every ticket you have, peddled every piece of merch you could think of, why spend money this year on players - your profits are already booked. Save it and make a bigger splash next yr or when you sense  ticket sales may be looking weaker. Until some new rules are in place it's all year by year now with players anyway.

The institution has a much longer-term view about sports than the fans. Manuel's primary task is long term economic success. Winning alone isn't justification for spending any money that isn't going to have a net return.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 9/7/2024 at 5:50 PM, romad1 said:

Glad I missed that mess

its worse than you imagine.

there are a ton of issues with this team.  this is going to be a rebuilding year.

although given how theyve run the offense and defense so far, i have bad feelings about the future.  if those are the best players they can put on the field they have a serious problem in recruiting.

if you can get ohio state at anything less than -20 right now, you should take it.

18 minutes ago, buddha said:

its worse than you imagine.

there are a ton of issues with this team.  this is going to be a rebuilding year.

although given how theyve run the offense and defense so far, i have bad feelings about the future.  if those are the best players they can put on the field they have a serious problem in recruiting.

if you can get ohio state at anything less than -20 right now, you should take it.

The only thing I wondered is why anyone thought they would be good this year in the first place. Huge senior class leaving. New coach. No QB. And Harbaugh wasn't a Saban, he was never building for the long term - he was building to win once because he knew he'd leave after he won. So the dog and pony show all year with Harbaugh, the NCAA and the NFL and JJ's late decision all hurt recruiting and they clearly were not able/willing(?) to throw a lot of money into the portal this year.

As to the last one, I also get a sense, just from the level of silence from the whole University Athletic community, that  UM prefers to bide its time as much as it can until a new organizational regime comes into being - I don't think they want to put a lot of effort/resource into personel/org structures that they think are bound to be obsoleted soon. Keep the powder dry and try to leap frog the competition into what comes next. 

Edited by gehringer_2

First, I am going to break the longstanding Motown Forums tradition of never admitting you were wrong.  

I was dead wrong about the gameplan for the last 2 games.   They weren’t holding anything back against Fresno.  They have a very limited offense behind these QBs and OL and with an inexperienced playcaller.   

I thought this team would be good this season based on the talent on defense.   They have 7 or 8 guys that will get drafted in the NFL over the next few years.   Texas with Ewers and that OL is really good and I don’t expect most teams to beat up on them that way.  Still, it’s apparent the replacements at LB for Coltson & Barrett are a huge drop off.  They need to be much better.   USC will be a challenge and very telling what’s going on with the defense.    

I also made the assumption as many others did that the OL would be better than they’ve played.  It was never going to be like the last few years units but I expected better.  I don’t know what the solutions are here.   

QB is obviously a problem but the OL needs to perform better to adequately judge Warren.  I don’t think he much but he really hasn’t had much time to throw at all.  

27 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

First, I am going to break the longstanding Motown Forums tradition of never admitting you were wrong.  

I was dead wrong about the gameplan for the last 2 games.   They weren’t holding anything back against Fresno.  They have a very limited offense behind these QBs and OL and with an inexperienced playcaller.   

I thought this team would be good this season based on the talent on defense.   They have 7 or 8 guys that will get drafted in the NFL over the next few years.   Texas with Ewers and that OL is really good and I don’t expect most teams to beat up on them that way.  Still, it’s apparent the replacements at LB for Coltson & Barrett are a huge drop off.  They need to be much better.   USC will be a challenge and very telling what’s going on with the defense.    

I also made the assumption as many others did that the OL would be better than they’ve played.  It was never going to be like the last few years units but I expected better.  I don’t know what the solutions are here.   

QB is obviously a problem but the OL needs to perform better to adequately judge Warren.  I don’t think he much but he really hasn’t had much time to throw at all.  

u$c is going to slaughter them.

you get the good and the bad with harbaugh.  he created a program - the ONLY PROGRAM - to win three big ten championships and one national title without consistent top recruiting classes.  no one else has come close.  that was all harbaugh.  even before the last run he brought michigan back from the dead and made them relevant again.  he returned them to their usual spot as a team that could be anyone other than ohio state or in a bowl game.  he's one of the best coaches in football.  he's a hall of fame coach.

but.

you also get the bad.  he's a crazy person.  he's not that bright.  he's easily distracted by shiny objects and needs someone (like his brother) to focus him.  to bonghit's point, he turned a molehill of an ncaa violation and turned it into a show cause mountain.  only because he wouldnt play the game and act like he was sorry.  yes, its a cheeseburger and ncaa rules are stupid and they wanted to get him really bad.  but why?  because he cant handle dealing with authority and for as annoying as the ncaa can be, that was part of his job.  

he also let the program drift.  there were lots of disciplinary issues and the stallions fiasco.  again, as stupid and meaningless as that rule is, and as ridiculously self serving and stupid as the reaction was in the media, its still a rule and someone on his staff broke it and embarassed the program.  he wasnt paying attention.

i dont put some nefarious plot on him as to recruiting.  harbaugh was, by all accounts, always up front with recruits that if the nfl came to him he was going to leave.  the roster this year was always going to be a challenge, but to refute G2's usual harbaugh bashing, he was trying to leave after the previous year when the team that came back was his best.  he didnt leave this year because he knew he couldnt win at the same level, he left because the nfl offered him a job.  

but this team is 75% his fault.  he left and michigan had no backup plan other than sherrone moore.  i know it looked like some great hire when he won 4 games with the best team in college football, but sustaining a program is a lot different when you arent better than 98% of the teams on the planet.

were seeing that this year.  

• Thanks 1