8/25/24 2:10PM Tigers @ White Sox

Tigeraholic1

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

LLWS championship game about to start. Jiayo, Taiwan, jiayo.  If it’s tied after 7 innings, I think the tiebreaker should be a math quiz. 

They are indeed tied 1-1 after 7 but, damn, are still playing baseball instead of switching to math. 

54 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

his terrible start may have killed his chances for ROY, but Keith is an 825 OPS hitter over his last 250 PA - and he's still getting better.

I think that's why they brought up Jace Jung now instead of next year.   Let him go through the growing pains now and maybe come out of the gate next year a little stronger than Keith did. 

But damn, that awful June Swoon.     They really crapped the bed that month.       

This chasing .500 - I guess it's an accomplishment but it shouldn't be. 

21-10, Stanley?     That's cute.      

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think that's why they brought up Jace Jung now instead of next year.   Let him go through the growing pains now and maybe come out of the gate next year a little stronger than Keith did. 

But damn, that awful June Swoon.     They really crapped the bed that month.       

This chasing .500 - I guess it's an accomplishment but it shouldn't be. 

21-10, Stanley?     That's cute.      

Getting hot going into the postseason. I feel it. Let’s do it!!! 

Go Tigers!

Signed,

Eternal Optimist

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if the number is absolute or if it renews if you win the challenge. But even a limited number will drive the umps to start calling closer to whatever ABS does than what they call now because they won't want to be shown up every game.

There's at least 6 to 10 very close pitches per game that could be challenged. I did fund this, not sure if it was implemented?

"For Tuesday-Thursday games in Triple-A and the ABS-equipped FSL parks, the ABS system will call all pitches. The home plate umpire will relay the call after hearing it in their earpiece. The ABS challenge system will be in effective for Friday through Sunday games. The home plate umpire will call pitches, but the batter, pitcher or catcher can appeal their strike call. The ABS system will then rule on whether the call stands or is overturned. Each team gets three unsuccessful challenges per game. Successful challenges do not count toward that total. All challenges must be made within two seconds of the call."

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/milb-rules-changes-for-2024-will-tweak-strike-zone-in-triple-a/

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Tigers can get to .500 tomorrow. If the Tigers finish 21-10 and the Royals finish 14-18, will be tied for final wildcard spot unless Boston or Tampa goes on a run.  Believe?

4 teams in the Central have positive run differentials. Combined they total 20 runs less than the WhiteSox negative differential.

18 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

The 1962 Mets went 40-120. The '24 WSox would have to finish the season 8-24 to have worse record than they had. Winning percentage? IDK, my math is prolly wrong anyway...

Do some long division with chalk on your driveway.

13 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Tigers can get to .500 tomorrow. If the Tigers finish 21-10 and the Royals finish 14-18, will be tied for final wildcard spot unless Boston or Tampa goes on a run.  Believe?

With so many young players on the team, I would imagine Hinch and company are taking some sort of angle like this.  Maybe not necessarily catching the postseason this season in as much as laying the groundwork for next season.  Learning some lessons, building up some camaraderie, creating that culture of expectation.

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Sox downfall the past few seasons is extraordinary. I remember a couple years ago I along with many other people thought they were one of if not the best young and up and coming teams with guys like Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Vaughn, Giolito, Cease, Kopech among others. Just another example that growth from young players isn't guaranteed and sometimes they actually regress.  

Yes, and also, a good player development function is essential, because good raw talent doesn’t generally develop itself.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes, and also, a good player development function is essential, because good raw talent doesn’t generally develop itself.

I always say that development is the key, not just "scouting".  Prospect lists are just names and most on that list will not pan out.   Good organizations make good/great players more than they find good/great players.  They are not finished products when you get your hands on them.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And that ABS is really going to take away from the importance of having a catcher who is good at "framing" the pitches. You know, cheating. 😁

In all seriousness, I think framing is more gaming than cheating, since there’s no rule against it, there’s an expectation catchers are going to do it, and umpires are presumably on guard against the most egregious attempts.

OTOH, Gaylord Perry doctoring the ball? Charming or not, that’s definitely cheating. There is a rule against that, the expectation is that pitchers won’t try to break the rule, and umpires shouldn’t have to be super vigilant against it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I always say that development is the key, not just "scouting".  Prospect lists are just names and most on that list will not pan out.   Good organizations make good/great players more than they find good/great players.  They are not finished products when you get your hands on them.

I think this is the question of the ages in baseball - given enough time and effort, can you teach anyone to hit MLB pitching, or is it more a matter of sifting through the population to find the very extreme tail of the distribution of the gene pool who were born able to do it? I tend to think it's both. That fact that someone was born with the right genes is no guarantee they ever optimize what they have, but I have to think most young players are going to turn out not to have the hardware no matter what you do with them. 

And of course what's weird about baseball is that pitching and hitting are such different skill sets with such different 'hardware' requirements that the methods of scouting and development for one are not necessarily optimal for the other.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

In all seriousness, I think framing is more gaming than cheating, since there’s no rule against it, there’s an expectation catchers are going to do it, and umpires are presumably on guard against the most egregious attempts.

OTOH, Gaylord Perry doctoring the ball? Charming or not, that’s definitely cheating. There is a rule against that, the expectation is that pitchers won’t try to break the rule, and umpires shouldn’t have to be super vigilant against it. 

Framing is absolutely more gamesmanship than it is cheating.  

There is a point where some forms of gamesmanship can cross a line to where it starts to impact the quality of the game.    I can think to the “Hack A Shaq” 4th quarter immediate fouling of a poor FT shooter or the Eagles Tush Push play.  All technically legal but taking advantage of an unintended loophole that hurts the overall quality of competition.  

I don’t see how poor umpiring is good for the game.  Outlawing framing would be a very easy way to help the umps miss fewer calls.   

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, it was mostly a joke. But framing will be a thing of the past, a lost art. Kinda like bunting....