8/26/24 8:10PM Tigers @ White Sox

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I do see we still have some Pacific time zone games with San Diego and Oakland on the schedule, times which I hate to endure, although for you in the Eastern Time Zone it really really sucks. 

hell, I start getting itchy for the games to start around 3:00 (now-ish my time), and I'm an hour west of you. I've really gotten to like having it wrapped up by around 6-6:30 PM so I can focus on other ways to waste time all evening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kdog said:

Hidden move on that list is Baez getting put on the 60 Day DL. He is getting right hip surgery.

Hmm. Oddly enough that  reduces whatever odds there were that they would not bring him back next season. Now he is pretty much guaranteed to be back at least for ST to see how he is. Or if they find something serous in the hip I suppose a medical retirement becomes an option.

2 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Wentz survives and Sammons goes to Toledo? I don't get that at all.

I'm going to guess that it's a matter of slots for long relievers for bullpen days. rotation is Skubal, Montero, Madden, opener+Maeda, and occasional BP day. so there may not be room for him to work regularly the way the team wants him to work now that there's another actual starter, whereas he can presumably do that in Toledo.

Báez returned to Detroit over the weekend to undergo further evaluation. The verdict was he needed an arthroscopic hip procedure. The Tigers transferred Báez to the 60-day injured list Monday, making room on the 40-man roster for right-handed pitcher Ty Madden, who was set to debut against the White Sox.

In a way, the Tigers seem to be running it up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

But these don’t seem like moves done out of desperation either. It’s “let’s see what we’ve got!”

I’m really enjoying this. And here I thought this last part of the season would be a death march. 

29 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Hmm. Oddly enough that  reduces whatever odds there were that they would not bring him back next season. Now he is pretty much guaranteed to be back at least for ST to see how he is. Or if they find something serous in the hip I suppose a medical retirement becomes an option.

I like the idea of “medical retirement option.” It sounds too good to be true. 

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

In a way, the Tigers seem to be running it up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

But these don’t seem like moves done out of desperation either. It’s “let’s see what we’ve got!”

I’m really enjoying this. And here I thought this last part of the season would be a death march. 

I like the way the braintrust is handling things. Javy gets needed surgery and we find out what else we have to work with.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

How soon before the beginning of the game itself does the pregame show usually start? I’m kind of a neophyte when it comes to watching these games on TV. It’s been a while. 

the mlb.tv stream is up at least an hour before first pitch. probably even a few hours. the Bally pregame probably starts on an even half-hour, so 5:30 MDT in this case.

4 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

How soon before the beginning of the game itself does the pregame show usually start? I’m kind of a neophyte when it comes to watching these games on TV. It’s been a while. 

40 minutes. So 10 minutes from now.

13 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Are they just being extra careful with Riley or are his legs still an issue?

Guessing the being in the middle of 14 straight game days has something to do with it.  Plus, gotta see what McKinstry has in LF.

Just now, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

the mlb.tv stream is up at least an hour before first pitch. probably even a few hours. the Bally pregame probably starts on an even half-hour, so 5:30 MDT in this case.

Thx. I remember in the very old days of satellite TV — like 40 years ago you could just watch an unfiltered camera view of the playing field while people mumbled and talked and moved around in the background. 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

Wentz survives and Sammons goes to Toledo? I don't get that at all. Would Wentz even get claimed on waivers? Would we care?

They've carried Wentz so long at this point you might as well keep him through the end of season - left handers are notorious for being late developers and the cost of seeing where he is next Spring is now pretty small. If they  DFA him even now he'd almost certainly get picked up - he's a left hander with a pulse.

Edited by gehringer_2