8/27/24 6:40PM Angels @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

we have no shot at the playoffs, there’s only a month left in the season anyway, 

I think this is the reason.  While it is extremely unlikely, we are now only 5.5 games out.  And only 1.5 games behind the only team between us and the 3rd wild card team.  And we play that team 3 times this weekend. 

Obviously, it would take a miracle, but we have gained 5 games in a short time and our schedule is to our advantage.  We play a number of bad teams, and/or teams we would be competing with.  If we get swept this weekend, any hope is completely gone.  If we take care of business with the Angels and win 2 out of 3, or sweep against Boston, then all of a sudden we are 4th in a 3 team race for the wild card and likely only 2-4 games out.  (And we still have a series with Colorado and one against Chicago to close the season)

49 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don’t care about the playoffs. Just keep doing what they are. Progress. I keep expecting the wheels to come off any moment. 

I'm not at all concerned about the wheels coming off for this team this season as it relates to wins and losses. I would be concerned if wheels started coming off in terms of injuries, or in sudden backslides in process or performance.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Oh, I see the confusion. I didn't mean Perez is great or a great player. I meant he was a great option for the bench, depth. He can hit a little, quick on the bases and he has a little pop in his bat. As an every day player? Not so much. But he's capable of filling in if necessary. If it were a choice of him over McKinstry? Perez would be my pick, I hate seeing McKinstry playing the infield. Ever.

I think Wenceel is only average bench depth for an outfielder. Great bench depth would be, he has a really good stick if bad defense, which would make him a decent fourth outfielder option if you have a strikeout artist and/or a RHH-heavy batting order in a game. He would also make a decent fifth outfielder if he had a ****ty stick but a great glove, where most of his reps are as a late-inning defensive replacement, pinch runner, or garbage-time pinch hitter.

Wenceel, as currently constructed, is neither of these. He is a meh hitter who, in the field, has the range of a 24-year-old rookie but also a noodle for an arm, which makes him an iffy choice for right field. He would actually be better-suited to left field, since our left field is pretty expansive, but left is already spoken for.

But, in the end, I don't think Wenceel has a place on any team that has present playoff aspirations. I think his future is either second-division backup outfielder, or starter for either a last-place team or a team hobbled by injuries.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Fun fact: for the month of August. in 59 trips to the plate, "McStinky" is slashing .333/.390/.519, good for a 159 wRC+. He has raised his batting average during that time from .175 to .213.

Zach has improved against breaking balls this season which has made his ABs more competitive.

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Wenceel is only average bench depth for an outfielder. Great bench depth would be, he has a really good stick if bad defense, which would make him a decent fourth outfielder option if you have a strikeout artist and/or a RHH-heavy batting order in a game. He would also make a decent fifth outfielder if he had a ****ty stick but a great glove, where most of his reps are as a late-inning defensive replacement, pinch runner, or garbage-time pinch hitter.

Wenceel, as currently constructed, is neither of these. He is a meh hitter who, in the field, has the range of a 24-year-old rookie but also a noodle for an arm, which makes him an iffy choice for right field. He would actually be better-suited to left field, since our left field is pretty expansive, but left is already spoken for.

But, in the end, I don't think Wenceel has a place on any team that has present playoff aspirations. I think his future is either second-division backup outfielder, or starter for either a last-place team or a team hobbled by injuries.

But McKinstry is an important player? IMO, he has no place on any decent team, lef alone a contender. Jeez, we just got rid of Javy's weak bat, it's time to move on from McStinky. I would take Perez on the bench over him any day.

Edited by Sports_Freak

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Zach has improved against breaking balls this season which has made his ABs more competitive.

I think it's at least 50-50 he shows up to camp in February. Somewhat less than 50-50 he breaks north with us.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

Just now, Sports_Freak said:

But McKinstry is an important player? IMO, he has no place on any decent team, left alone a contender. Jeez, we just got rid of Javy's weak bat, it's time to move on from McStinky. I would take Perez on the bench over him any day.

I agree that McKinstry would not be an important player for a playoff team. In our current position, though, McKinstry is more valuable for what we need than Wenceel Perez is.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I agree that McKinstry would not be an important player for a playoff team. In our current position, though, McKinstry is more valuable for what we need than Wenceel Perez is.

Yeah, he can play several positions. Not very good at any of them but he's a body they can pencil in at SS, 3rd or a corner outfield. He doesn't have the arm for 3rd base, has very limited range at SS and no instincts in the OF. But we need his LH bat in the lineup? Jeez...he's almost up to .220. Hinch's buddy...

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think it's at least 50-50 he shows up to camp in February. Somewhat less than 50-50 he breaks north with us.

He's under control, he's not expensive, he can plug holes, and some of the  competition for backup IF that was once on the table has faded (Wenceel has been moved off IF, Kreidler's bat won't play even as utility) and now add the possibility that Baez might be done. I think they are relatively happy with McK and Ibanez as a utiity L/R pair - so I'll go a little further on the limb and predict he is a lock to be at ST.

and make it double lock if Jung doesn't hit the rest of the way.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

He's under control, he's not expensive, he can plug holes, and some of the  competition for backup IF that was once on the table has faded (Wenceel has been moved off IF, Kreidler's bat won't play even as utility) and now add the possibility that Baez might be done. I think they are relatively happy with McK and Ibanez as a utiity L/R pair - so I'll go a little further on the limb and predict he is a lock to be at ST.

If the Tigers trade for or sign a SS, Zach's gone. If he is here, it means we failed to upgrade a very important position. I just don't see any upside with him on the roster, but Hinch seems to really like the scrub. 😆

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, he can play several positions. Not very good at any of them but he's a body they can pencil in at SS, 3rd or a corner outfield. He doesn't have the arm for 3rd base, has very limited range at SS and no instincts in the OF. But we need his LH bat in the lineup? Jeez...he's almost up to .220. Hinch's buddy...

If by "not very good" you mean not at all good, that's not true. McKinstry has been a plus defender at multiple positions, notably at second base and shortstop, and that's pretty valuable when you need help there, which we have a lot, as you know. Wenceel Perez can't help us there, and Ibanez is no good at short. So we need Zach McKinstry right now, for the time being.

Plus, McKinstry has enough glove to play in the outfield at times when guys like Riley need a rest or play DH. He has value for a team that needs what he can offer, and we do have that need. If we were a playoff team, we wouldn't need him, because we'd have enough good players not to. And we're working our way toward that. So don't worry: Zach McKinstry's days here are numbered.

27 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If the Tigers trade for or sign a SS, Zach's gone. If he is here, it means we failed to upgrade a very important position. I just don't see any upside with him on the roster, but Hinch seems to really like the scrub. 😆

Sweeny is the Tigers SS going forward IMO.

4 minutes ago, Dino said:

Sweeny is the Tigers SS going forward IMO.

I agree he'll be given every chance. We have to pay Javy for 3 more seasons? That blows any chance of signing a big name SS, so we need a young player to step forward. If Sweeny shows he can't handle it, we'll either sign a utility type player or trade for one. Time will tell...

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I'm not at all concerned about the wheels coming off for this team this season as it relates to wins and losses. I would be concerned if wheels started coming off in terms of injuries, or in sudden backslides in process or performance.

I’m thinking specifically of the bullpens games.  I’m not suggesting it will.  Just that is what my brain is expecting. A too good to be true kind of thing.  This can’t go on can it?  Maybe I remember the wings in February of this year.