8/27/24 6:40PM Angels @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I wonder if Harris would claim Smyly and other pitchers who get waived over the next few days?

Smyly over Wentz is an easy upgrade for nothing more than $.

Smyly's OPS against for RH batters is 120 points less than Wentz. Drew is 35 but looking at his results he's not showing any signs of arm decay.

it all comes down to a decision on whether Wentz has untapped upside. if you are going to end up cutting him next year at the end of ST then passing on a pickup like Smyly to protect Wentz is just dumb. If they still believe they are going to turn him into something then that's that.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Smyly's OPS against for RH batters is 120 points less than Wentz. Drew is 35 but looking at his results he's not showing any signs of arm decay.

it all comes down to a decision on whether Wentz has untapped upside. if you are going to end up cutting him next year at the end of ST then passing on a pickup like Smyly to protect Wentz is just dumb. If they still believe they are going to turn him into something then that's that.

I'm not sure how many guys they need to add to the 40 man to protect against the rule 5 draft. Wentz might not even make it past that. 

Plus four guys on the 60 day IL need to be on the roster. I doubt Wentz makes it.

Edited by Tigermojo

I was still home by midnight. Back in the old days when I would go with a certain friend all the time, that wasn't unusual.  The 7 start time, a 3+ hour game, driving him home first... it wasn't so bad last night.  I was the only one sitting in the box seats of sections 213-217.  I went downstairs to get another beer and was standing there watching and an usher told me to go on down there if I wanted as long as I am not obnoxious.  So I did.  Almost got a ball in the ninth but I had my beer in my left hand so I couldn't turn around fast enough as it bounced off the facade.  I grabbed it with my left hand but another guy had a better angle.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And Jason says we're within 5.5 games of a wild card. Just keep winning games.

They can catch the Red Sox this week.  Then they just need to catch one of their central brethren.  It's not likely with their depleted staff, but doable.  

10 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Mize and Perez getting healthy. Olson was supposed to pitch his second bullpen session today.

I gotta be honest with you: I don't envision Mize being a big part of the next playoff teams. I see him playing the Dave Rozema circa 1984 role, at best.

As for Wenceel, I don't see him on that team at all.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

And if the Smyly thing doesn't work out, there are other ex-Tigers we could always bring back ... Buck Farmer and Shane Greene and Justin Wilson are still out there ... the Angels probably can't use Matt Moore anymore ... Nick Ramirez is probably on his last leg with the Dodgers ... maybe the Braves will DFA Joe Jimenez ... hey, too bad Michael Fulmer is out with TJ ... 😏

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I gotta be honest with you: I don't envision Mize being a big part of the next playoff teams. I see him playing the Dave Rozema circa 1984 role, at best.

Mize was pretty irked when Det put him on the 60 day IL. I won't be surprised to see him go the Spencer Turnbull route and end up leaving

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

And if the Smyly thing doesn't work out, there are other ex-Tigers we could always bring back ... Buck Farmer and Shane Greene and Justin Wilson are still out there ... the Angels probably can't use Matt Moore anymore ... Nick Ramirez is probably on his last leg with the Dodgers ... maybe the Braves will DFA Joe Jimenez ... hey, too bad Michael Fulmer is out with TJ ... 😏

Has nothing to do with Smyly being an alum, he’s simply a better LHP than Wentz as of today and the cost is rounding error close to zero. 

unless they still have an idea Wentz is going to improve there is no reason to keep him since there are better options. If they do, they will. 

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, Wenceel doesn’t have a role other than insurance in case of Parker’s bat going South again. Greene and Parker are going to play against most LHP. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah, Wenceel doesn’t have a role other than insurance in case of Parker’s bat going South again. Greene and Parker are going to play against most LHP. 

Yes, that, and he’s not a first division starter by any stretch. 

Has nothing to do with Smyly being an alum, he’s simply a better LHP than Wentz as of today and the cost is rounding error close to zero. 

I said that because I am always amused by how multiple posters, not just you, frequently name only ex-Tigers as the guys we should be trading for or signing. There are literally dozens of left-handed relievers who have a better FIP than Drew Smyly—in fact, he’s 43rd of 49, one slot worse than, of all people, Joey Wentz—yet people say they want us to trade for or sign Smyly because why? Well, near as I can figure, it’s because he’s top of mind. We remember him. He’s a Devil We Know.

While we’re at it, why not reacquire Tyler Alexander? He’s 41st in FIP, better than both Wentz and Smyly, and I would bet that the Rays wouldn’t even ask for Max Clark in return. 😁

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Great bench depth. Switch hitter with a bit of pop who can also run the bases. 

Is he great, though? Not as currently constructed, I dont think. If he improves several core attributes, especially his defense, he could be a great fourth outfielder because he does have some bat potential. That’s a tall order for most guys, I believe. 

33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

why not reacquire

Smyly's name came up because he is freely available for the cost of waiver pickup (depending on the Tigers waiver priority and who else is interested). So no real effort to acquire/trade required. And if someone better than that hit the waiver wire they should do their due diligence there as well.

Edited by gehringer_2

33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I said that because I am always amused by how multiple posters, not just you, frequently name only ex-Tigers as the guys we should be trading for or signing. There are literally dozens of left-handed relievers who have a better FIP than Drew Smyly—in fact, he’s 43rd of 49, one slot worse than, of all people, Joey Wentz—yet people say they want us to trade for or sign Smyly because why? Well, near as I can figure, it’s because he’s top of mind. We remember him. He’s a Devil We Know.

While we’re at it, why not reacquire Tyler Alexander? He’s 41st in FIP, better than both Wentz and Smyly, and I would bet that the Rays wouldn’t even ask for Max Clark in return. 😁

one reason people are discussing claiming Smyly on waivers is that he has been placed on waivers

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is he great, though? Not as currently constructed, I dont think. If he improves several core attributes, especially his defense, he could be a great fourth outfielder because he does have some bat potential. That’s a tall order for most guys, I believe. 

His defense is fine, he struggled when first called up but he's servicable. A strong bench is hard to build these days, the Tigers could do worse (Baddoo).

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

His defense is fine, he struggled when first called up but he's servicable. A strong bench is hard to build these days, the Tigers could do worse (Baddoo).

At various times they have decided to or not to carry 5 OFs. Since McKinstry and Ibanez can both go to LF when needed they don't *need* a 5th OF. If you figure that DH is split 100% of the time by Greene and Carpenter, maybe you want a 5th OF.

At various times they have decided to or not to carry 5 OFs. Since McKinstry and Ibanez can both go to LF when needed they don't *need* a 5th OF. If you figure that DH is split 100% of the time by Greene and Carpenter, maybe you want a 5th OF.

I'm not a McKinstry fan. I know Hinch loves him but he should be gone. We have plenty of backup infielders and his weak LH bat is redundant. OF backup could be Perez and Carpenter. The player I like best in RF is Vierling. So yeah, 6 outfielders if you include Ibanez, who can also play 2nd base and 3rd base. That's a decent bench.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Great bench depth. Switch hitter with a bit of pop who can also run the bases. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Oh, I see the confusion. I didn't mean Perez is great or a great player. I meant he was a great option for the bench, depth. He can hit a little, quick on the bases and he has a little pop in his bat. As an every day player? Not so much. But he's capable of filling in if necessary. If it were a choice of him over McKinstry? Perez would be my pick, I hate seeing McKinstry playing the infield. Ever.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Smyly's

But why bother pickng up Smyly off waivers when he is not any better at pitching than Wentz is, we have no shot at the playoffs, there’s only a month left in the season anyway, and Smyly has literally no chance at any future with this team? And this before we even contemplate that we already have two other left-handers in the pen as it is. What does this do other than make older fans who remember when Smyly once pitch for us somewhat happy for a news cycle?