2003 Tigers vs. the 2024 White Sox

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Interestingly, about half those pitchers had ERA+ above 100.  Low strikeout rates didn't matter in the 40s.  It's a lot harder (if not impossible) to get away with that today.  

Yes, and also, if you have a super low ERA+ (i.e., super high ERA), chances are you're not getting 150 innings in a season.

With a win in game 144 the White Sox are now at 33-111. The '03 Tigers were at 37-107, so 4 games ahead of the '24 Sox. The Tigers managed to get 6 more wins in the last 18 games of the season so the Sox will need 10 wins to tie the '03 Tigers or 11 to get ahead. So far the White Sox had accumulated just six wins since the All Star break, so I can't say as it seems terribly likely that they'll get 10 in 2.5 weeks.

The absolutely best the White Sox can do now is 51 wins. Even if they win out and the Marlins and/or Rockies lose out, the White Sox will still finish 3 games behind those teams.

@ game 145

1962 Mets    35-110  (they actually had a tie that season)

2003 Tigers   37-108

2024 White Sux 33-112

In order to avoid breaking the Mets 40-120-1 record,  The White Sux have go go 7-10 the rest of the way.   (technically they would break the Mets record even if they get to 40 wins because they'd go 40-122), but I don't want them reaching 40 wins............I hate White Sox fans.   Yeah, yeah, yeah........"DE-TROIT SUCKS!"    Doesn't have quite the impact when there's 250 people at a game chanting it.   

Last 17,  I think they'll go 4-13.   I think they finish at 37-125.        

Nashville doesn't even want ya.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

@ game 145

1962 Mets    35-110  (they actually had a tie that season)

2003 Tigers   37-108

2024 White Sux 33-112

In order to avoid breaking the Mets 40-120-1 record,  The White Sux have go go 7-10 the rest of the way.   (technically they would break the Mets record even if they get to 40 wins because they'd go 40-122), but I don't want them reaching 40 wins............I hate White Sox fans.   Yeah, yeah, yeah........"DE-TROIT SUCKS!"    Doesn't have quite the impact when there's 250 people at a game chanting it.   

Last 17,  I think they'll go 4-13.   I think they finish at 37-125.        

Nashville doesn't even want ya.  

Post of the year

After 150 games, Sox are 35-115.  They need to go 8-4 to tie the 2003 Tigers.  They have 6 games with the Angels which helps their cause.  They also have the Padres, who are battling for playoff positioning.  Finish against the Tigers who could be in a must win position for the playoffs.

After 150 games, the 2003 Tigers were 38-112.

White Sox are riding a 2 game winning streak which leaps their win total in September to 4. Incidentally 4 wins is also how many the Sox had from the All-Star break thru to the end of August, so they're doing much better in September.

As Oblong just said: 6 against the Angels, 3 against the Padres, and 3 against the Tigers to finish up the year.

Let's generously estimate and say they win 2 of 3 from the Angels twice, 1 of 3 from the Padres and the Tigers. That's 6 wins. 41 total wins for the season and 121 losses. That would be a new modern MLB record in terms of losses. You'd have to go back to the 1899 Spiders for a worse record.

Game 153 is now done.

After a three game win streak the Sox dropped the next two. Currently the Sox are 36 and 117.

The 2003 Tigers, at game 153, were at 38-115. Game 153 for them was the 7th game of a 10-game losing streak that had most of us convinced they would break the modern "most games lost" record of 120 games. The next three games, all losses, would all but seal the Tigers fate. They stood at 38-118 with 6 games to go. No one really figured they had a chance to go 5-1 and just miss 120 games.

Right now the Sox have 9 games left and need to win 6 of them to avoid breaking the record:

Next 3 against the Padres
Then 3 against the Angels
Finished up with 3 against the Tigers.

I honestly hope they win at least three of those six against before the Tigers. I would love to be the team that gives them loss number 121.

36-119.

I hope they win two of the next three because my wife and I are going to the Thursday afternoon White Sox game with friends of hers and I would like to see them go for #121 then. Otherwise, I’ll have to go Tuesday and/or Wednesday to see it.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

36-119.

I hope they win two of the next three because my wife and I are going to the Thursday afternoon White Sox game with friends of hers and I would like to see them go for #121 then. Otherwise, I’ll have to go Tuesday and/or Wednesday to see it.

?  I hope they don’t win another game

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You gotta hand it to the White Sox social media team: they have a sense of humor about all this. 

That said, once daddy finds out, they are so fired.

I have to assume after this season, everyone from the peanut vendor to the bullpen catcher is getting fired. Might as well make a name for yourself on the way out the door.