2003 Tigers vs. the 2024 White Sox

3 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Growing up in Indiana I was forced to watch the Hawk...... The worst homer of all time.

Growing up before regional sports networks were a thing, watching ChiSox games on WGN was all I had unless the Tigers were on UPN50.  I share your pain.

Edited by monkeytargets39

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I enjoyed Hawk.  He was a character and baseball needs those.

I agree. I hated him at first, but as I was forced to hear him more I grew to like him a lot. All local guys are massive homer's, so I don't get why Hawk took so much grief for being a ChiSox slappy. It's literally part of the job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

Of 29 players appearing at the plate, the White Sox have only three players listed as having an OPS+ of at least 100. Two of them (Yoan Mocada, 117 OPS+ in 45 PAs; Tommy Pham, 104 OPS+ in 297 PAs) are long gone. Only one is left: Greg Vaughn, 101 OPS+ in 593 PAs.

(1)  Is he related to Andrew Vaughn?

(2)  Does knowing who Greg Vaughn is make me old?

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I agree. I hated him at first, but as I was forced to hear him more I grew to like him a lot. All local guys are massive homer's, so I don't get why Hawk took so much grief for being a ChiSox slappy. It's literally part of the job.

Really the only difference between him and Mickey Redmond is just a few degrees.  I don't look for objectivity in my home announcers.  I want them rooting for my team and speaking about things from my perspective.   I loved how sometimes he'd talk about Jim Price and they'd bust each other's balls.

58 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

We all talk about Mize not really panning out like we thought he would as a 1-1 and lacking a strikeout/put-away pitch….

but if you took his season this year and placed him on the 2003 Tigers, he would lead the team in K/9 by a WIDE margin.

Everybody would have led the 2003 Tigers in K/9 by a wide margin. You would have led the 2003 Tigers in K/9 by a wide margin

18 minutes ago, oblong said:

Really the only difference between him and Mickey Redmond is just a few degrees.  I don't look for objectivity in my home announcers.  I want them rooting for my team and speaking about things from my perspective.   I loved how sometimes he'd talk about Jim Price and they'd bust each other's balls.

I expect my radio and TV announcers to be on the side of the team, and talk about the game from the team's perspective, as in, "Tigers need to score some runs here", but I don't like it when they root for a team like a slappy fan would, as in, "come on, boys, let's score some runs! Go, Tigers!" That's the clear line of professionalism I draw.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

Of 29 players appearing at the plate, the White Sox have only three players listed as having an OPS+ of at least 100. Two of them (Yoan Mocada, 117 OPS+ in 45 PAs; Tommy Pham, 104 OPS+ in 297 PAs) are long gone. Only one is left: Greg Vaughn, 101 OPS+ in 593 PAs.

The Tigers were running lineups out in July that had no one in the lineup with and an OPS+ above 100.

Fortune smiled on me last night. I had gotten all the way down to 26th and Western when the radio told me the game was delayed with no expected start time, so I turned around and went home. I was going alone and I didn’t want to hang out who knows how many hours just to have them postpone or cancel.

The game did start up about an hour late, so I thought I would certainly lose my chance to see baseball infamy, but the Sox overcame a 2-0 deficit with three runs in the eighth, and then hung on by what’s left of their fingernails for the win over a better last-place team.

Now the Sox are going for loss 121 tonight, and it’s going to be a nice night, so I’ll definitely be there. And if they win tonight, my wife and i are already going on Thursday afternoon with friends of hers, so my chances of seeing #121 are prettehhh, prettehhh, pretteh good.

And if the White Sox happen to sweep the Angels, I’ll be coming in to Detroit to (hopefully) see the Tigers clinch over them.

If the White Sox end up winning out the rest of their games, a la 2003 Tigers … well, I won’t know what else to say at that point except “baseball, man.”

Like the 2003 Tigers, the Sox are pushing through a bit of a winning streak to end the years. They are actually 5-5 in their last ten games... a .500 record! They've won two in a row. That's the good news.

The bad news is that unlike the Tigers they've already hit 120 losses and even winning out means they'll finish worse than the '03 Tigers and at least tied for the most losses in the WS era. And there does not appear to be any way that the Tigers can clinch a playoff spot prior to that first game against Chicago so the Tigers will not be coasting... at least for that first game. The chance that the Sox don't lose at least one more game is very low.

Still, giving them credit where it's due... they've already won as many games in September as they did in all of July and August combined.