Week One: Los Angeles Rams (0-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-0)

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.c6320496305449dbed4c063d8042c871.png          vs.          RAMSLOGOGDT.png.fd299d24ede1efe2a4aba4ef644e5370.png

Setting: 09/08/2024 8:20pm EST on NBC

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Lions -3.5

All-Time Series Record: Rams lead, 45-42-1

Last Meeting: 01/14/2024, Lions won 24-23 (2024 NFC Super Wildcard Weekend)

Los Angeles Rams (0-0)

Head Coach: Sean McVay (8th Season: 70-45)

Projected Starting QB: John Matthew Stafford (16th Season: 98-107-1)

Last Season/Game: 10-7, finished 2nd in NFC West, 24-23 L @ Detroit Lions in NFC Super Wildcard Weekend

Preseason: 2-1 (13-12 W v. Dallas Cowboys, 13-9 W @ Los Angeles Chargers, 17-15 L @ Houston Texans)

Looking Ahead to Week #2: Sunday @ Arizona Cardinals (0-0)

lions_rams_gdt.jpg.8f0fa301dde717d50ff18ab590b563c3.jpg

Your Detroit Lions (0-0)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (4th Season: 24-26-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (9th Season: 66-50-1)

Last Season/Game: 12-5, NFC North Champions, 34-31 L @ San Francisco 49ers in NFC Championship Game

Preseason: 2-1 (14-3 L @ New York Giants, 24-23 W @ Kansas City Chiefs, 24-17 W v. Pittsburgh Steelers)

Looking Ahead to Week #2: Sunday v. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-0)

lionsramsgdt2.jpg.bc396e9b3bfe2ff8b2c2852d8a1e06a5.jpg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Ravens @ Chiefs (TNF), Packers @ Eagles (Friday Night in São Paulo, Brazil), Jets @ 49ers (MNF)

1:00pm: Panthers @ Saints, Vikings @ Giants, Patriots @ Bengals, Steelers @ Falcons, Texans @ Colts, Cardinals @ Bills, Titans @ Bears, Jaguars @ Dolphins

4:05/4:25pm: Broncos @ Seahawks, Raiders @ Chargers, Cowboys @ Browns, Commanders @ Buccaneers

lionsramsgdt3.thumb.jpg.cf617422acb6c28cf6050e52113b11f5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My preview as I see it... The NFL is a week-to-week league, where player health determines as much as overall roster talent does.

Injuries/Game Statuses: Obviously we won't know player statuses for sure for another week or so, but right now it is looking like the Lions will be without Brodric Martin (on IR), Iffy Melifonwu, and maybe DJ Reader, though I wouldn't completely count him out just yet. Sewell has not practiced since rolling his ankle, but Campbell said he is optimistic that he will be back for the Rams. I'd be shocked if he doesn't play. Everyone else who was injured during the offseason, including Reynolds, LaPorta, Gibbs, Zeitler, Arnold, CDIII, and Rakestraw practiced on the last walkthrough before cutdowns, and are presumably 90% or better for week one. In an ideal world, all of those guys are 100% and you have no injuries at all, but that was never going to be a reality on a Dan Campbell led team. We are about as good as you could hope for heading into week one.

The Rams on the other hand... Their starting LT Alaric Jackson is suspended for two weeks, so he won't be there. Their starting RT Rob Havenstein hasn't practiced in about a month with an ankle injury, and seems likely to be out, though McVay said he is "hoping" he will recover enough to be out there. Two of their backup tackles are starting the season on IR. Reserve Joe Noteboom (who has no experience at LT and was replaced as the starting RG in 2023 after earning a 52.3 PFF grade), Warren McClendon (a 2023 5th round pick who has only recorded five career snaps), and AJ Arcuri (who spent all of 2023 on the practice squad) are the only three remaining tackles on the roster as of today. Our old friend Jonah Jackson is likely to play after missing most of camp with a shoulder injury, but it sounds as if they will have him playing center, while sophomore Steve Avila remains at left guard. Their initial plan was to have Avila slide to his college position of center and have Jackson at LG, but I'm guessing Avila has not developed enough at center for them to trust him starting there, particularly with the depleted line as it is. Jackson only ever played center here on an emergency basis. On the bright side for the Rams, their RG Kevin Dotson is just chilling.

Outside of their offensive line woes, Tyler Higbee is starting the season on the PUP and Puka Nacua has been dealing with a knee injury in camp but is expected to be fine for week one.

Roster Evaluations: As far as overall roster goes, as we all know the Lions remain mostly intact on offense, with the lone departure being Josh Reynolds. Jamo is expected to fill the WR2 role while the WR3 role remains a question mark for now. With an otherwise healthy cast of weapons around Goff, I think they'll make do just fine until one of Tim Patrick, Allen Robinson, or maybe even DPJ steps up. On defense, the front seven will look nearly identical to how it did in the playoff game, with the additions of Marcus Davenport and James Houston on the edge opposite Hutch. I expect that defensive line to feast on the depleted offensive line of the Rams and force Stafford out of the pocket, which he doesn't love to do at age 36. The secondary is completely overhauled from the playoff game. Brian Branch, Kerby Joseph, and Kindle Vildor are the only remaining players who were here in the secondary 8 months ago. That said, the rookie debuts of Arnold and Rakestraw may not be as memorable as Branch's was last year. Between Nacua and Kupp, I think Stafford will have some success downfield, if his offensive line can give him some semblance of protection.

For the Rams, their offense looks similar to last years. I've already discussed their offensive line, but they also added Blake Corum in the draft. It remains to be seen what kind of role he will have as a rookie. On defense, they lost one of the greatest of all time in Aaron Donald. They sought to replace him in the draft with DE Jared Verse and DT Bradon Fiske. Those two have massive shoes to fill. They'll be in for a challenge against Detroit's veteran offensive line. The Lions weren't the only ones to overhaul their secondary in the offseason, as the Rams acquired Darious Williams, Tre'Davious White, and Kamren Curl in free agency.

Game Plans: I think the Lions will have the same game plan they've had since Dan Campbell took over. Control the ground attack on both sides of the ball. There are going to be two rookies on the Rams defensive line. Bully them into submission as a welcome to the NFL. Impose your will, 4-7 yard gains at a time. Mix in the short yard, high percentage passes to ASB and LaPorta, particularly if the Rams drop defensive backs into the box. Try to get Jamo in space on a few over the middle. On defense, don't allow the offensive line woes divert you from what has won you games in the past. Whether it's Kyren Williams or Blake Corum on the ground, focus energy first on stuffing that. Don't give an inch. When you force Stafford into 3rd and longs, bully the depth on both sides. Look for Davenport and McNeill to have big games if they try to double Hutchinson. I expect Hutch will float though, and they will put him in positions to succeed around the edge.

For the Rams, they are going to try to pick on the new-and-improved secondary. Terrion Arnold will need to tread water.  I expect they will not have a lot of five or seven-step drops in the playbook, but rely on quick outs to Nacua and Kupp. Anzalone and Campbell will also need to have good games in coverage or they're just going to dink and dunk down the field how the Seahawks did with Geno Smith last year when they had a depleted offensive line.

Recap and Prediction: I think these are two really good teams. Both should make the playoffs and either could win the NFC with the right breaks in the playoffs. But... at least for week one... the wrong breaks are hitting the Rams. In 2022, when the Rams went 5-12, a major reason why was their offensive line. They addressed it in the 2023 offseason, and they improved dramatically. One converted 3rd and goal in wildcard weekend and it was probably them facing the 49ers in the NFCCG instead of the Lions last year. Their offensive line in week one will look far more reminiscent of 2022 than 2023. When the Lions are 'on' their game plan, they can beat anybody in the NFL. And they should be able to run the ball and stuff the run against the Rams. The Rams are still well coached and they will be ready; McVay is 6-1 in week one games with the Rams, with an average margin of victory of 16 points across those six wins. All the same, I expect the Lions to win this rematch.

Lions 31 Rams 23

• Thanks 2

Still crazy to me that the Rams are looking to make Jonah Jackson a week one center after he missed pretty much all of camp. He's only played 24 career snaps at center, and they all came in emergency fashion in 2021, when both Ragnow and Evan Brown were hurt.

It also makes him the second highest paid center in NFL history.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

What to expect;

I'm curious to see where they go with it this year.

Last year, some of the stuff they unveiled was obviously planned (e.g., the throwback helmet being debuted on Monday Night and then brought back in the Week 18 game against Minnesota that turned out to be meaningless), but other stuff seemed to come up as they went (e.g., introducing streamers and fireworks into the rafters for week 18 and the playoffs).

Likewise, they brought in some new aspects like the electronic wristbands (featured in the video) that were really, really cool. Introduced on Monday Night, and then again for the playoffs. And then rally towels for the Divisional Round. I'm a much bigger fan of rally towels than I am the 3rd down signs, because the signs just obstruct everyone's view.

They've come a long way from the days of 2021, where every game was a 1pm start and half the upper bowl was empty by the time they won a game. Lots of opportunities this season: Sunday Night against the Rams, Monday Night against the Seahawks, Thanksgiving against the Bears, Thursday Night against the Packers............ An NFC Conference Championship Game?

I hope they continue to get creative and introduce new pieces to keep fans screaming.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 12:00 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

Most anticipated season in Lions franchise history. Expectations have never been higher. And I'm not even anxious, just excited.

Which season do you think was anticipated more? This season or the 1992 season when they were coming off going 12-4 in 1991, playing in the NFC Championship Game against Washington, and had Barry on the roster?

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Which season do you think was anticipated more? This season or the 1992 season when they were coming off going 12-4 in 1991, playing in the NFC Championship Game against Washington, and had Barry on the roster?

I wasn't yet born in 1992, so I can't compare sentiments with any certainty.

But, putting my historian hat on, I think the writing was on the wall with the 92 team that isn't here today. They lost two guards (one tragically) and got worse at both positions, which was certainly a contributing factor to Barry having one of his worst seasons (yet still making the Pro Bowl). The line was the stalwart of the 1991 team (like the 2023 team) and not enough was done to maintain that (as opposed to extending Sewell & Decker, drafting multiple, and replacing Jackson with a 2023 Pro Bowler). There was also a quarterback controversy between Rodney Peete and Erick Kramer.

It's hard to say that the 2024 Lions aren't better, at least on paper, than the 2023 Lions. It would have been hard to argue that the 1992 Lions were better on paper than the 1991 Lions.

It's also a bit semantical, but the fan base has grown in a general sense for the NFL product in the last 33 years, so even if they were roughly equal I would say this season is more anticipated.

23 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It’s not even close.  The 1991 season ended very poorly.  That ass whipping by the Skins was hard to watch.   

46 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Lions Nike Pegasus 41s dropped this morning. They tend to sell out absurdly quickly in any normal person size, so thought I would plug it in case anyone here is interested.

Available at Nike and NFL Shop.

image.thumb.png.c321d4d65deb7e82393dbcefa227e1b5.png

These are freaking awesome and that’s coming from someone that thinks the entire sneaker game is a stupid.