Week One: Los Angeles Rams (0-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-0)

I thought the secondary played pretty good outside of a couple plays most notably the missed tackles on the 1 long completion.

Still though it took 49 passes for them to give up 300 yards. When the other team throws that much you're bound to have some plays where you don't look good or get beat. 

The problem though I thought was that they were playing too soft at times which allowed Staff to get a quick completion. They didn't always go for much but they often kept the Rams "ahead of schedule" in terms of down and distance. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Just now, RandyMarsh said:

I thought the secondary played pretty good outside of a couple plays most notably the missed tackles on the 1 long completion.

Still though it took 49 passes for them to give up 300 yards. When the other team throws that much you're bound to have some plays where you don't look for bad.

The problem though I thought was that they were playing too soft at times which allowed Staff to get a quick completion. They didn't always go for much but they often kept the Rams "ahead of schedule" in terms of down and distance. 

Stafford was getting the ball out in 2 seconds.  Its astonishing how successful he was without an OL. 

9 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Weird what happens when you throw the damn ball. 

Understand something.    Last season they used the run game to set up the pass game.  They aren't going to change that.  Why do you think they have only 4 WR?    All that hard running they did early eventually wore down the Rams and it's why they didn't have to pass it in OT.   Monty is a very hard runner who leaves bruises on defenders.  It showed last night.    They are a Run-First team.    

With Jay-Mo's breakout game yesterday, teams will have to account for him and that means less attention on ASB.   He only had 3 catches yesterday, but this is setting him up for a huge game the next couple of weeks. 

6 hours ago, buddha said:

its better to be detroit today than green bay....or atlanta....or cincinnati.

or carolina but theyre the worst team in the league.  again.

The Commanders are right down there as well. They looked horrible against the Bucs. I doubt they would even be able to hang with Michigan 

This felt a lot like the first game last year against KC.  Definitely less impressive since it was at home and not against the Superbowl champions.  The Chiefs were missing some significant players.  The Lions looked like in both games that they didn't play anybody in preseason.  Even though they didn't look great, they still came out with a W.  BTW I agree with the preseason decision.  Its a long season and less chances for injuries even if it means they come out rusty.  The miss tackles were very frustrating (and felt a little SOL) because since Campbell has been coach, they have really cleaned that up.  Secondary did not look great.  Hoping its a fact that besides a few guys, its a whole new group of guys that need to jell.  Actually the whole defense has a lot of new faces.  I will say that Stafford looked great and played a really great game (minus redzone interception).  Especially with OL issues and Nakua going down.  There is going to be some comments on how Brown and LaPorta didn't get enough looks or balls thrown their way.  I think this was Johnson trying to get Jamo confidence (and Goff confidence in him) and I think he succeeded in that.  A lot to clean up and work on.

13 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

This felt a lot like the first game last year against KC.  Definitely less impressive since it was at home and not against the Superbowl champions.  The Chiefs were missing some significant players.  The Lions looked like in both games that they didn't play anybody in preseason.  Even though they didn't look great, they still came out with a W.  BTW I agree with the preseason decision.  Its a long season and less chances for injuries even if it means they come out rusty.  The miss tackles were very frustrating (and felt a little SOL) because since Campbell has been coach, they have really cleaned that up.  Secondary did not look great.  Hoping its a fact that besides a few guys, its a whole new group of guys that need to jell.  Actually the whole defense has a lot of new faces.  I will say that Stafford looked great and played a really great game (minus redzone interception).  Especially with OL issues and Nakua going down.  There is going to be some comments on how Brown and LaPorta didn't get enough looks or balls thrown their way.  I think this was Johnson trying to get Jamo confidence (and Goff confidence in him) and I think he succeeded in that.  A lot to clean up and work on.

laporta and brown werent open, that's why they didnt get targetted.  and when they threw to brown he either fell down or the ball was picked.

1 hour ago, Gozer said:

Hey TP,

Maybe take next week off.

Sincerely,

Everyone

is this your first game thread?

tp and mcs will be calling for campbell's firing by the second series of game two.  HOW DARE YOU RUN ON SECOND AND EIGHT?????  DAN CAMPBELL DOESNT CARE ABOUT THE FANS FIRE HIM!"

happens every year like clockwork.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2024 at 11:41 PM, holygoat said:

Holy sh*t, I was mostly riffing off of your ridiculous hyperbole -- although I absolutely hated the numbers and the greys for real -- but assuming that the new unis will affect their record is next level. Wow, lmfao!

I didn't HATE the font... I get that they were doing for a unique font that was distinctly Lions... but I also can't say as I love it either. Again I get what they were going for and I think it mostly work with the name, but numbers were "meh" at best.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

i didnt think that was impressive.  a win is a win in the nfl so we'll take it but it wasnt impressive.  they had the same problems as last year: couldnt get to the qb and couldnt cover.

that rams team was not a "playoff team."  they lost both starting tackles, their starting guard, and then their backup tackle.  plus nakua got hurt in the first half.  stafford showed what a great qb he is.  just like when he played for detroit he made chicken salad out of chicken ****...

...and lost.

the offense was out of sync.  goff didnt play particularly well and no one but jamo could get open.  and the rams were playing without their starting corners too.

perhaps they are rusty because they didnt play in the preseason?  hope so.  the rams front isnt that bad, so it was nice to see the lions all over them in the run game even if goff did get some pressure.

the nfl is a week to week league.  they have time to get a third receiver up and running from the practice squad.  that should open things up a bit.

turn the page and beat the bucs.

Dan Campbell says a little of both. 

Rookie DBs made some mistakes, including Rakestraw, who cost the team great field position by knocking a perfect punt into the end zone. Offense was largely out of sync, except Montgomery and Jamo. 

People are underestimating the Rams. Remember this is the franchise where Holmes learned to be a great evaluator of talent. They won a SB, had a terrible season after Stafford got hurt, then gave Detroit a run in the playoffs last year. Yes Aaron Donald retired and they had injuries but are a good team with good players, good coaching, and a great QB. 

20 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Dan Campbell says a little of both. 

Rookie DBs made some mistakes, including Rakestraw, who cost the team great field position by knocking a perfect punt into the end zone. Offense was largely out of sync, except Montgomery and Jamo. 

People are underestimating the Rams. Remember this is the franchise where Holmes learned to be a great evaluator of talent. They won a SB, had a terrible season after Stafford got hurt, then gave Detroit a run in the playoffs last year. Yes Aaron Donald retired and they had injuries but are a good team with good players, good coaching, and a great QB. 

the rams have talent.  if the lions were missing sewell, decker, glasgow, arnold, davis, and st brown, you'd be saying this wasnt the real lions team.  and you'd be right.

but that's what the rams were missing.  look, a win is a win, there will be games the lions are beat up and they lose because of it, but lets not think this was some great victory.  

they got carved up by stafford.  the corners either couldnt play press enough to cover the receivers or they were super scared to get beat deep.  either way, they got carved up like a turkey.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Carved up apparently is 5 yards per attempt with an INT and a couple dropped INTs. 

Yeah - to win a game against a great QB with rookie corners bodes pretty well for the future. Of course they made mistakes, buts it's the NFL; to play well enough to win 1st time out against that competition is actually pretty big.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I forget what game it was, but at the end of a half, they hit St Brown on a deep pass down the sideline and almost broke it. I don't mind going for it. 

Hindsight being 20/20, but a FG to end the half would have saved my heart a lot of stress.

10 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

This is the drive you’re looking for. 

You mean the drive where they hardly threw the ball? Why isn't St. Brown getting the ball? Why are they running on first down all the time! 5 first downs and they ran the ball all 5 times! Horrible play calling.