Week One: Los Angeles Rams (0-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-0)

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

that was weird. Collinsworth obviously forgot the rules. Tirico just ignored it.

I wonder if Tirico felt bad for already having to call Collinsworth out a few minutes earlier for mistaking the Rams kicker with the Lions kicker. Tirico was obviously taking about what the Rams could do if they got the ball back late and Collinsworth was like "Yeah he kicked a 64 yarder in this building". After an awkward pause Tirico had to point out that he was talking about the Rams kicker not the Lions. 

I think the defense played good.  You really can't complain too much when an NFL team only scores 20 points.  The issue I had with the defense is the miss tackles.  This is actually something the Lions have been very good with since Campbell has been coach.  So unless this becomes a season issue, I think their defense will be fine.  They definitely were playing bend but don't break.  They were willing to give the short passes to prevent from the big plays.  As the Rams got to the red zone, the defense tightened up.  From a pure strategy standpoint, you go in happy if you can hold the Rams to 20 points.

36 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I think the defense played good.  You really can't complain too much when an NFL team only scores 20 points.  The issue I had with the defense is the miss tackles.  This is actually something the Lions have been very good with since Campbell has been coach.  So unless this becomes a season issue, I think their defense will be fine.  They definitely were playing bend but don't break.  They were willing to give the short passes to prevent from the big plays.  As the Rams got to the red zone, the defense tightened up.  From a pure strategy standpoint, you go in happy if you can hold the Rams to 20 points.

The Rams had a pretty good game plan, mostly quick passes. Short but counting on yards after catch. It almost beat us with our missed tackles.

I get the feeling Campbell decided to just play to our strength in OT. Just run the ball down their throat. He knows the strength of his team is the OL.

40 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Rams had a pretty good game plan, mostly quick passes. Short but counting on yards after catch. It almost beat us with our missed tackles.

I get the feeling Campbell decided to just play to our strength in OT. Just run the ball down their throat. He knows the strength of his team is the OL.

Campbell said on 97.1 this morning that it wasn’t until Monty’s first run in OT that they decided to see how far that could take us.

26 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Campbell said on 97.1 this morning that it wasn’t until Monty’s first run in OT that they decided to see how far that could take us.

I also think that until they were at the goal line the Rams still didn't really believe the Lions would try to run it the whole way.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wrote at the end of OT that Montgomery was mad they stopped calling his number in the second half. And he deserved to be mad. He ran hard in the first half, including picking up a first down in a short yardage situation where he had been hit behind LOS and turned upside down but just kept churning his legs to get beyond the marker. Only got three carries in the second. It is hard to imagine anyone running more angry than he did in OT. He is a stud. 

• Like 1