Week One: Los Angeles Rams (0-0) @ Detroit Lions (0-0)

16 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

If I know Ben Johnson, he has a few plays for the kid. I hope we get to see him!

It was hard getting to 53, but it will be even harder getting to 48 on game days when everyone is healthy. Good problem to have though.

If I had to guess, DPJ will be activated today, if only because he already knows the playbook and Allen/Patrick haven't had time to learn it as well if someone goes down and we need our WR5 to step up. Then on Sunday, the five not dressing will be Giovanni Manu, Trevor Nowaske, Loren Strickland, Iffy Melifonwu, and one of DJ Reader (if he can't go), Michael Niese, or Sione Vaki. Maybe Khalil Dorsey but if Iffy and Strickland are both out then probably not. Depends on where they prefer the depth though.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It was hard getting to 53, but it will be even harder getting to 48 on game days when everyone is healthy. Good problem to have though.

If I had to guess, DPJ will be activated today, if only because he already knows the playbook and Allen/Patrick haven't had time to learn it as well if someone goes down and we need our WR5 to step up. Then on Sunday, the five not dressing will be Giovanni Manu, Trevor Nowaske, Loren Strickland, Iffy Melifonwu, and one of DJ Reader (if he can't go), Michael Niese, or Sione Vaki. Maybe Khalil Dorsey but if Iffy and Strickland are both out then probably not. Depends on where they prefer the depth though.

Dorsey is a very good special team player.

38 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Are the Rams going to try to hurt Lions players on purpose? A scary thought for the first game of a long season. 

I just meant they only talk about KJ's hit and not the shots to Laporta. I bet Kelly Stafford sets the Rams fan straight.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, holygoat said:

It would be accurate if they included "Super Bowl Win" in the Rams column. 

That would make it inaccurate cause "Super Bowl Win" didn't come with the trade. Also Might as well include "division title, playoff wins and franchise relevancy for first time in 30+ years" in the Lions column then. 

• Like 1

At the end of 2021 Goff was outplaying Stafford despite playing for a terrible Lions team. He won offensive player of the week 2 times in the final 6 weeks and in which he had 3 different games of 110+ QB rating.  Yes it's a assumption but assuming he played at a similar level with a more talented Rams team there's no reason to think he couldn't have taken them through the playoffs that year too. 

It bears repeating that Rams team had one of the easiest playoff slates you can possibly get with a free falling Arizona team who Goff destroyed a month earlier, a Bucs team missing several important players, a relatively average(for an NFC Championship game opponent) SF team missing Trent Williams and a young Bengals team who only 9 games in the regular season.  A Goff led team could've easily won all those games as well. 

So to sum it up yes I'm making some assumptions but I just think it's lazy when people(not saying HolyGoat I'm speaking in general since the media always says this as well) just say "well the trade won the Rams a Super Bowl so it worked out for them" when they very well may have won 1 or more if they stuck with Goff and either used those draft picks on other players in trades or drafted the right players. 

Goff led Rams team made the Super Bowl and was in the playoffs the year prior so they were right there. It would be like us trading Goff and 2 1sts this past offseason for a different QB and we end up winning the Super Bowl this year with said QB. Would we automatically just assume that the only reason we won that Super Bowl was because of that trade? I know I wouldn't. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Goff was a struggling QB under McVay, to the point where he completely lost his HC's trust. Stafford walked in and won a Super Bowl, so yeah, that trade did work out for LA. You can't just brush that aside. Goff walked into a situation where his new HC and GM had confidence in him, and built a team to accentuate his strengths. Bottom line, I don't think Goff would've won a Super Bowl with a McVay-led Rams, but I think he absolutely could in Detroit.

This trade worked out for both teams in a way that will forever be the gold standard example of Trades That Worked Out For Both Teams

8 minutes ago, TP_Fan said:

NFL network replaying rams Lions divisional game.  Those lions jerseys were so freaking sharp.  I don’t get why they felt the need to downgrade and go to a cheap rip off of the Barry years.  It sucks.  

Those old jerseys were an atrocity. The new ones are way sharper, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, holygoat said:

Those old jerseys were an atrocity. The new ones are way sharper, IMO.

The old jerseys are the best they’ve ever had. The blue was perfect offset by a nice gray. 

This is a clear down grade.