8/31/24 6:10 AM Red Sox @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

Nobody actually sits in front of the TV waiting for Tigers Live to start, do they? Because Bally Sports plays what must be literally nine minutes of commercials in the first ten minutes between end of game and beginning of Tigers Live.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Nobody actually sits in front of the TV waiting for Tigers Live to start, do they? Because Bally Sports plays what must be literally nine minutes of commercials in the first ten minutes between end of game and beginning of Tigers Live.

Yeah, the commercials suck. But after a win, I endure them. I love seeing the smiling faces.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought Wilson and Johnson were both going to be good.  I didn't really buy into the Laga hype!  I was lukewarm about the trade.  I liked Wilson and Wockenfuss, but I felt that another top reliever could really help them at that point.  As is often the case with relievers, they caught lightning in a bottle as he never came close repeating his 84 season.

I remember reading that they tried to sign a lefty reliever (Gary Lavelle I believe) after the season and that they were going to trade Hernandez for a starter.  Instead, they traded Johnson for Terrell and kept Hernandez. They should have kept Johnson.       

I wanted them to trade Herndon and put Johnson in left.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s almost the definition of futility. 

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I thought Wilson and Johnson were both going to be good.  I didn't really buy into the Laga hype!  I was lukewarm about the trade.  I liked Wilson and Wockenfuss, but I felt that another top reliever could really help them at that point.  As is often the case with relievers, they caught lightning in a bottle as he never came close repeating his 84 season.

I remember reading that they tried to sign a lefty reliever (Gary Lavelle I believe) after the season and that they were going to trade Hernandez for a starter.  Instead, they traded Johnson for Terrell and kept Hernandez. They should have kept Johnson.       

I haven't heard an explanation to my satisfaction, but I've always assumed there was something below the table that lead to the HoJo trade. Maybe he told Sparky to stuff it one day, maybe he showed up in Sparky's office with a J. 🍄 🤷‍♀️

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I haven't heard an explanation to my satisfaction, but I've always assumed there was something below the table that lead to the HoJo trade. Maybe he told Sparky to stuff it one day, maybe he showed up in Sparky's office with a J. 🍄 🤷‍♀️

My way or the highway. 

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don’t think it’s a secret that Sparky and HoJo didn’t get along.  

15 hours ago, oblong said:

It sounds like they are using an AI version of Ernie’s voice and it’s mispronouncing all the names.  Cheap. 

Yeah, I thought it was awfully tacky.  “Monge” was mispronounced.  Herndon’s number was announced as 34.  There were a few other AI inflections that wouldn’t have matched Harwell.  I understand the intent, but the deployment just failed.

You can tell the mileage is getting to some of the ‘84 crew.  Obviously Lemon’s story was gotten attention.  And Gibson being a current broadcaster keeps his “parky” in current view.  But there were some strolls out to the field that were definitively slow and measured.

I was too young to understand the gradual build and maturation of the 1984 core, at least the core that came up through the minors.  2006 was really out of the blue.  2012-2014 was a lot of money thrown at the team (nothing wrong with that).  I hope this current crew that’s coming up now can yield a significant number of members of the next playoff seasons.  I want to see that window of appreciating talent.

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Loudest home run I ever heard was one hit by JD Martinez. 

Ordonez.  About 20 years of frustration let loose with that one.  I was at a birthday party for a friend’s kid.  There was a TV outside that I was watching I just laughed and laughed and laughed with pure joy.  Although the game was at a tipping point, the series was pretty much assumed over.

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

I usually record and watch on slight delay.  If I’ve gotten through the end of the game, I’ll usually zip through the blah blah blah to get to Hinch’s post game comments.  Listen to his thoughts, and then call it a game.

I suppose I miss out pick the stick results, but I’ll chance the effects of that.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Ordonez.  About 20 years of frustration let loose with that one.  I was at a birthday party for a friend’s kid.  There was a TV outside that I was watching I just laughed and laughed and laughed with pure joy.  Although the game was at a tipping point, the series was pretty much assumed over.

The JD one was the pinch-hit after being on the disabled list - and to make it even sweeter it was off of Chris Sale.   

But when I was at games the ball made a different sound when he hit it.