9/2/24 6:40PM Tigers @ Padres

Tigeraholic1

The game is at 6:40pm which is when the Tigers start their night games this season, but they’re playing in San Diego, so it’s a 3:40pm start time out there, which is a rather strange local time to start a game.

Turns out the Padres have several holiday and getaway games, maybe half a dozen or so, starting at 3:40pm local time. Most of them are against Eastern and Central teams, which made me wonder whether they did this for TV exposure in the opponents’ market for some reason, but they did schedule a 3:40pm against Seattle one game as well. This must be something that makes sense locally, maybe a weather thing or a civic thing.

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The game is at 6:40pm which is when the Tigers start their night games this season, but they’re playing in San Diego, so it’s a 3:40pm start time out there, which is a rather strange local time to start a game.

I figured it was a Labor Day thing?

49 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Turns out the Padres have several holiday and getaway games, maybe half a dozen or so, starting at 3:40pm local time. Most of them are against Eastern and Central teams, which made me wonder whether they did this for TV exposure in the opponents’ market for some reason, but they did schedule a 3:40pm against Seattle one game as well. This must be something that makes sense locally, maybe a weather thing or a civic thing.

I can see the weather angle - the game would be over and you are moving inside for dinner somewhere before the temp starts falling. If it's a weekday it also means you are off the road before the worst of rush hour.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

A 3:40 start would realistically have the game end shortly after 6, giving you a chance to grab a decent dinner at one of the restaurants near the park. Possibly an adult beverage or two and still get home at a decent hour. 

Im not sure how it is now but San Diego was once considered a prime spot for retired navy folks.

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

From what I’ve read Ty Madden is the likely starter today. 

Hoping the Fetter Effect kicks in with Ty.  Would be nice to get contributions from him, too.

The MLB innings and coaching that he and Hurter are getting this season should hopefully expedite their ability to contribute next season.  I’ve been particularly impressed with Hurter—throws strikes and seems to be confident out there.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Tyler Holton listed as starter for tonight. 

I don't like that. Maybe it because Faedo is out? But Holton is our best BP arm. To burn him early in the game could come back and bite us on the backside. But, OTOH, Hinch and Fetter do have our entire staff pitching so very well, so what do I know....😅

I’ve always thought this brown Padres color pallet was about as unattractive as you can get. Yeah, I know it’s a “Padre“ but still blah. Brown conflicts with my season. I don’t know what my season is, but it doesn’t include brown. 

12 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I’ve always thought this brown Padres color pallet was about as unattractive as you can get. Yeah, I know it’s a “Padre“ but still blah. Brown conflicts with my season. I don’t know what my season is, but it doesn’t include brown. 

I don't suppose UPS has ever been a big sponsor?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't suppose UPS has ever been a big sponsor?

I don’t like the sponsor stuff on sleeves. I’m not a diehard traditionalist, but I don’t want their uniforms to end up looking like they’re in the premier league or something.