9/5/24 8:40PM Tigers @ Padres

Tigeraholic1

I feel like this is it.   They don't pull one game out of this series and they're toast.    

Everyone keeps posting that we're playing the A's like those are gimmies.   We can't beat the A's when they suck, and they don't suck anymore.    They have to win this game tonight and then take 2 out of 3 from the A's.   If those two things don't happen it's over.   Even if they do the odds are still not in our favor for a playoff berth.  

Then I have to remind myself. 

This was always supposed to be an evaluation year anyway.  

At least they're keeping it interesting in September for a change. 

#1 priority this offseason is DON'T LET CHRIS FETTER GET AWAY !    Make him the highest-paid pitching coach in history, but pay him.   Teams are going to be calling for his services as a manager, so money will need to be paid to keep him.  He's worth every penny.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

It was supposed to be over when they played Boston

It was supposed to be over when they played New York

It was supposed to be over when they played Seattle

It was supposed to be over when they played Cleveland

I'm not suggesting they are in it, I never thought they were.  Just enjoy it.

I'm suggesting this team is showing us who they have been all season long.  A team that with a few breaks could win 87 games or setbacks could lose 87 games.  The seaon always has peaks and valleys.  That's what .500 teams look like. They don't suck because they have some elements of good pitching to sustain them and get a few guys hot here and there.  But they will lose games like this.

• Like 2

I agree that if they don’t win this game, they’re pretty much done. But at least we got into September before we could say that for sure.

Chris Fetter isn’t going anywhere this winter. I can’t envision any scenario he’s going to build something just a little bit and then bolt, unless we think he’s a total flake, and nothing indicates that’s what’s up. He’s going to stick around until we either get as deep into October as it appears we’re going to with this iteration, or he figures out we’re going nowhere no matter what. In either case, we’re talking at least two more years, and more probably four-plus.

You don't think he'd take a managing job if he got the chance?  I don't know the answer to that but if he's got that ambition...?  I'm sure his contract states he can leave for a 'promotion' if he wanted it.

Seeing how the org has hired front office people the way they have I don't think he'd leave over money. I'm sure he's paid well.  A cheap org doesn't hire a Harris and Greenberg and keep the others like Sartori and Mezin the way this org has.

2012 Tigers were 3 back on September 18 and finished 3 games up. 

We’ve waited this long to have the chance to be upset at September losses. I’m going to let it play out quite a bit further before declaring the season over based on a single game. 

• Like 2

I wonder what Sartori and Menzin’s actual roles are in the organization? I thought maybe they’d be given the gate, but maybe they accepted substantially different roles in the organization from analytics. They are listed as “Vice President, Assistant General Manager” under Baseball Operations Leadership, but nowhere under Baseball Operations as it relates to analytics, performance science, or anything else, but I haven’t seen either of them representing the Tigers in the press or anywhere else. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn they have guaranteed contracts and have been offered title and a reduced role while the contracts are in force. But if I had to place a bet, it would be that neither of them have an active role in analytics anymore.

By the way, on the front office web page, guess whose name is nowhere to be found? Hint:

Special Assistants to the General Manager - Kirk Gibson, Willie Horton, Jim Leyland, Lance Parrish, Mike Russell, Alan Trammell

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I agree that if they don’t win this game, they’re pretty much done. But at least we got into September before we could say that for sure.

Chris Fetter isn’t going anywhere this winter. I can’t envision any scenario he’s going to build something just a little bit and then bolt, unless we think he’s a total flake, and nothing indicates that’s what’s up. He’s going to stick around until we either get as deep into October as it appears we’re going to with this iteration, or he figures out we’re going nowhere no matter what. In either case, we’re talking at least two more years, and more probably four-plus.

There's only 29 managerial jobs in MLB (and the White Sox job too) - so there aren't many opportunities to become a manager.  If offered he might not want to pass it up.  

I have no knowledge one way or the other. but I think I'd be surprised if Chris fetter were offered a big league managing job anytime soon. We know he's a wizard with a pitching staff, but we don't know whether he can handle a whole team. After all, he didn't even do that at Michigan, or anywhere else for that matter. There's a reason no one offered Leo Mazzone a managing job, either.

I can’t honestly get too excited about making it to the playoffs, even though I guess I should. I can’t see this team making enough of an unlikely run for it to matter. It might mean a lot to the players though so for their sake it would be great, but I have a hard time personally investing much emotional energy in this scenario.

I am vastly more invested in the future than in the present. I am not interested in bragging rights or caring about what other fan bases think. I’m an emotional fan and the entertainment value of the team has always been paramount to me, and I have been vastly entertained this season enough to be satisfied with things as they are right now. Anything more than that would be fine.

The Tigers have been my near constant companion to one degree or another for 64 years and however she decides to love me or spurn me my loyalty remains undiminished regardless of the outcome. 

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I feel like this is it.   They don't pull one game out of this series and they're toast.    

Everyone keeps posting that we're playing the A's like those are gimmies.   We can't beat the A's when they suck, and they don't suck anymore.    They have to win this game tonight and then take 2 out of 3 from the A's.   If those two things don't happen it's over.   Even if they do the odds are still not in our favor for a playoff berth.  

I don't agree. We're around 5 games out, there's still time.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

I wonder what Sartori and Menzin’s actual roles are in the organization? I thought maybe they’d be given the gate, but maybe they accepted substantially different roles in the organization from analytics. They are listed as “Vice President, Assistant General Manager” under Baseball Operations Leadership, but nowhere under Baseball Operations as it relates to analytics, performance science, or anything else, but I haven’t seen either of them representing the Tigers in the press or anywhere else. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn they have guaranteed contracts and have been offered title and a reduced role while the contracts are in force. But if I had to place a bet, it would be that neither of them have an active role in analytics anymore.

By the way, on the front office web page, guess whose name is nowhere to be found? Hint:

Special Assistants to the General Manager - Kirk Gibson, Willie Horton, Jim Leyland, Lance Parrish, Mike Russell, Alan Trammell

Miggy.

7 hours ago, Shelton said:

2012 Tigers were 3 back on September 18 and finished 3 games up. 

We’ve waited this long to have the chance to be upset at September losses. I’m going to let it play out quite a bit further before declaring the season over based on a single game. 

yeah, at this point in the season, probability don't mean ****.  Just enjoy.  

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't agree. We're around 5 games out, there's still time.

We're around 5 games out but tangled up with several other teams, which makes it harder.   They're going to have to play about .667 baseball the rest of the way,  so 15-7.   That gives them 85 wins and I don't know that it's enough.    Everyone needs to stop looking past the upcoming A's series.    I am sure they aren't but the Tigers are 8-30 vs. Oakland since 2018.  

• Thanks 1

I think we are going to finish roughly where the consensus opinion was around February 14. It has been a fun season. The frustrating item about this season is the what-ifs that can be played. With just one more reliable bat or just a little more health and the Tigers would be in the playoffs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're around 5 games out but tangled up with several other teams, which makes it harder.   They're going to have to play about .667 baseball the rest of the way,  so 15-7.   That gives them 85 wins and I don't know that it's enough.    Everyone needs to stop looking past the upcoming A's series.    I am sure they aren't but the Tigers are 8-30 vs. Oakland since 2018.  

But there aren't many teams ahead of us. We're tied from being the first team out. I mean, we only need to leapfrog one team, the Twins or Royals. Both of those teams aren't playing very good right now and it's very possible we catch one. But I still say the last wildcard teams shouldn't be a playoff team, it's only for money. Sure, anything can happen, but can it really?