9/5/24 8:40PM Tigers @ Padres

Tigeraholic1

Far be it for me to tell Zack Braff he shouldn't work...but I'm sick of seeing him reference Scrubs in everything he does. Plus he's annoying AF

Mize got hurt...many many times. I hesitate to call anyone who gets hurt that much a bust.  Tork needs to show something soon beacuse we have a number of guys like Carpenter, Jung and Malloy who are defensively challenged in the OF and 3RD...but might be able to be hidden at 1st

8 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Tork has something like 1400 major league at bats. He is what he is. It is time to move on.

Yeah - He keeps teasing - he'll show some flashes, but at some point he's got to become a consistent difference maker and hope is getting harder to sustain.

Still, you know like day follows night he'll have a couple of great years for someone else after they cut him loose.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

For a team with so few RH hitters...it's tough to pretend that 31 HR's didn't happen.  He's not blocking anyone now...and he was 1/1 in the f'd up COVID year.  Like it or not...he's getting a lot of rope

The outlier performance is the second half of 2023. Other than that, he's been a below average hitter and bad defender.

Just now, kdog said:

The outlier performance is the second half of 2023. Other than that, he's been a below average hitter and bad defender.

No argument there...but with no other real options...they're gonna give him every chance.  IS this the last chance or is next year the last chance.  I don't know...but I imagine Harris does

1 minute ago, Shinzaki said:

No argument there...but with no other real options...they're gonna give him every chance.  IS this the last chance or is next year the last chance.  I don't know...but I imagine Harris does

At first base/DH, there are always options who will give you a .750 OPS. If we're talking 3B, SS, and catcher, the options are limited. Tork is replaceable because he is just a hit tool who doesn't hit.

8 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - He keeps teasing - he'll show some flashes, but at some point he's got to become a consistent difference maker and hope is getting harder to sustain.

Still, you know like day follows night he'll have a couple of great years for someone else after they cut him loose.

If I were the GM, I would be looking for a new 1B and cut ties in one fashion or another with Tork. Those -.8 WAR career 1st basemen are generally easy to replace.

Edited by HeyAbbott

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

At first base/DH, there are always options who will give you a .750 OPS. If we're talking 3B, SS, and catcher, the options are limited. Tork is replaceable because he is just a hit tool who doesn't hit.

There's 11 of those guys this year..

https://www.statmuse.com/mlb/ask/first-baseman-highest-ops

Look..I understand people don't like Tork and want him gone.  Get used to seeing him because I don't see this front office just cutting him loose this year.  It doesn't seem to be in their DNA