9/5/24 8:40PM Tigers @ Padres

Tigeraholic1

3 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I wanted them to take Madrigal over Mize...but that wouldn't have been any better

I wanted Alec Bohm just because I always want position players.  I don't really think most fans know enough about college and high school players to legitimately criicize the picks though.  I admit I don't.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Mize was the consensus 1/1 on all fronts, so ruing that we could or should have picked anyone else is basically being Captain Hindsight.

And looking back at the Torkelson draft, there isn't really a lot there to get excited about.  At least not yet.  Not every draft has a huge impact player.  

4 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

I wanted them to take Madrigal over Mize...but that wouldn't have been any better

Has Madrigal ever played as well as he looked like he would be since his injury? Of course you can say Mize's value has been driven down by injuries too, but Madrigal may have been more promising before his than Mize ever was in the majors.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

And looking back at the Torkelson draft, there isn't really a lot there to get excited about.  At least not yet.  Not every draft has a huge impact player.  

IIRC Tork'ss final year in college they didn't pitch to him much - he ended up taking a ton of walks. That certainly didn't help anyone see any weaknesses in his bat.

Edited by gehringer_2

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If teams didn't  pick against consensus pretty regularly Langford would be a Tiger.

I’m sorry, I don’t see the relevance as it relates to the Mize pick.

Tork was a consensus 1/1 as well.

Edited by chasfh

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m sorry, I don’t see the relevance as it relates to the Mize pick.

Tork was a consensus 1/1 as well.

I think if you have a FO that believes in what it's doing, the implication that because there is a consensus a team "has to" do something just isn't that determinative. The Tigers have made two recent picks that went strongly against conventional wisdom of what they 'should have' done, both in taking Jobe and Clark. Plus there have always been enough 1/1 busts  - not even counting Mize or Tork - that a team shouldn't feel too bound by what conventional wisdom is.

34 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think if you have a FO that believes in what it's doing, the implication that because there is a consensus a team "has to" do something just isn't that determinative.

We’re talking 1/1s, not down the draft picks.

Nobody else would have passed on Casey Mize, and nobody else would have passed on Spencer Torkelson, and it doesn’t make the Tigers dullards or luddites because they didn’t go against that universal grain, regardless of how Brady Singer does after the fact.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Nobody else would have passed on Casey Mize, and nobody else would have passed on Spencer Torkelson, and it doesn’t make the Tigers dullards or luddites because they didn’t go against that universal grain, regardless of how Brady Singer does after the fact.

I think it contradicts the premise that one or any org can be doing a better job at talent eval than others to assume that it's never going to come to a difference conclusion about who the best player in a draft is. It's not there are that many opinions that matter in terms of 'consensus'. There are only 30 opinions that matter, the rest are just media sheeple echoing each other.

Edited by gehringer_2

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I always say having the 1-1 pick comes down a lot to just luck. What players are eligible to be considered that high? That's who you pick from and if the best one is just average, or below, it's bad luck. Especially durimg that stupid Covid era.

Super weird play. Meadows might have been able to get that, although that probably was a 5-star play. And then the monumental ****up by the A’s to actually make an out and score none instead of scoring two. Wow. Baseball, man.

17 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

... his fastball command was much much superior than he has ever shown as a pro. The couple times I watched him in college and some of the reports I read led me to believe that it was 70+ or about as good as you will ever see ...

This was what I remember most about him... A splitter yes and a 98 mph FB yes but the constant drumbeat was about his insane command.

84 = SUCKER!!! (Or sucked in?)

But I'm with papa...

I'm still hoping there's a mid-rotation guy in there somewhere.

I think 2025 will be the final judgement year on what exactly we got with him...

I would think replacing Tork would be easy enough.  This team at this stage can’t wait any longer and honestly even in a best case scenario how good would he be?  Pride can’t factor into the decision and it won’t. It’s a one day story.   Anybody picking 1:1 that year would have “blown it” to the talk radio crowd. 

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

I would think replacing Tork would be easy enough.  This team at this stage can’t wait any longer and honestly even in a best case scenario how good would he be?  Pride can’t factor into the decision and it won’t. It’s a one day story.   Anybody picking 1:1 that year would have “blown it” to the talk radio crowd. 

except they have to do more than replace him, they need one or two effective RH power bats. Depending on what you think of Torkeson that's probably a higher bar than just replacing him.

A lot of overreactions to Mize and Tork.  Mize can be an important contributor to our rotation for years.  Probably not an ace, but after TJ and back surgeries, I’ll be happy with a #3/4 guy if that’s what he settles into.

There is no reason to cut bait with Tork.  He’s controllable for many seasons.  I’d probably source a contingency option this offseason, but I definitely wouldn’t cut him or sell low.

I do think we need to get a major league bat to provide some protection for Tork, Greene, etc. And not a Canha-type.

• Like 1

There is no risk to keeping him as you can stash him in Toledo but I wouldn’t let his presence get in the way of any plans. Approach the off season as if you need a 1B and more RH bats and see what happens 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

There is no reason to cut bait with Tork

he is still at 800  OPS since his return but has had a bad week, going 1 for SanDiego and 0/5 last night. If he finishes the season still at 800 from Aug forward, that's one thing. But if he ends up back at a 650 OPS you really can't afford to have a  RH bat that weak in at 1B with a LH heavy lineup. It's just terrible roster construction. He has to start performing consistently.

Edited by gehringer_2