9/5/24 8:40PM Tigers @ Padres

Tigeraholic1

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

A lot of overreactions to Mize and Tork.  Mize can be an important contributor to our rotation for years.  Probably not an ace, but after TJ and back surgeries, I’ll be happy with a #3/4 guy if that’s what he settles into.

There is no reason to cut bait with Tork.  He’s controllable for many seasons.  I’d probably source a contingency option this offseason, but I definitely wouldn’t cut him or sell low.

I do think we need to get a major league bat to provide some protection for Tork, Greene, etc. And not a Canha-type.

I agree on Mize.  In fact, I expect him to be one of their top five starters next year.  I wouldn't necessarily drop Torkelson either, but I am expecting less from him.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I agree on Mize.  In fact, I expect him to be one of their top five starters next year.  I wouldn't necessarily drop Torkelson either, but I am expecting less from him.  

If he can stay healthy and get consistent starts maybe his command will finally get good. He'll get to maybe 115 IP (including Toledo). i wonder if that will be considered enough that he won't be under any innings limitation next season.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

A lot of overreactions to Mize and Tork.  Mize can be an important contributor to our rotation for years.  Probably not an ace, but after TJ and back surgeries, I’ll be happy with a #3/4 guy if that’s what he settles into.

There is no reason to cut bait with Tork.  He’s controllable for many seasons.  I’d probably source a contingency option this offseason, but I definitely wouldn’t cut him or sell low.

I do think we need to get a major league bat to provide some protection for Tork, Greene, etc. And not a Canha-type.

At a certain point, though, Harris is going to have to decide whether keep Tork because Harris thinks he can be at least an All-Star-adjacent contributor, or Harris going to have to fluff Tork up as much as possible to sell him for as high as he can get, and then make that deal, whether it's this winter, next spring, next season, or next winter. I think I'd be surprised to learn that the former is the case.

I have been coming around to the idea that what we're seeing here is simply a mismatch between system and talent, and I'm becoming increasingly skeptical that Tork can ever be converted, because I'm almost certain he's a guy who just wants to stay raw and let it rip, not go to school working on the same things over and over again every god damn day like it's Groundhog Day or something.

The one thing I think we would hate to see happen is to have Tork stuck in replacement-level purgatory for the rest of his tenure here, we simply end up DFAing him sometime during the 2026 season, he latches on with someone else, and he finally gets the career we dreamed for him in a system that works for him, probably an analytics-agnostic system like the Angels or Rockies or Nationals.

56 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't so much expect him to be a top five as much as hope as he can be a top five, because for all the flashes skill he has shown during those times he has stayed healthy, staying healthy is itself a skill he hasn't proven to have just yet.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't so much expect him to be a top five as much as hope as he can be a top five, because for all the flashes skill he has shown during those times he has stayed healthy, staying healthy is itself a skill he hasn't proven to have just yet.

I should have said I expect him to start out as top 5 and hope that he is top 5 for a full season.  

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

At a certain point, though, Harris is going to have to decide whether keep Tork because Harris thinks he can be at least an All-Star-adjacent contributor, or Harris going to have to fluff Tork up as much as possible to sell him for as high as he can get, and then make that deal, whether it's this winter, next spring, next season, or next winter. I think I'd be surprised to learn that the former is the case.

I really don't think he has a lot of value now.  While Harris may have an eye for talent, he doesn't strike me as a great salesman who is going to be able to talk up a player like Torkelson enough to get teams to want to give up much for him. He may be able to trade him for another failing young player who needs a change of scenery.  

13 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Tork isn't even arbitration eligible until 2026. They can just leave him as depth in Toledo if they find someone better.

Yeah - when I say you can't have him in the lineup in Det if he doesn't produce that doesn't mean they necessarily have to move him, but the comments above about his low trade value are spot on. Still, if he gets sent to AAA again his chances of a career in Det are probably over because they will have filled his spot with someone else.

Looking around the league at potential Tork replacements and I zeroed in on Jake Burger of the Marlins. Of course doesn't offer much average wise but hit 34 bombs last year, 25 thus far this year and has a career 113 OPS+. He's RH which we need and I think he has a couple years of control left. Considering where the Marlins are at they likely would be open to trading him for prospects. 

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Looking around the league at potential Tork replacements and I zeroed in on Jake Burger of the Marlins. Of course doesn't offer much average wise but hit 34 bombs last year, 25 thus far this year and has a career 113 OPS+. He's RH which we need and I think he has a couple years of control left. Considering where the Marlins are at they likely would be open to trading him for prospects. 

They also have a reliever who misses bats nicely in Andrew Nardi so I would chase those two guys together from the Marlins.