9/5/24 8:40PM Tigers @ Padres

Tigeraholic1

Big Papi (and Bird steals the ball) are my lowest points as a Detroit fan of 50+ years. Feels good to be on the right side tonight.

Something definitely feels different about the Tigers the past month or two. That "core" Harris talks about seems to finally be in place, although most were actually drafted by Avila.

Great win!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, AZTigersfan said:

This is true but who would you rather we had drafted?

In 2018, if they were set on taking a pitcher, the other highly touted player was Brady Singer. He didn't have a good final college season and fell to the Royals at 18th, but he has 8.5 more WAR than Casey and has given the Royals 400 more IP than we've gotten from Mize.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET198806210.shtml

3 walks in the bottom of the 9th, two were with the bases loaded to make it 6-3.

All 3 games that weekend were walk off wins.  The night before Brookens hit a walk off.  I remember that one more than the Trammell one for some reason.  I was out with a friend and his dad picked us up, we asked about the game and he just said "Tommy Brookens!"  That stuck with me.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Detroit radio was too far away in Idaho back in 1988. In Indiana in the 1960s though I could pick up Boston radio pretty clearly and I remember listening to some guy who I think his name was Jerry Williams. 

Wow, I hadn't heard about Jerry Williams in a long time.  That was back when Talk Radio was fun and I used to listen to it a lot.  His voice was annoying and he always sounded pissed off (which I now understand was the point of the show) but he did some good interviews.  

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

In 2018, if they were set on taking a pitcher, the other highly touted player was Brady Singer. He didn't have a good final college season and fell to the Royals at 18th, but he has 8.5 more WAR than Casey and has given the Royals 400 more IP than we've gotten from Mize.

But looking back at draft picks and seeing who you would have drafted is cheating. People need to make their picks before a draft to have any credibility.

I remember the talk of Mize over Singer. Every draft "expert" around had Mize over him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

The first thing to come to mind when I saw this photo was the time on the old forum when one of the goofball members asked if we liked his new hat. His username is right on the tip of my brain, as are the rest of the details...

Was it Titus Tiger?

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Wow, I hadn't heard about Jerry Williams in a long time.  That was back when Talk Radio was fun and I used to listen to it a lot.  His voice was annoying and he always sounded pissed off (which I now understand was the point of the show) but he did some good interviews.  

WBZ...Jerry Williams followed by Larry Glick. Didn't Johnny Most (or something like that) do the Bruins play by play

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

But looking back at draft picks and seeing who you would have drafted is cheating. People need to make their picks before a draft to have any credibility.

I remember the talk of Mize over Singer. Every draft "expert" around had Mize over him.

And I really didn't mean <you>. I meant anybody saying we shouldn't have picked Mize.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm not lying when I say I wasn't wild about Mize. IIRC, Brady lost some top end going into his last college year, so to still like him you had to assume he'd figure it out and get it back the stuff that made him the consensus preseason #1. Turns out he never has - he's just a low 90's guy, but he's still learned to pitch with that and give him team some innings - so he's still produced a lot more than Mize. OTOH, I've always thought you have to take it with a bigger grain of salt that most did when a breaking ball, and esp split finger pitcher, has big college success because a lot of it comes out of the zone, and MLB hitters aren't going to go out of the zone nearly as much, so I was at least a little skeptical of Mize. Sure enough once Casey started to get some innings in the MLB in '21 he had so little success with the split against MLB hitters that he cut it's use rate from 18% to 13% and threw sliders. This year he's trying to throw the split more again - probably getting some pointers from Kenta.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm not lying when I say I wasn't wild about Mize. IIRC, Brady lost some top end going into his last college year, so to still like him you had to assume he'd figure it out and get it back the stuff that made him the consensus preseason #1. Turns out he never has - he's just a low 90's guy, but he's still learned to pitch with that and give him team some innings - so he's still produced a lot more than Mize. OTOH, I've always thought you have to take it with a bigger grain of salt that most did when a breaking ball, and esp split finger pitcher, has big college success because a lot of it comes out of the zone, and MLB hitters aren't going to go out of the zone nearly as much, so I was at least a little skeptical of Mize. Sure enough once Casey started to get some innings in the MLB in '21 he had so little success with the split against MLB hitters that he cut it's use rate from 18% to 13% and threw sliders. This year he's trying to throw the split more again - probably getting some pointers from Kenta.

I was wild over Mize just cause I had the belief that his fastball command was much much superior than he has ever shown as a pro. The couple times I watched him in college and some of the reports I read led me to believe that it was 70+ or about as good as you will ever see from a player his age. I figured that with that type of command and having 98 in his back pocket along with a complete wipe out secondary pitch that he would be at a minimum plus starter with a Cy Young ceiling.

Unfortunately the command wasn't anywhere close to what I and many people thought and the fabled splitter of his either became a non factor due to that or like the FB command was nowhere near as good as people thought or just flat out got worse with age. 

Edited by RandyMarsh