9/6/24 9:40PM Tigers @ A's

Tigeraholic1
Message added by holygoat,

This is the 9/6/24 9:40PM Tigers @ A's thread. I merged in the wrong direction, and no longer have the ability to change the thread title. Sorry.

23 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Don’t look now, but “McStinky” is now a 1.2 WAR player for the year, which is his best season. He has been impossibly hot lately: .373/.431/.525 in the last 30 days, .462/.500/.654 in the last two weeks. 

It’s because he likes his nickname. Just Imagine how good he could be if he put it on his jersey!!!

Just now, IdahoBert said:

I don’t exactly get that “oh boy something can happen” feeling even though it on occasion does happen. 

to me it seems when he scuffles, which seems to be most of the time, he doesn't trust his own power and he's trying to crush everything, with the result that he can't stay on the ball at all. It amazes me that so many ballplayers never seem to learn that squaring the ball up is a lot more important than swinging the bat harder.

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

to me it seems when he scuffles, which seems to be most of the time, he doesn't trust his own power and he's trying to crush everything, with the result that he can't stay on the ball at all. It amazes me that so many ballplayers never seem to learn that squaring the ball up is a lot more important than swinging the bat harder.

Hopefully, it's a reverse jinx and he hits a home run tonight and 3 or 4 more over the rest of the weekend.

One thing Dombrowski believed in was that guys had to be able to hit the fastball, which is why those teams were so good against bullpens. TBF, the change in pitching in the last 10 yrs maybe makes that approach less valid than it was was then, but the Tigers could use some guys that could hit velo right about now.