9/8/24 4:07 PM Tigers @ A's

Tigeraholic1

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Tigers could be 1-1/2 out right now because they could have taken 5 of 6. They had a five-run lead they blew to the Padres, and they had multiple opportunities to close it out on Friday.

But that’s the way it goes for an 84-win team. Win a great game, then lose in horrifying fashion.

i love it. 

They could be much better than that if they won a few more games in April, May and June. That's a fun game to play. Wait'll next year, we'll get 'em. 😅

38 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Can't watch the Bally's App on my TV anymore. 

Just get caught in this merry go round of  ENTER TV PROVIDER

I use a Fire Stick.      Fire Stick is not an option.   

So I can only watch on a computer

**** this piece of **** company.   They're awful 

I had it on my phone with football on my TV. It worked...OK...but yeah, it really sucks.

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

IMG_6720.jpeg.a5257e0bdd9697d4d8a531c800f217e0.jpegAnd there’s no chance the Tigers are leaving Detroit. Heads would roll. It would be like the French Revolution and the perpetrators would end up on the guillotine.  

Detroit has the fan base for all of our teams. Even close to 60 years of the Lions struggling.

2 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

It could happen someday as the Tiger's attendence is no where near average for MLB.

I didn't know that either but looking it up, the Tigers are pretty close to the bottom in the AL. But this is after several years of horrible teams. I bet we'll be closer to the top in the AL next season. Heck, these upcoming series against Colorado and Baltimore will probable average 30k to 35k.

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Team has played well enough over the last couple of months that 11 of the remaining 18 would be my baseline expectation. If they can steal an extra 2 or 3 more than that, it should get very interesting.

Win ALL the Games !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I didn't know that either but looking it up, the Tigers are pretty close to the bottom in the AL. But this is after several years of horrible teams. I bet we'll be closer to the top in the AL next season. Heck, these upcoming series against Colorado and Baltimore will probable average 30k to 35k.

It's 95% because they are bad, but this is also probably a disadvantage of the cobbled together pitching staff with only one established starter. Game day sales are going to be better if you have listed a good starter that people are familiar with going as compared to a bullpen day or Kenta Maeda.

Copa is also a pretty terrible place on a hot sunny day and we have had a lot of those this summer. Lack of shade over the stands was the bad design choice that's going to just keep on giving.

Edited by gehringer_2

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's 95% because they are bad, but this is also probably a disadvantage of the cobbled together pitching staff with only one established starter. Game day sales are going to be better if you have listed a good starter that people are familiar with going as compared to a bullpen day or Kenta Maeda.

Copa is also a pretty terrible place on a hot sunny day and we have had a lot of those this summer. Lack of shade over the stands was the bad design choice that's going to just keep on giving.

I doubt we’ll see big turnouts.  Kids are back in school, Bally is back on Xfinity.  I can see the remaining Skubal home starts getting a bump.  If we make a dent in the standings next week, interest should pick up some.

And I’ll add the earlier start times combined with the pitch clock… that means even if you decide to go the game could be over by 8:30. For some people that’s an hour and a half if they can’t get there until close to 7.  At that point why bother.  

58 minutes ago, oblong said:

And I’ll add the earlier start times combined with the pitch clock… that means even if you decide to go the game could be over by 8:30. For some people that’s an hour and a half if they can’t get there until close to 7.  At that point why bother.  

That would likely be more than offset by more people going to the game because they can be back home a lot earlier on a school night.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Agree. Certainly from A^2 if you work until 5 the difference between 6:40 and 7:10 is all the difference in the world in terms of getting there being so much stress you don't enjoy it. Just don't see what the point of the earlier start time is with 40+ minutes shaved off what a typical game used to be when they were starting at 7:10. True A^2 may be near the limit of the in person market, but the Tigers have to know well enough that most of their attendees are coming from somewhere outside the city limits.

Edited by gehringer_2

18 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

19 remaining games. A 9-10 finish and they would finish .500. Baby steps.

At this point, a .500 finish would be unsatisfactory.  8-10 (now after yesterday's victory) with only 6 games on the road and 6 games at home vs the Rockies and White Sox.

8 hours ago, TigerNation said:

That would likely be more than offset by more people going to the game because they can be back home a lot earlier on a school night.

I don't think so.  Red Wing games get out around 9:20.  I agree that games going past 9:30 is an issue with kids in school but I also think at that point in the year those with kids in school that are concerned about being out late already don't go. Kids involved in activities already are lost since they have those things to attend to.

The only time I think the 6:40 start times make sense are the games in the beginning of the year when cool weather is an issue.  You are already fighting it so give yourself some options.  It can get pretty cold in April by 8:30 pm so yeah, get in and get out.  But in September when it can still be only light jacket weather at night it's not a problem.  It's not until October and the playoffs when you find yourself in hat/gloves season.  During the playoff runs I've worn shorts and T shirts to playoff games and dressed like it's the arctic.  That's life in the midwest this time of year.  

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Team has played well enough over the last couple of months that 11 of the remaining 18 would be my baseline expectation. If they can steal an extra 2 or 3 more than that, it should get very interesting.

That would get me my 84 wins!

12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

There is no doubt that once we show and prove with the kids, the rafters will be ringing.

46 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That would get me my 84 wins!

84 would put them half way to winning 90 next season. Would we expect at least as much improvement '24 to '25 as we got from '23 to '24?

The RH hitters needed are not in the system, going to have to sign one - or two or make a trade. And they need Flaherty V2.0 - with a multiyear contract this time. A another LH bullpen arm. That not an unreasonable lift for an off-season.

14 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

For an MLB franchise to be firmly entrenched in a city these days, it needs to draw 2 million fans year after year. I think, starting in 2025, that will not be a problem.

season tickets are a big part of a base in attendence and I know there was a big drop over the last few years.  That kind of thing lags with team performance and I'd also throw in the Lions success could have made some people make a choice, especially people with both as the LIons raised their prices this year.  I could easily see people saying "Well I'll forgo my $2000 investment on the Tigers, go when I want to, and save that money for a couple of Lions games on the secondary market or a playoff game.

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

For an MLB franchise to be firmly entrenched in a city these days, it needs to draw 2 million fans year after year. I think, starting in 2025, that will not be a problem.

I don't know what ratings are doing compared to previous years, but improving the quality of the TV broadcast is also important and they just are not there yet. Benetti is big step up from Shepherd but the quality is still very uneven. He needs to settle it down a few notches. Audio production has been bad, the revolving door in the 2nd seat is still bad. Petry is improving as he works more - he is their most insightful guy - his delivery is improving but could still improve a lot more. His talent for pronouncing "Change-up" as a three syllable word is also unique. But the rest of the bally work is atrocious - Kane, Thompson, Kerwin are all cringe worthy.

And there is rot at the heart of the whole Bally "make it more interesting with outside stuff" approach, which is that by constantly ignoring the game action, they are sending the fans a signal loud and clear that the game is not actually worth watching. You don't persuade people the game is worth their time with that approach. You will never see an NFL broadcast where they deliberately cut away during a play. If the broadcasters don't validate the importance of the game by paying full attention to it, you are telling the fans not to either. The have the technology to do split screen and they won't even do that.

Benetti actually blew off criticism for cutting away during play in a recent broadcast. I hope that is because he has to be a team player and not because he believes it.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

And there is rot at the heart of the whole Bally "make it more interesting with outside stuff" approach, which is that by constantly ignoring the game action, they are sending the fans a signal loud and clear that the game is not actually worth watching.

This is the key to the whole Bally problem. When Benetti is doing a national or regional broadcast, he is serious and focused. Far too frequently, the Tiger broadcast with Benettii revolves into yuk-yuk Beavis and Butthead like moments far,far too often. I cannot tolerate the endless human interest angles. I want to watch the game and I get very angry when even the most basic things like runs being scored and now being missed by the Bally buffoons.

Edited by HeyAbbott