Watching the debate? Why?

smr-nj

I’m not going to watch, for a few reasons.

Is it a debate, when questions will be posed of one participant, who will respond for (I think) 5 minutes, while other participant’s mic is muted. Then, the other participant will get (I think) 2 minutes to rebut.

No audience, hence, no reactions.

Is this actually a debate, or is it a dueling press conference?  

One participant has already told you none of this is fair.  And will complain before, during, and after.

One participant, even if providing cogent and verifiable content, will be immediately called a liar.  And there will not be immediate fact checking.

Afterwards, the pundits on either side will do what you know they’ve already got planned.

Does anyone really believe that there are true “undecideds” out there that need this “debate” to give them info?  Come on. 

So, my decision is to not watch, and perhaps the next day find recaps from sources as close to the middle of the road that I can find.

Regardless, I already know who I am voting for, so this viewing seems totally irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

I will be at the Tiger game but thanks to 6:40 start times and the pitch clock I will probably be home in time.  I’m sure I will but Sue is right. One candidate will give coherent answers that address the question. The other will just go off on a tangent and ignore and the moderator and press will pretend nothing happened and it’s all normal.  

• Like 1

I wont watch it live.  I will probably watch some of it later just so I can disprove the lies that MAGAs told about it.  Like Oblong said, Harris will answer questions clearly and logically and Trump will ramble on with his usual incoherent bull**** and the media will act like it's perfectly normal.   MAGAs will claim that Harris is a stupid bitch and that Trump owned her.  Like others have said, I can't stand the sound of Trump's voice and I am so irritated that America has normalized him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So the most recent cable/stream corporate snit is between Disney and DirectTV, so for the time being I have no ABC/ESPN/Disney.  Heaven forbid, may have to record it from Fox! 😱

NBC will show it. 

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

So the most recent cable/stream corporate snit is between Disney and DirectTV, so for the time being I have no ABC/ESPN/Disney.  Heaven forbid, may have to record it from Fox! 😱

If you really want to be entertained in the same way you are on the Orlando FreeFall ride, watch the debate on Newsmax.

As it turns out, my Wednesday softball team disintegrated, so instead of going to the White Sox game tonight, I’m going tomorrow afternoon instead, so I will be available to watch the debate after all.

I ain’t gonna lie. I’m a little nervous.

I don’t understand the people that aren’t going to watch because they hate Trump.    This is the exact reason that you should watch!   

It’s possible this debate could be the end for him.    A bad debate made Biden look old and unfit and it’s possible the same happens to old, old Donnie.  Kamala is going to run circles around him and make it him look foolish.  I wouldn’t put it past him to get so unhinged tonight that he puts the nail in his own coffin.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t understand the people that aren’t going to watch because they hate Trump.    This is the exact reason that you should watch!   

It’s possible this debate could be the end for him.    A bad debate made Biden look old and unfit and it’s possible the same happens to old, old Donnie.  Kamala is going to run circles around him and make it him look foolish.  I wouldn’t put it past him to get so unhinged tonight that he puts the nail in his own coffin.   

I’m mostly with you, but I don’t believe it’s quite a 100% certainty that Kamala buries Trump in this debate. If I had to put some numbers on it, I’d say it’s something like 60% she smokes him off the stage; 5% he smokes her off the stage; 20% it’s considered a statistical tie; 15% she does something inadvertent that cripples her campaign; and 0% he does something that cripples his campaign. That final one seems impossible at first blush, but as I said, i believe Trump’s cake is fully baked. I think he is so bulletproof to the red hats that he could lay some cable live on stage tonight, or scream “**** Jesus Christ!” at the top of his voice, and it wouldn’t lose him a single voter.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I hope but I believe the media and most pundits have different rules.  Whatever Trump does will be likely disregarded. 

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

I hope but I believe the media and most pundits have different rules.  Whatever Trump does will be likely disregarded. 

I don't know if I believe it but some polling I saw recently identified about 10% of Trump's support as "grudging" supporters. These are folks that don't like Trump but say he is their default choice because they don't know anything about Harris. So if they exist, those would be the people at play. 

Edited by gehringer_2

48 minutes ago, oblong said:

Yep.

Trump could call Harris the N-word and the headlines will read:

"Harris unable to clarify her ethnicity."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Her campaign has, to date, done a really good job of brushing off his trash talk and not taking the bait... (Her responses to his comments about her ethnicity is Exhibit A).

Tonight will be a test to execute it with him a few feet away... Voters want to learn more about her, they don't want to see her responding to him. It may be inevitable at certain junctures, but she has to play her game, not get sucked into his

If she does that, she stands a good chance of a clear win... but easier said than done