Week Two: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0) @ Detroit Lions (1-0)

Super Bowl Champs of the past

2023 Kansas City Chiefs.   Started 1-1

2022 KC Chiefs  Started 2-1

2021  LA Rams 3-1

2020 Tampa Bay  1-1

2019 Chiefs  6-4

2018 New England  1-2

2017  Philadelphia  1-1

2016  New England 3-1

Last team to win a Super Bowl to start 4-0  were the 2015 Denver Broncos

I have complete trust in this Head Coach to get it right and more than trust in the GM to find that big-bodied WR somewhere that yes, they are missing.............

But honestly - if Goff is on his game today, they win.  

Maybe........just maybe..........this team has been snacking a bit too much on it's own hype.   It does happen from time to time. 

Cowboys lost at home 44-19.   That already makes me feel better

Oh, and another thing.  I thought this year we might take a slight step backwards.   Couple of reasons,  they avoided devastating injuries for long stretches last year and they are now the hunted.  Teams get up to play the Lions now and that makes it harder to surprise anyone.   

To quote Rocky Balboa, it's not how hard you hit its how hard you can get hit and keep going.    If this team is like I think they are,  this might be exactly the thing they need. 

Defense held opponents to 20 points two straight weeks.   When (not if) the offense starts clicking - that should be enough - at least most weeks.  

I don't know.  All I know is my life is not really changing one way or another.  

But the cowboys lose.  TEEE HEEE  and lost bad.  

All game long, I was screaming to give the ball to Montgomery. After last week, I knew he could take us on his shoulders, control the clock and eventually score. But the Lions game plan was to go after the Bucs injured secondary. And they wouldn't deviate from that idea, even when it was obvious Goff wasn't on top of his game. This game was lost by our impatient coaches, constantly going for the big play that wasn't there. Bummer...

Edit; at least we have the Tigers. Lmao

Edited by Sports_Freak
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Super Bowl Champs of the past

2023 Kansas City Chiefs.   Started 1-1

2022 KC Chiefs  Started 2-1

2021  LA Rams 3-1

2020 Tampa Bay  1-1

2019 Chiefs  6-4

2018 New England  1-2

2017  Philadelphia  1-1

2016  New England 3-1

Two of those teams didn't have the best two QBs to ever play the game leading their team. Brady and Mahomes skew those stats.

8 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

All game long, I was screaming to give the ball to Montgomery. After last week, I knew he could take us on his shoulders, control the clock and eventually score. But the Lions game plan was to go after the Bucs injured secondary. And they wouldn't deviate from that idea, even when it was obvious Goff wasn't on top of his game. This game was lost by our impatient coaches, constantly going for the big play that wasn't there. Bummer...

Agreed. Would like to have seen them play bully ball especially after Vea went out. 

You can't have 463 total yards on offense and only get one TD out of that. This redzone offense hasn't looked good through two games. This is where LaPorta, St.Brown, and Montgomery should be maximized and they are being wasted or not utilized instead.

I don't know why Ben Johnson had a fetish today for having Goff both throw over the middle and repeatedly throw well short of the down marker. There were two plays, at the end of the game, where Goff had plays designed to and did throw over the middle. Had the WRs caught those two passes they would have Crowelled themselves by staying in bounds and letting the clock run out. I felt the constant throwing short over the middle seemed particularly excessive today, especially late in the game when it was critical they pick up firsts and/or stop the clock. Maybe I'm over exaggerating this pronlem though due to them losing it whatever.

image.thumb.png.bf72b39707ca983d9e94b8e0a1539ba6.png

22 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You can't have 463 total yards on offense and only get one TD out of that. This redzone offense hasn't looked good through two games. This is where LaPorta, St.Brown, and Montgomery should be maximized and they are being wasted or not utilized instead.

I don't know why Ben Johnson had a fetish today for having Goff both throw over the middle and repeatedly throw well short of the down marker. There were two plays, at the end of the game, where Goff had plays designed to and did throw over the middle. Had the WRs caught those two passes they would have Crowelled themselves by staying in bounds and letting the clock run out. I felt the constant throwing short over the middle seemed particularly excessive today, especially late in the game when it was critical they pick up firsts and/or stop the clock. Maybe I'm over exaggerating this pronlem though due to them losing it whatever.

image.thumb.png.bf72b39707ca983d9e94b8e0a1539ba6.png

It seemed like there were a lot of passes short of the sticks. Some tackled short and some incomplete. 

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It seemed like there were a lot of passes short of the sticks. Some tackled short and some incomplete. 

They did it twice at the end of the game which was especially egregious because had they been tackled short the game would be over. He need to work LaPorta in to getting open deeper down field and in the redzone and that just didn't happen. Maybe that was on LaPorta, maybe Tampa just had tight coverage, maybe it was on Johnson's play designs. Last week it was St. Brown and LaPorta who were ghosts and not targeted nearly enough. This week St. Brown has a better game but LaPorta is still a nonexistent part of this offense.       

45 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

There were a lot of passes short of the receivers, too. 

Goff is not in sync yet. Maybe next week Ben can get back to the run game and setting up play action off of it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jason_R said:

There were a lot of passes short of the receivers, too. 

Goff is not in sync yet. Maybe next week Ben can get back to the run game and setting up play action off of it. 

Agree.

Not a great day for Goff.  Out of sync is exactly right. He was uncomfortable and a step late all day.  Very unusual.  If he takes a sack in the 4th, instead of trying an out of character Superman throw, we kick a FG instead of a pick and  probably win.  

Not a great day for Ben or Dan.  Ben is struggling with the versatility and the many weapons on this offense.   He didn’t adjust to TB and what they were doing.  I was impressed with TB defense.  Reminded me a lot of the Lions last year doing it with young guys that aren’t household names yet.   Todd Bowles is underrated as a defensive guru.  

Not a great day for the OL.  Too much pressure on Goff and didn’t keep a good pocket very often.  They were the least to blame of the problem groups but they still need to be better.

Not a great day for the refs.  They missed a bunch of calls especially in the first half.  It’s part of the game and not why they lost but they missed multiple PI calls and yet called a really soft on on Arnold on the first drive.

It was a good day for the defense.  They played very well against a really good offense with weapons.  Keeping the total yardage to 216 with 2 picks and 2-10 on 3rd down should have been good enough to win.   Hutch has taken his game to another level and it’s awesome to watch.

Not going to panic yet but next week will tell if we have real problems with the offense or not.  Hopefully, Amon-Ra is not injured. 

• Like 1