9/10/24 6:40PM Rockies @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

19 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

This is somewhat awkwardly written, you could infer that "throwing a Maddux" included facing the minimum number of batters, which it does not.  A Maddux is a complete game shutout with under 100 pitches.  I know that he knows that, he intended "facing the minimum" to be an additional feature, not part of the Maddux.

to my eye, the parentheses do a pretty good job of delineating it.

15 hours ago, kdog said:

Have any of the Willi Castro superfans checked his stats recently?

I understand this is a bit of a tangent thought away from your point, but I've always thought the all star game should be later in the season to involve a bigger piece of the season to build out the rosters.

10 hours ago, Crazy Cat Gentleman said:

remind me, is that what we call a Maddux? CGSO on under 100 pitches?

I think we can call it a Montero when it is completely out of the blue.  A Maddux has some sort of understood possibility to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, papalawrence said:

I agree. We are seeing some of the fruits of AA. He wasn't all bad. Include Skubal in that. Harris is likely adding huge to player development, but AA brought in some goods.

On a sports talk show several years ago, someone (maybe Bowden?) said an unnamed mlb gm said AA had no idea how to negotiate trades and his personality was almost intolerable. I wanted him gone then. That's where DD shines. 

Yes, it seemed AA was decent at scouting and a few other things. However, trades and player development along with putting the right people in place for the latter were not really there.

I have been on SHarris at times. However, I do see his plan. It is to develop from the foundation up. It makes sense. Player development is of utmost importance and we have lacked here for a long time. AA got some players into the system but Harris and co. are developing several of them.

I like Harris' approach on FAs. It does not seem long term deals are often in his thoughts (based on his signings here and at SF). They rarely work out - but there may have to be an exception here and there.

He seems to have the right idea with pitching. It is so volatile and short term deals may be more the wave of the future. Heck, higher AAV may be the way to go with many position players as well. I know 3B MChapman just got a larger/longer deal - but IMHO, SF may be regretting this before long.

I also think organizations need to get wiser with SPs (maybe some are). DCone has mentioned a few times, each club may need 10 SPs that can give apx 150 +/- innings between MLB and AAA (some at AA perhaps). IMHO, it seems there should perhaps be better pay for the Jacob Junis' of the world. Meaning contracts based on innings at both the MLB and AAA season. This type of SP is all over and they often are starting meaningful games these days. Injuries are more prevalent now than ever before. It is just a fact. Hence, depth is of utmost importance. It 'seems' Harris and co. know this.

As for trades? DD was very good at this (yet not every trade works for any GM of course). It seems so far so good. SHarris and JGreenberg will have to rely on scouting but the 'negotiating' part still remains to be seen.

IMHO, the Tigers are developing a core at the MLB level with potentials also on the way. Depth is of utmost importance and luck, for every team, is also part of the equation (ex extensive injuries, etc.). If the ownership backing is there - as it would seem it is ex the recent past with ERod, JBaez, etc. signings and the ok to the AMeadows deal, etc. and Harris has mentioned it would be, the sustainability for a competitive team should be in the cards. That is all we can ask for from a fan standpoint. Go Tigers!

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I understand this is a bit of a tangent thought away from your point, but I've always thought the all star game should be later in the season to involve a bigger piece of the season to build out the rosters.

Middle of the season is fine for playing it, but It should be voted at the end of the previous season.

Or do the note during ST to help drum up interest pre-season.

Edited by gehringer_2

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

It sure would be nice to see a Twins/Royals collapse down the stretch and us to pull off the miracle and grab a WC spot but even if ...

I think the Tigers stealing a Wild Card spot this year would be crazy exciting...!

We weren't even dreaming of this a couple weeks ago...

And now... All of a sudden...?

Heck...

YEAH!!!

3 hours ago, alex said:

Yes, it seemed AA was decent at scouting and a few other things. However, trades and player development along with putting the right people in place for the latter were not really there.

I have been on SHarris at times. However, I do see his plan. It is to develop from the foundation up. It makes sense. Player development is of utmost importance and we have lacked here for a long time. AA got some players into the system but Harris and co. are developing several of them.

I like Harris' approach on FAs. It does not seem long term deals are often in his thoughts (based on his signings here and at SF). They rarely work out - but there may have to be an exception here and there.

He seems to have the right idea with pitching. It is so volatile and short term deals may be more the wave of the future. Heck, higher AAV may be the way to go with many position players as well. I know 3B MChapman just got a larger/longer deal - but IMHO, SF may be regretting this before long.

I also think organizations need to get wiser with SPs (maybe some are). DCone has mentioned a few times, each club may need 10 SPs that can give apx 150 +/- innings between MLB and AAA (some at AA perhaps). IMHO, it seems there should perhaps be better pay for the Jacob Junis' of the world. Meaning contracts based on innings at both the MLB and AAA season. This type of SP is all over and they often are starting meaningful games these days. Injuries are more prevalent now than ever before. It is just a fact. Hence, depth is of utmost importance. It 'seems' Harris and co. know this.

As for trades? DD was very good at this (yet not every trade works for any GM of course). It seems so far so good. SHarris and JGreenberg will have to rely on scouting but the 'negotiating' part still remains to be seen.

IMHO, the Tigers are developing a core at the MLB level with potentials also on the way. Depth is of utmost importance and luck, for every team, is also part of the equation (ex extensive injuries, etc.). If the ownership backing is there - as it would seem it is ex the recent past with ERod, JBaez, etc. signings and the ok to the AMeadows deal, etc. and Harris has mentioned it would be, the sustainability for a competitive team should be in the cards. That is all we can ask for from a fan standpoint. Go Tigers!

Excellent post.  What we haven’t seen yet is Harris moving prospects for established players.  Makes sense given where we’ve been, but this offseason we probably should be buyers and have a lot of organizational depth and overlap at some positions.  Will he be willing to move prospects?  DD put on a MasterClass doing that, but we don’t know what Harris’ philosophy is.

Edited by Tenacious D

58 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Excellent post.  What we haven’t seen yet is Harris moving prospects for established players.  Makes sense given where we’ve been, but this offseason we probably should be buyers and have a lot of organizational depth and overlap at some positions.  Will he be willing to move prospects?  DD put on a MasterClass doing that, but we don’t know what Harris’ philosophy is.

The Tampa way. Talented players get too expensive? Trade them for prospects and always have fresh talent to replace them. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ilitch won't do full Tampa - you'll see them spend to keep selected player, just not very many.

That's why I could see Skubal being dealt this winter. I don't want him to be dealt but his stock would be higher with 2 years of control and while he's healthy. Especially with the Tigers history of developing young pitchers and the reclamation of veteran pitchers. If we can get some "can't miss" prospects for him....

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

That's why I could see Skubal being dealt this winter. I don't want him to be dealt but his stock would be higher with 2 years of control and while he's healthy. Especially with the Tigers history of developing young pitchers and the reclamation of veteran pitchers. If we can get some "can't miss" prospects for him....

Or proven major leaguers but I agree keeping him seems best.