9/10/24 6:40PM Rockies @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

While I don't expect him to be like that going forward cause if he was that would make him a bonafide superstar but I do have faith that he can settle into the upper 700s and if he does along with his great defense in center that would still make him a damn good player and potential All Star going forward. 

Things are coming up aces for the Tigers wrt position players right now. Meadows, Greene, Keith looking like solid 10yr pros, Vierling and Carpenter solid. Jung with a fine OBS so far and Sweeney at least forcing a longer look. McKinstry and Ibanez looking like perfect utility guys. What a reversal from the 1st half of the season. 

Ibanez will be a FA though - might be looking for more playing time somewhere else.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Things are coming up aces for the Tigers wrt position players right now. Meadows, Vierling, Greene, Keith looking like solid 10yr pros. Jung with a fine OBS so far and Sweeney at least forcing a longer look. McKinstry and Ibanez looking like perfect utility guys. What a reversal from the 1st half of the season. 

Ibanez will be a FA though - might be looking for more playing time somewhere else.

Ibanez is not a free agent until after 2028.  

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Can't help but notice that some of the posters that were so prominent in the game threads earlier in the year have gone M.I.A. the past month or so...I wonder why?

The next time the Tigers lose, Tim Miller will start a thread about how Hinch blew another one.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

some kudos to Team Avila. They drafted Meadows knowing the development would be long and not a sure thing, but a jackpot was waiting for the Tigers if he figured it out. Don't know if that would have happened without Garko and Team Harris, but he looks like an impactful player for years to come.

• Like 1

It sure would be nice to see a Twins/Royals collapse down the stretch and us to pull off the miracle and grab a WC spot but even if they don't I'll be happy if the team just continues to play well and close the season strong.

I'm not necessarily a believer in things carrying over to the next season but it certainly doesn't hurt things to close out the season on an upward trajectory. Not only would it possibly open ownerships eyes and potentially their wallets it also may help the young players buy into and believe in the organization and maybe work that much harder in the offseason. Regardless though like I said it can't be a bad thing to for them to keep winning the rest of the way even if they don't end up catching the Royals or Twins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It sure would be nice to see a Twins/Royals collapse down the stretch and us to pull off the miracle and grab a WC spot but even if they don't I'll be happy if the team just continues to play well and close the season strong.

I'm not necessarily a believer in things carrying over to the next season but it certainly doesn't hurt things to close out the season on an upward trajectory. Not only would it possibly open ownerships eyes and potentially their wallets it also may help the young players buy into and believe in the organization and maybe work that much harder in the offseason. Regardless though like I said it can't be a bad thing to for them to keep winning the rest of the way even if they don't end up catching the Royals or Twins. 

Coming close almost always make a team mentally tougher the next year assuming there isn't big turnover, and the heart of this team is going to stay together.

• Like 1

It was a very enjoyable game, even though I only glanced at on AtBat as I was hanging out with friends up in the mountains of Central Idaho where debris is raining down from smoky skies and we’re surrounded by fires. Had a great dinner during most of the game. Glad we won and Montero had such a good game. Looking forward to tomorrow night and Thursday afternoon’s game. 

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm not necessarily a believer in things carrying over to the next season

NFL is different, but Lions 2022 success did carry over. What's awesome is that they are making this move with all the kids. Ibanez only hitter over 29; and Miller and Maeda only pitchers.

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

I went to Monteros first start this year and 2 others and I won’t pretend to be an expert on pitching but I always liked what I saw in spurts.  Tonight’s game was a fun one to be at.  

IMG_0029.jpeg

proud michigan wolverine.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

The next time the Tigers lose, Tim Miller will start a thread about how Hinch blew another one.  

i dont think the manager makes that much of a difference game to game, but i do think the organization makes a difference over the long haul. hinch and harris are finally leading this organization out of the dark ages.  its nice to see.

but...but....trash cans!!!!!

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

some kudos to Team Avila. They drafted Meadows knowing the development would be long and not a sure thing, but a jackpot was waiting for the Tigers if he figured it out. Don't know if that would have happened without Garko and Team Harris, but he looks like an impactful player for years to come.

I agree. We are seeing some of the fruits of AA. He wasn't all bad. Include Skubal in that. Harris is likely adding huge to player development, but AA brought in some goods.

On a sports talk show several years ago, someone (maybe Bowden?) said an unnamed mlb gm said AA had no idea how to negotiate trades and his personality was almost intolerable. I wanted him gone then. That's where DD shines. 

2 hours ago, kdog said:

This is somewhat awkwardly written, you could infer that "throwing a Maddux" included facing the minimum number of batters, which it does not.  A Maddux is a complete game shutout with under 100 pitches.  I know that he knows that, he intended "facing the minimum" to be an additional feature, not part of the Maddux.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Remember about 3 or 4 weeks ago when Parker Meadows got hot (longer?) and we said he couldn't possibly keep putting up those numbers? Well, he is. Against both LH and RH pitchers. 

I mean, he's absolutely not putting up the 175 wRC+ and 10 WAR pace he was.

He's still doing great and performing at an all-star level, he's just not the second coming of Willie Mays.