9/11/24 6:40PM Rockies @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

7 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Imagine if Mize and Tork were studs worthy of their draft position. This team would be so much more exciting. I guess we got Skubal, but man it’s hard to overcome multiple busts like that in a single rebuild. 

They are overcoming it right now. But going forward, they can't rely on the fact that either guy is a top pick. That status doesn't mean anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Imagine if Mize and Tork were studs worthy of their draft position. This team would be so much more exciting. I guess we got Skubal, but man it’s hard to overcome multiple busts like that in a single rebuild. 

I wouldn't give up on either of them yet.    Mize is in his TJ recovery year and that is typically a difficult year.    Tork will never hit for average but I do think he can be fixed.  

Imagine if Javy Baez played to career averages.     You can play the imagine game all day every day.     Neither of these guys are washed up.  

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wouldn't give up on either of them yet.    Mize is in his TJ recovery year and that is typically a difficult year.    Tork will never hit for average but I do think he can be fixed.  

Imagine if Javy Baez played to career averages.     You can play the imagine game all day every day.     Neither of these guys are washed up. 

If you want to win next year, you can't go into the season needing Tork to be a core right handed bat. All he can be is a just a guy who has a chance to make the roster. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and yet per fangraphs the Tigers total tam WAR is -1 with 74 wins and the Yankees are only  12.8 with 84. What's missing in the numbers on the BR league page?

I'm not sure. Other people would know better than me. From what I see on Fangraphs, they have 15.8 WAR for offense and 15.6 for pitching. So 31 wins more than the 40 something a replacement level team would have.

8 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I'm not sure. Other people would know better than me. From what I see on Fangraphs, they have 15.8 WAR for offense and 15.6 for pitching. So 31 wins more than the 40 something a replacement level team would have.

the number on the league page can't be the player totals even though it appears to purport to be.

Edited by gehringer_2

terrible AB by Torkelson. Took the FB in the zone, swung and missed at two breaking balls. I watched Brandon Inge do that exact pattern a thousand times - take the FB and then swing and miss at the breaking ball out of the zone. I've never understood why any hitter would expect a fastball on 0 - 1.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

KC loses in extras!

If the Tigers had been as healthy as the Royals have been all year I’m pretty sure they would have similar records. As it is, the difference is only 4.5 games. I still like the Tigers future better, although Detroit has no one like Bobby Witt. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

If the Tigers had been as healthy as the Royals have been all year I’m pretty sure they would have similar records. As it is, the difference is only 4.5 games. I still like the Tigers future better, although Detroit has no one like Bobby Witt. 

I agree. And Detroit's farm is still stronger than KC. Next year should be an even tighter race in the Central 

1 hour ago, SeattleMike said:

Bobby Witt might be the best player in the game not named Shoei but don’t sleep on Riley Greene who could blossom 🌼 much further despite the noodle arm and 90 year old running form. He can run down balls and had a great great hitting eye. 

40 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Bobby Witt might be the best player in the game not named Shoei but don’t sleep on Riley Greene who could blossom 🌼 much further despite the noodle arm and 90 year old running form. He can run down balls and had a great great hitting eye. 

That reminds me of a question on the old forum about 10 years ago...if you were starting a new team and could choose one player to build around, who would that be?  Most people chose Trout, the sensible choice at the time.  I took Lindor and was, quite rightly, buried in cow manure by my colleagues, which was then soaked with gasoline and set on fire.

The answer today is Bobby Witt, isn't it?