9/11/24 6:40PM Rockies @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

6 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That reminds me of a question on the old forum about 10 years ago...if you were starting a new team and could choose one player to build around, who would that be?  Most people chose Trout, the sensible choice at the time.  I took Lindor and was, quite rightly, buried in cow manure by my colleagues, which was then soaked with gasoline and set on fire.

The answer today is Bobby Witt, isn't it?

I've always liked Lindor.  All other things being (relatively) equal, I think I'd always take a SS over a CF.

44 minutes ago, casimir said:

And I think Baez' contract is in that discussion as well.

The real creativity this off-season would be to move on from both Javy and Tork. That being said, the Tigers are probably closer to being moved to Nashville than to cut ties with those two.

They have a great opportunity to slow walk Javy's injury...no matter how quickly he heals. Send him to AAA for as long as they are allowed to keep him there on a rehab assignment. Send him there clearly telling him what he specifically needs to work on (along with general rehab). If they don't see progress in AAA, they cut him.

Tork will get another chance.

1 minute ago, CaliforniaDreaming said:

They have a great opportunity to slow walk Javy's injury...no matter how quickly he heals. Send him to AAA for as long as they are allowed to keep him there on a rehab assignment. Send him there clearly telling him what he specifically needs to work on (along with general rehab). If they don't see progress in AAA, they cut him.

To the tune of the Gilligan's Island theme song, a 3 year rehab.

• Like 2

AJ would not commit to Baez being ready for the start of spring training. doubtful, but possible this hip injury was hampering him at the plate. more likely result is that his athleticism takes yet another hit and he never finds his previous form. until Harris finds someone better, I would lightly pencil Baez in for 2025, but it is obviously a matter of when they dfa him, not if. and that date is moving closer every day.

If Sweeney is capable as the LH'ed starter at SS in 2025...

Than Baez can be the short side of a platoon and a defensive replacement, if needed. He can also play other positions, so he could conceivably end up as a utility guy in 2025.

A very expensive one though.

But I'd rather they move on and look to the future. The exact same position can be filled by Kreidler or Workman, just to see if one of them can stick. But they'd have to be good enough defensively at SS, and I don't know if Kreidler is, or if Workman is ready for MLB just yet...

I'm just sayin'...

10 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That reminds me of a question on the old forum about 10 years ago...if you were starting a new team and could choose one player to build around, who would that be?  Most people chose Trout, the sensible choice at the time.  I took Lindor and was, quite rightly, buried in cow manure by my colleagues, which was then soaked with gasoline and set on fire.

The answer today is Bobby Witt, isn't it?

Yes. Provided he stays on the field of course. 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

AJ would not commit to Baez being ready for the start of spring training. doubtful, but possible this hip injury was hampering him at the plate. more likely result is that his athleticism takes yet another hit and he never finds his previous form. until Harris finds someone better, I would lightly pencil Baez in for 2025, but it is obviously a matter of when they dfa him, not if. and that date is moving closer every day.

Probably wishful thinking, but reading between the lines...

Does the comment on the hip injury set up a possibility of an injury related buyout of his contract and open the door for an insurance settlement?

50 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Probably wishful thinking, but reading between the lines...

Does the comment on the hip injury set up a possibility of an injury related buyout of his contract and open the door for an insurance settlement?

You're thinking of the NFL, where they do that.

There's no such thing in MLB. As Ratko says, he's getting the "whole enchilada".

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

If Sweeney is capable as the LH'ed starter at SS in 2025...

Than Baez can be the short side of a platoon and a defensive replacement, if needed. He can also play other positions, so he could conceivably end up as a utility guy in 2025.

A very expensive one though.

But I'd rather they move on and look to the future. The exact same position can be filled by Kreidler or Workman, just to see if one of them can stick. But they'd have to be good enough defensively at SS, and I don't know if Kreidler is, or if Workman is ready for MLB just yet...

I'm just sayin'...

Re: Workman, isn’t he only hitting left handed now?