9/13/24 6:40PM Orioles @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

He had a hit low and away and other inside. When you can cover inside to outside you are hard to get out!

Entering tonight he had a K rate of 19.2% in 151 PAs since being recalled. And K rate actually stabilizes pretty well with a sample that pick, so the usual small sample caveats don't really apply.

He was at a 149 wRC+ before tonight in those 151 PAs, and none of the underlying numbers were really unsustainable. His BABIP was .352, which may not be sustainable over a 3 year period, but can be sustained over a season. So he's probably benefitted from a little batted ball luck, but not too much. Even if you were to regress the BABIP .30 or so points he'd still clear a 140 wRC+. His ISO is around .230 or so and that's completely sustainable. Can obviously swing a bit year to year, but overall you'd expect Meadows to reliably have an ISO of .200+.

Meadows will hit for enough power that as long as he maintains a K rate of 20% he'll be a 130+ OPS+ hitter, and that is starting to look like a very promising and realistic outcome.

Another thing you see when no-hitters are achieved, or in tonight's case lost in the ninth: they interview the pitcher after the game and ask about the no-hitter, what the pitcher was thinking during the game, and most of the time, pitchers say, "I didn't know there was a no-hitter going, all I cared about was winning the game." Holton did that just tonight.

We all know that's bull****. Pitchers always know it's going on. They have to know. It's their job to follow the game they're playing and know exactly what the situation is at every point during the game. If they honestly don't know there's a no-hitter in progress—that is, they're not really following the game—then they are in professional dereliction.

Let's put it this way: are we supposed to believe that everyone in the ballpark, tens of thousands of people, know that a no-hitter is in progress during the ninth inning, every single person, except the guy pitching the game? Does that pass the smell test?

So I think it's simply a sort of professional courtesy that everyone in baseball accepts, that the pitcher is usually going to say he didn't know the no-hitter was in progress when asked. And that makes sense, too: if he says he did know and was actively working toward getting it, he might come off looking like he's more concerned about his personal accomplishments than he is about the team winning, and that would be a breach of etiquette. It's a bad look to appear to put yourself above the team. So that's why pitchers usually say they don't know they have a no-hitter going on. But yeah, of course they know. I mean, come on.

That was actually apparent in tonight's game because when Holton said that, Johnny Kane actually doubled over a little laughing and Holton replied with a sly chuckle. Yeah, we all know what the deal is, Tyler. Good on ya.

32 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I definitely remember Turnbull's no hitter less than the no hitters by Verlander and Morris.  That's because I was not so emotionally invested in the Tigers in 2021.  

another reason is that it wasn't only not a good season for the Tigers, it wasn't even a good season for Turnbull. 3 starts, 15 IP and 2 team losses after the no-hitter and his season was over. Doesn't create real positive memories!

10 hours ago, oblong said:

Didn’t Turnbull throw one when other guys were doing it too?  Something was up. I know I can look it up but that’s not fun. 

Yup - There were a lot of no-hitters in 21. 4 in May alone and Kluber threw another one the very next day, and for the ever media hogging Yankees no less.

(turns out ESPN has a no-hitter history page - first search hit - so not so much not fun....😉

https://www.espn.com/mlb/history/nohitters )

Edited by gehringer_2

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yup - There were a lot of no-hitters in 21. 4 in May alone and Kluber threw another one the very next day, and for the ever media hogging Yankees no less.

(turns out ESPN has a no-hitter history page - first search hit - so not so much not fun....😉

https://www.espn.com/mlb/history/nohitters )

I like to pretend we are all in a bar or cafe without the internet trying to figure things out. 

• Haha 1