9/16/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

Tigeraholic1

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I started noticing that last season. I hope he is okay.

Yes. I’ve noticed slip ups. Heck, I’m slipping, but yeah, I’ve noticed them. I could’ve sworn last night that Johnny Kane said Colt Keith hit a three run homer instead of a two run homer. Maybe they’re all losing their minds. 

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

The pitch clock seems a little bit hurried to me at times, and I wouldn’t have a problem if they added few seconds to it. it just feels patently unnatural. Five additional seconds would increase games by 25 minutes if there are 300 pitches per game. Maybe that’s too much. Three seconds would add 15 minutes which isn’t too bad. I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m in the minority on this. I certainly don’t want to go back to nearly 4 hour long games. 

Pitchers are already delivering pitches with 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 seconds still on the clock, so i don’t think there’s much on-field evidence in support that pitchers need more time.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Pitchers are already delivering pitches with 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 seconds still on the clock, so i don’t think there’s much on-field evidence in support that pitchers need more time.

I think you’re right. I’m not sure they need more time, but I do. It just goes against my grain and disrupts the pastoral fantasy that I have of the game and submits it to the work ethic of the factory, which I find antithetical to the poetry of the game. 

Last year I brought up the pitch clock having an effect on radio broadcasters, meaning they have to hurry up, or cut back on some things, like setting up the situation, giving hte count, etc.  I wonder if that's related to Dickerson's work?  Throws them off the rhythm.

• Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

with a very few exceptions like Joaquin Benoit, the problem was never the pitchers, it was the batters. They could give the pitchers all the time they want and the game time wouldn't change much as long as they make the batter get in the box in 8 (?) seconds. They call the system a 'pitch clock' but the timing that made all the difference was on the batter. So a little semantic misdirection at work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Yes. I’ve noticed slip ups. Heck, I’m slipping, but yeah, I’ve noticed them. I could’ve sworn last night that Johnny Kane said Colt Keith hit a three run homer instead of a two run homer. Maybe they’re all losing their minds. 

I also think this latest Tigers playoff drive has them all giddy.  I'll allow it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

with a very few exceptions like Joaquin Benoit, the problem was never the pitchers, it was the batters. They could give the pitchers all the time they want and the game time wouldn't change much as long as they make the batter get in the box in 8 (?) seconds. They call the system a 'pitch clock' but the timing that made all the difference was on the batter. So a little semantic misdirection at work.

Yep.  Especially since there's the rule that the hitter has to be in the box "addressing" the pitcher by a certain point.  If it were really a pitch clock then to me that wouldn't exist.  It's on the hitter to be ready for the pitcher.  If they want to jump in at 2 seconds while the pitcher's about to throw, so be it.

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

Last year I brought up the pitch clock having an effect on radio broadcasters, meaning they have to hurry up, or cut back on some things, like setting up the situation, giving hte count, etc.  I wonder if that's related to Dickerson's work?  Throws them off the rhythm.

That is a stellar insight. 

I remember early on in his first season in 2006 that Verlander seem to just get the ball and throw it quickly. Granted, I noticed this when I was in a bar in Montana, watching it on a screen from a distance and I didn’t have many chances to see games then on TV, but he didn’t seem to evince a particularly contemplative pose between pitches. This changed later into the season when I caught another few televised games, but early on when he was green he just seemed to have no compunctions about getting the ball and throwing it. Maybe it was just my small sample size of viewing possibilities at the time.

51 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I think you’re right. I’m not sure they need more time, but I do. It just goes against my grain and disrupts the pastoral fantasy that I have of the game and submits it to the work ethic of the factory, which I find antithetical to the poetry of the game. 

The ironic part is that when baseball hit the scene in the 1870s, it was seen as a fast, rough-and-tumble game full of running and energy, like nothing American or other industrialized countries had seen at the time. Games routinely took a little more than an hour, and even while Ruth roamed the landscape, many if not most games came in under two hours. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

They call the system a 'pitch clock' but the timing that made all the difference was on the batter. So a little semantic misdirection at work.

Captain Actually confirms that they call it a pitch timer, not a pitch clock, the difference being that timers count down, and clocks count forward.

When I was 20 I played in a league where it was the norm to run on and off the field, stay in the batter's box between pitches, and the pitcher would catch the ball from the catcher and be ready for the next pitch without screwing around.  We played two 7 inning games with a 15 minute break in-between the games quicker than the typical Yankees-Red Sox game would last.

2 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

When I was 20 I played in a league where it was the norm to run on and off the field, stay in the batter's box between pitches, and the pitcher would catch the ball from the catcher and be ready for the next pitch without screwing around.  We played two 7 inning games with a 15 minute break in-between the games quicker than the typical Yankees-Red Sox game would last.

Wasn’t it great to be 20 and feeling no pain?