9/17/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

Tigeraholic1

Looking ahead to Saturday against the Orioles, currently we have no listed starter so I'm assuming it's another bullpen/opener day. Just throwing it out there but Jobe last pitched on Sunday so his next schedule start would probably be Friday or Saturday, do the Tigers dare bring him up for a spot appearance against the Orioles? Only reason I bring it up is because we just faced them last week so they will be familiar with our current guys so throwing Jobe out there even to start for a few innings could be a good idea. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Looking ahead to Saturday against the Orioles, currently we have no listed starter so I'm assuming it's another bullpen/opener day. Just throwing it out there but Jobe last pitched on Sunday so his next schedule start would probably be Friday or Saturday, do the Tigers dare bring him up for a spot appearance against the Orioles? Only reason I bring it up is because we just faced them last week so they will be familiar with our current guys so throwing Jobe out there even to start for a few innings could be a good idea. 

well, I suppose anything is possible, but strike one would be thatJobe is not on the 40.

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

They win the tie breaker so we have to finish ahead of them and/or KC.

Yeah I factored that in, they are currently 2 back in the loss column so if we only lose 3 the rest of the way that means they can only lose 5 so anything worse than 6-5 for them would put us ahead. 

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Should be Madden's spot or Montero if they skip Madden.

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I factored that in, they are currently 2 back in the loss column so if we only lose 3 the rest of the way that means they can only lose 5 so anything worse than 6-5 for them would put us ahead. 

I misread your first post.

23 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don’t think there’s any way Jobe is on the 40 man until the end of Spring training when he starts next year in Detroit.

With all the great pitching, we’ve gone to plenty of room on the 40 man this offseason to some tough decisions.  Especially when the 60 day DL guys need added.  I could see a few trades for minor leaguers of guys like Faedo so they can keep guys that are proving worth now and would almost be guaranteed to be claimed.

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I'm the same way, every time he's on the mound I feel like our only chance is to get lucky and he gets a bunch of "at'em balls" or we score a bunch a runs.  

10 base runners in 4.1 IP.  I know they were pitching around Witt and walked him 3x, but that many runners in that short of span is a recipe for disaster.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jobe also got hammered in his first Toledo start.

4 hours ago, tiger2022 said:

10 base runners in 4.1 IP.  I know they were pitching around Witt and walked him 3x, but that many runners in that short of span is a recipe for disaster.

Command just isn't there. His sinker was often up, his 4 seamer was often down, which seems backward. A lot of his sequencing seemed less than optimal. He threw the split a lot at before he got to two strikes and guys just spit on it. The one hit by Salvy they just kept going away-away-away and a smart old fox like Perez just stepped across the plate and hit one - you could see it coming. And the one pitch that Casey seems to always get hurt on is a 4 seam fastball - at or even a little below the bottom of zone but in the middle of the plate, which is what Massey hit for the RBI - 105EV.

Edited by gehringer_2

I know we all want him to come up yesterday and start throwing perfect games already, but Jackson Jobe is not coming to Detroit this year. He is the system's top pitching prospect, so we are going to baby his development. The cost of his failing at the big league level would be too high, so we are not going to throw him immediately to the wolves and see if he can fight his way out. That's not what you do to #1 pitching prospects. That's what you do to the Keider Monteros and Ty Maddens of your system, the guys for whom it would be a total bonus if they can come and and shove in the bigs, and if they fail, it's far less of a problem.

• Thanks 1