9/18/24 7:40PM Tigers @ Royals

Tigeraholic1

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I love the catch, and thank you, Tork, but that catch is not gonna save him if he’s not hitting.

3BB in 5PA is a 600 OBP for the night. He just improved his OPS on the night. EDIIT: I see this has already been noted.....)

We were talking earlier in the day about guys brought up too soon - I'd say Spencer is a worse example than any of the pitchers. He never established good contact skill before he was brought up and when he put some balls in the seats last season nobody cared, but his weaknesses as a hitter were still there. 267 BA since he's come back up is his best stretch of contact since his one decent month  (May) last season.

Edited by gehringer_2

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Plus the White Sox have to go 6-3 to avoid losing more than the 1962 Mets.    So that's a bonus.  

There’s an excellent chance loss 121 takes place in Big Shoulders, and a significantly smaller chance it happens in Detroit. Either way, somebody on this board is gonna be there for it.

34 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

The Tigers have never had a team like this - one that was not supposed to win and was pretty much out of it half way through the season and the came out of nowhere to be arguably the best team in baseball down the stretch.  This is unprecedented.  

My following the Tigers goes back to 1961. The 1967 squad has always had a soft spot in my heart because it was so so close, yet so far, losing it on the last day of   the season. That team was supposed to be pretty good at the beginning of the season though.

This team is unprecedented and is rapidly becoming my all-time favorite Tiger team.

Edited by HeyAbbott
spelling
  • Like 2

Mickey York keeps saying that Jung had a “matrix like“ slide, which is encroaching upon Jason‘s territory for cultural references. I had the radio feed on for audio on TV though. Sports Illustrated called it “the coolest slide of the season.”

16 minutes ago, papalawrence said:

FYI Hiller and Hernandez did both win the AL "Fireman of the year" award, before it was changed to rolaids. 

Hiller did in 1973 (Rolaids started in 1976).  It was called the Rolaids Award when Hernandez had his big year, but Quissenberry won the award.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAbbott said:

My following the Tigers goes back to 1961. The 1967 squad has always had a soft spot in my heart because it was so so close, yet so far, losing it on the last day of   the season. That team was supposed to be pretty good at the beginning of the season though.

This team is unprecedented and is rapidly becoming my all-time favorite Tiger team.

I started in 1967 and that double play finish made 1968 all the sweeter so nothing surpasses that though 1972 1987 1984 and the DD years were great. But this year is super special no matter the outcome. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I’m gonna say it now: Tork doesn’t make it onto the Tigers roster next spring. 

EDIT: lol, and just now he made literally the best catch of his entire life!

He's completely the wrong profile, but I would love to see Torkelson go play winter ball. Just work on technique in a zero pressure environment.