9/21/24 4:05PM Tigers @ Orioles

Tigeraholic1

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Believe it or not, I was at the game in Toledo where he got hurt. It was June 14, according to my calendar, and they had to walk him off the field. Sad, but, really, we don't need him anymore, so if we can't get him super cheap in Arb1, like, sub-$1 million, we probably let him walk.

He's not arb eligible.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Attempting a joke at your post tilting a bit McCosky-esque.

Do you think so? I don't. Jason Foley is not a replacement-level ex-Tiger I could never care about anymore. He's a replacement-level current Tiger who I still care about at the moment.

I was actually wondering whether you meant Chris Fetter.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Do you think so? I don't. Jason Foley is not a replacement-level ex-Tiger I could never care about anymore.

right -the match was not for players situation, the parallel would be in having a non-objective level of personal concern for a player - which is actually fine for a fan but I had just been reading some sports writing so that's how it struck me in the moment. 

He's a replacement-level current Tiger who I still care about at the moment.

Ok - that was funnier.

Basking in the afterglow of a victory like this is so delicious and innocent. It reminds me of being eight years old when I thought I was very fortunate to root for a team with Al Kaline on it who was so good they named batteries after him. Honest to God I actually thought that. 

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

Basking in the afterglow of a victory like this is so delicious and innocent. It reminds me of being eight years old when I thought I was very fortunate to root for a team with Al Kaline on it who was so good they named batteries after him. Honest to God I actually thought that. 

Thank god I'm not the only one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, holygoat said:

I thought he meant Chris Ilitch.

And Foley will be just fine. His teammates bailed his a** out, so if anything he can pitch with more confidence going forward.

Damn.  i blew it. Like any smart author I should have left my audience guessing and thinking they were the reason they didn't get it.

1 minute ago, holygoat said:

Thank god I'm not the only one.

I’m glad I’m not alone. But it gets more embarrassing. Around the same time I picked up a copy of “the baseball digest“ at the news stand and there was an ad for Strato Matic in the back that said it would “bring major league ball players into your home.“ I think my mistrust of advertising began at this time, because I knew that was impossible. I asked a neighbor who was two years older than me about it, and he laughed at me, and although he didn’t understand the word “metaphor” he explained how metaphors worked. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Someone should probably let Baseball Reference know that.

image.thumb.png.d0d4b078d8d499444ca5aec672acf39b.png

I mean, they are probably guessing that because he was 2+ last year he would be, but he doesn't have 3 years and he didn't have 86 days of service this year. Therefore, he's not arb eligible. The free agent date is wrong too.

Unless he grieves his demotion like Turnbull did and gets his service time.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I mean, they are probably guessing that because he was 2+ last year he would be, but he doesn't have 3 years and he didn't have 86 days of service this year. Therefore, he's not arb eligible. The free agent date is wrong too.

did BR ever update service time daily or am I just 'mis-remembering' that because the player's age updates everyday?

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

did BR ever update service time daily or am I just 'mis-remembering' that because the player's age updates everyday?

Service time officially gets set at the end of the year and it is a little easier to calculate age daily than service time.

15 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That welcome triple not-withstanding, i'll still be surprised if he goes north with the team after next ST.

Can we wait until we congratulate the 2024 World Series Champion Detroit Tigers before fiddling with next season's roster, please?

12 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It was great during Tigers Live how Johnny Kane thought he was off camera and was joshing excitedly with Briske and saying “test test..” not his fault the production people’s fault but it was fun. 

Crud, I missed that.

12 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It was great during Tigers Live how Johnny Kane thought he was off camera and was joshing excitedly with Briske and saying “test test..” not his fault the production people’s fault but it was fun. 

I saw that.....and my immediate reaction was that I know Johnny realizes how fortunate he is to have that gig. I've enjoyed my career, but man, I'd love to have a job like that for Detroit sports

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Edman85 said:

OK, that might be one of those things where they establish it at the beginning of the season under a set of assumptions and then don’t revisit it until the same time next year.

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Service time officially gets set at the end of the year and it is a little easier to calculate age daily than service time.

Calculating service time seems like the kind of thing that would be easy to figure out how even if it’s a little complicated to program. I run into that kind of thing while using Excel all the time.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Calculating service time seems like the kind of thing that would be easy to figure out how even if it’s a little complicated to program. I run into that kind of thing while using Excel all the time.

I'm able to do it, but only for the Tigers, and it is complicated. You can use transaction logs, but they are sometimes incomplete and don't necessarily let you know if the transaction happened before or after the game. Then you get the <20 day rule, grievances, the September 1 rule, the 3-days after Labor Day rule, etc.

It's nice that places like BP, FG, and Cots report it to the January number so you don't have to unbake their assumptions.

The guy on twitter I found this year (Lee calls him Pirates Edman) is trying it for every player, importing transactions daily. I want to tackle that if I can trust the transactions log, and am in the process of transitioning my sheet from Google to Excel to maybe up the scraping capability.

Edited by Edman85
  • Thanks 1