Week Four: Seattle Seahawks (3-0) @ Detroit Lions (2-1)

3 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I really didn't understand it. I don't know that that decision lost them the game, but it was very odd. I think it certainly changed the attitude of both teams a bit though so I'm glad they tried and failed.

This is the new way.  It’s a play for the win mentality.  When they extended the XP to become at 33 yard kick, it lowered the risk margin between XP and 2pt conversion.   GB did the same thing against Minny yesterday.   

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Absolutely brutal officiating down the stretch of this game on both sides. 

Totally agree. Many times I thought the calls on the Lions were bad and many times the calls on the 'Hawks were: "UImm... o... okay, I'll take it I guess.... it helped us so..."

The 2-pt attempted especially... that was pretty clearly a successful try there and I think the refs were so worried about enforcing the penalty on the Lions that no one thought: "Hmmm... should we double check if he made the catch or not?"

7 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

Off the top of my head. In no order:

Goff, darnold, love, mayfield, cousins, carr, stafford, purdy, Mayfield, Prescott, hurts, Daniels, Lamar, burrow, stroud, Mahomes, Herbert, Rodgers, Allen, tua.  That’s 20 better QBs. 

Currently:
Geno is leaving the league in passing yards (Granted, getting 383 against the Lions helped that).
Geno is second in completion percentage for players who have 50+ passing attempts.
Geno is first in attempts, and first in completions

Smith may not be top tier QB, but he's far from a bottom feeder.

17 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Currently:
Geno is leaving the league in passing yards (Granted, getting 383 against the Lions helped that).
Geno is second in completion percentage for players who have 50+ passing attempts.

Smith is a good player. He has very good receivers. DK Metcalf is basically impossible to defend. 

Geno is the exact type of QB that we will struggle with, he is mobile enough in the pocket to avoid a single rusher and is also highly accurate. He doesn't have the Mahomes or Allen type howitzer on him nor the Lamar Jackson physical tools on the ground which prevents him from being elite but in a controlled environment playing against a young secondary his accuracy will always pose problems for a defense. 

For all the talk about the Lions defense not adjusting, how about the Seahawks defense? This is the third year in a row that the Lions shredded them and they made coaching changes in the offseason and it didn't matter when it came to stopping us. Sometimes you just go up against an opponent and QB that is just a matchup nightmare for you and the Seahawks and Geno could very well be that for the Lions just like Goff and the Lions are that for the Seahawks D. 

Geno is very similar to Goff in that most fans across the league tend to discount him based on the past and ignore the great work he’s done the past few years.  Lions fans should know how good Geno can be.  

Also, these nagging injuries are the only thing keeping Kenneth Walker III from being a top 3 RB in the NFL.  Maybe even #1 overall.  He’s a beast.  

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Very much agree on that. Get in the end zone, then celebrate.

And speaking of celebrations, why the heck is dunking still a foul? That's beyond stupid. I mean I get why it was a foul back when the NFL was the ultimate No Fun League with cracking down on TD celebrations, but now that they're not doing that anymore (thank goodness), why is dunking still a foul?

I don't think he got it for dunking. I think he got it for high stepping.... then dunking.... then jumping into the crowd. Mayyyybe a little bit "excessive".

Currently:

Yeah, well, I don't hear anyone chanting his name. 😅😅

• Haha 1

I really didn't understand it. I don't know that that decision lost them the game, but it was very odd. I think it certainly changed the attitude of both teams a bit though so I'm glad they tried and failed.

It was a risk but I thought it was reasonable. They were  going to have to do something to get a step ahead even if they got another stop on D and matched the Lions TD total, and they were really clicking at that point and had Lion defense on its heels, so it was as good a time to take advantage of their momentum and try to get the tie breaking point. And to be fair, it looked like the play was there and Geno missed the throw, one of the few he missed all night. 

Look, I fully get that emotions run high during the game an all, but dude... your flip flopping here is off the charts.

Setting yourself up for most likely to join me as "unhinged" for noticing. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Geno is the exact type of QB that we will struggle with, he is mobile enough in the pocket to avoid a single rusher

exactly. Last night the Lions needed more DT  play that contained/collapsed the middle of the pocket and they weren't getting it, so Geno was able to step up and out to get clear of the edge pressure all night.

Edited by gehringer_2

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It was a risk but I thought it was reasonable. They were  going to have to do something to get a step ahead even if they got another stop on D and matched the Lions TD total, and they were really clicking at that point and had Lion defense on its heels, so it was as good a time to take advantage of their momentum and try to get the tie breaking point. And to be fair, it looked like the play was there and Geno missed the throw, one of the few he missed all night. 

I heard an announcer say the difference in the % of the long XP kick and the % of going for 2 wasn't as great as the old days. Analytics says go for 2 in that situation. I don't agree with it but whatever. It didn't work...

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I heard an announcer say the difference in the % of the long XP kick and the % of going for 2 wasn't as great as the old days. Analytics says go for 2 in that situation. I don't agree with it but whatever. It didn't work...

I guess it depends on your kicker and/or short yardage personnel. But in general the thought process is that you will be attempting the 2pt conversion the next 2 TDs(assuming you don't get it the first time) and the numbers say that you have just as good of chance of converting the 2pt conversion 1 of the 2 times as you do successfully kicking the extra point twice. 

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm still an Arnold believer but they have to do something with him during the bye week to try to clean things up. Granted some of the calls he has gotten this year have been a little ticky tack but it's obvious the refs are watching our DBs closely, hell I think Davis was called for more penalties in just this game than he was his last 2 years in TB combined.

I just rewatched last years tampa-detroit playoff game and the announcer said Davis didn't have any PI penalties last season. All year. Amazing...

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But the coach doesn't have an average kicker, he has *his* kicker, and he doesn't have average offensive efficiency, he has what he is getting right now. Those are what have to factor in his decision. League average values should only be a baseline for a coach to judge "this situation is going to be x amount better or worse than the average odds right now." 

Good win, defense looked really gassed in the 2nd half but managed to make the big plays when it mattered. Lions got really lucky with that offensive PI on 4th down, this could have been a completely different game had that call not been made.

Regardless, you take the win but there's a lot to clean up defensively especially. 

Refs helped Lions out when it mattered.

That's what happens when you are one of the Chosen Teams!

Not that concerned about secondary, assuming Branch is around for playoffs and Arnold gets a bit better.

Still have no one opposite Hutch. That was/is/will be a problem.