Week Four: Seattle Seahawks (3-0) @ Detroit Lions (2-1)

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Has it not been called because it isn't being attempted? I feel like that play with Anzalone and Walker is a perfect example. Instead of trying to wrestle him to the ground, I think he attempts the hip drop tackle. 

This is the only one I've seen. It's not like NFL teams to stop doing something just because it's a flag on paper (e.g., OTs lining up too far back). It takes them actually flagging it.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think missing Branch, Barnes, and Iffy hurt yesterday. All three of them are often expected to cover the middle of the field, and it felt like that short crossing pattern was open over, and over, and over again. I'm not educated enough to say who was dropping the ball as a result, maybe Brandon Joseph (who played for Branch) or Campbell/Anzalone/Rodrigo (covering for Barnes).

I think having Branch back against Dallas and allowing him to fly around the field going to where the routes are designed to go will see some of those weaknesses improve.

Someone mentioned missing Barnes setting the edge last night. Reminded me that Walker crushed the team with runs to the edge. 

16 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Someone mentioned missing Barnes setting the edge last night. Reminded me that Walker crushed the team with runs to the edge. 

I think Barnes means more to this run defense than many of us realized. Certainly more than I realized. I was having Michigan/Michigan State flashbacks with the way Walker was gashing this defense on the outside.

On 9/25/2024 at 10:38 AM, Hongbit said:

FA is a harder task because they are expected to come in day one and start.   They also need to be a culture fit with the organization and have a clean record off the field.   These are a lot of boxes to have to check before bringing someone on.   They would probably have more success in FA just finding players that meet box 1 of getting it done on Sunday but that is not how Brad builds his teams.   Hard to argue with his method since it’s working even with the FA misses.  

I disagree on free agency. Usually, unless big money is used, fa is used to fill holes in the roster. That's how Holmes is doing it. Need a third WR? A backup guard?

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This is the only one I've seen. It's not like NFL teams to stop doing something just because it's a flag on paper (e.g., OTs lining up too far back). It takes them actually flagging it.

The NFL has stated that it won't be calling flags on hip drop tackles. They will treat them with fines.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

The ref was ten yards away and he never, ever made any indication that anything had happened at all. He might as well have been a lawn jockey. 

After StB came down it looked like the side judge, who was on the side line at about the 10, was was nodding that the catch was good and was speaking - apparently into his headset. So it looked like he 'phoned it in' but for some reason he never signaled it.  I don't know what the rest of the crew was doing though. Do side judges give priority to  one of the other officials to signal TDs? I've never paid attention to that.

30 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

The ref was ten yards away and he never, ever made any indication that anything had happened at all. He might as well have been a lawn jockey. 

The deep wing on that sideline was there and ruled it a touchdown. He was just far back off the sideline and blended in with the sideline personnel so the broadcast teams didn't see him. The short wing was coming in too, but it's not his call.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

You can see it here at 2:30. (Also a good watch).

All I see is 17 seconds of Miller and Brown saying nobody has made a signal before they simply assumed it was a TD. Which was about the same thing that happened with Buck and Aikman. Embarrassing job by the officials. 

27 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

All I see is 17 seconds of Miller and Brown saying nobody has made a signal before they simply assumed it was a TD. Which was about the same thing that happened with Buck and Aikman. Embarrassing job by the officials. 

In the corner of the screen you can see the official raise his hands. They just don't see it.

image.thumb.png.aad1b0e2aedbcb23debc4f04217a0a46.png

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

That settles it for me. I've been harsh on Arnold with all the penalties he's taken early on, his handsy play, and the poor PPF grades he's gotten to start the season. He's a rookie CB and it's to be expected he'll have a having curve to start out the season. But if the best CB in the league comes out and says he's a good player, I'm on board. 

This is the NFL and it tries to change the rules to increase scoring each year (with safety as its reason).  The rule change could explain the issues with tackling this year (with some other things they need to fix).  Every team needs to adjust.

I know the posters on here are fans of the Lions and are going to focus on what the Lions have done good and what looks bad.  I think the secondary is A LOT better this year.  This year we are getting way too many penalties but they are right there with the receivers.  Last year with the big plays against us, the corners were not even close to the receivers on the big plays.  Similar to what some of the plays against Seattle looked like.  How many times last year with a big play against us, was Sutton 5-10 yards from the play.  If they can improve on the penalties, then we will be fine.  When you shut down the run game, your going to get a lot more passes thrown your way. The fact is when you get 56 passes thrown and with a big receiver like Metcalf, you need to be physical.  There were a couple of plays that Metcalf looked like he was boxing out for a rebound.  How do you defend that when the ref doesn't call it the other way.  They need to improve but those that say the secondary hasn't gotten better is just wrong.  You can be critical although saying we haven't gotten better is just wrong.

Edited by Jimbo

On 10/1/2024 at 4:17 PM, Jason_R said:

He did, and also showed he is very hard to bring down. I was impressed with 'after contact' ability.

On 9/24/2024 at 1:57 PM, KnoxP said:

That may happen some now. It's pretty obvious they think Houston can only do one thing.

For me, 14 snaps with 2 offsides, 1 pressure=couldn't have gone much worse.

• Like 1