Week Four: Seattle Seahawks (3-0) @ Detroit Lions (2-1)

Call me crazy but I don’t think the sea chickens are very good.

They’re 3-0, but have beat Bo Nix and the Broncos by 6, Jacoby Brissett and the Patriots by 3 in OT, and Skylar Thompson and our old friend Tim Boyle, where Miami only scored 3 points.

The Lions are the best offense and best defense they’ll have seen yet. We should win.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Call me crazy but I don’t think the sea chickens are very good.

They’re 3-0, but have beat Bo Nix and the Broncos by 6, Jacoby Brissett and the Patriots by 3 in OT, and Skylar Thompson and our old friend Tim Boyle, where Miami only scored 3 points.

The Lions are the best offense and best defense they’ll have seen yet. We should win.

None of this really matters anymore.  It’s truly a week to week league.  Anyone can beat anyone.   Just look at this past week.  

Who had Carolina dominating at Vegas. 

SF losing to a decimated LA team in a stadium taken over by Niner fans 

Broncos destroying the Bucs on the road

Hapless Giants beating Cleveland on the road

Saints scoring only 1 TD and losing 

Redskins crushing Cincy on the road and again scoring on every possession.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

You're both right. Holmes hits far more than he whiffs and I'm not about to complain about the overall job that he's done, but damn would it be nice to have some consistent production at the edge across from Hutch.

Maybe it's all chess and he's trying to drive down the price of Hutch's extension. "Well, Mr. Agent, I would pay him $175 million over five years, but I read a certain message board and was told that pressures are not as effective as sacks!"

Holmes is arguably the best drafter in the league but there's been a lot of whiffs in free agency banking on previously injured guys to contribute. Started with Williams and Perriman in his first free agency class, Moseley, CJGJ, Davenport and a few others that aren't immediately coming to mind. The good thing is that they were all low risk deals so no harm no foul but it does hurt depth.

In fairness, Holmes has had some hits. Anzalone and Reynolds were two big ones, Raymond and Cominsky were for a time, Harris for a year, Jamaal Williams for a year, Monty obviously, Zeitler and Reader could be big contributors so actually more good than bad now that I look at it and no long term commitments with those guys either outside of Anzalone and Montgomery who are on sweetheart contracts. Damn, Holmes is pretty freaking good lol. Even something that might be seen as a negative on the surface with free agency is still in the positive column for him overall.

Edited by NYLion

12 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Holmes is arguably the best drafter in the league but there's been a lot of whiffs in free agency banking on previously injured guys to contribute. Started with Williams and Perriman in his first free agency class, Moseley, CJGJ, Davenport and a few others that aren't immediately coming to mind. The good thing is that they were all low risk deals so no harm no foul but it does hurt depth.

In fairness, Holmes has had some hits. Anzalone and Reynolds were two big ones, Raymond and Cominsky were for a time, Harris for a year, Jamaal Williams for a year, Monty obviously, Zeitler and Reader could be big contributors so actually more good than bad now that I look at it and no long term commitments with those guys either outside of Anzalone and Montgomery who are on sweetheart contracts. Damn, Holmes is pretty freaking good lol. Even something that might be seen as a negative on the surface with free agency is still in the positive column for him overall.

FA is a harder task because they are expected to come in day one and start.   They also need to be a culture fit with the organization and have a clean record off the field.   These are a lot of boxes to have to check before bringing someone on.   They would probably have more success in FA just finding players that meet box 1 of getting it done on Sunday but that is not how Brad builds his teams.   Hard to argue with his method since it’s working even with the FA misses.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

None of this really matters anymore.  It’s truly a week to week league.  Anyone can beat anyone.   Just look at this past week.  

Who had Carolina dominating at Vegas. 

SF losing to a decimated LA team in a stadium taken over by Niner fans 

Broncos destroying the Bucs on the road

Hapless Giants beating Cleveland on the road

Saints scoring only 1 TD and losing 

Redskins crushing Cincy on the road and again scoring on every possession.

I’m just saying I think the Lions are the better team. I also think water tends to find its level around this time and through the next few weeks. Weird stuff happens in the first few weeks, that we all look back on in week 15 and say “how did they beat them?!” Because teams like Cincinnati will go on a run and win 8 of their next 10, while teams like Washington will lose eight in a row. Not claiming either of those will happen, but they tend to.

It’s a week to week league to some extent, but the better team should still win more often than not. There will never be a year with 16 teams at 9-8 and the other 16 at 8-9. Though that would be fun.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

FA is a harder task because they are expected to come in day one and start.   They also need to be a culture fit with the organization and have a clean record off the field.   These are a lot of boxes to have to check before bringing someone on.   They would probably have more success in FA just finding players that meet box 1 of getting it done on Sunday but that is not how Brad builds his teams.   Hard to argue with his method since it’s working even with the FA misses.  

Yeah I agree and the most important thing is no long term commitments, not one albatross contract on the books which is an extreme rarity in the league. The only real bad contracts he added was Romeo Okwara and Walker but those guys had injuries that nobody saw coming, they were solid players pre-injury. I guess the Cominsky contract isn't great but that's small potatoes.

Edited by NYLion

The flip side of drafting so well is we already have our future FA money tied up in players that will come due in the next few seasons.    I’d love to add a big name like a Crosby, Reddick, or Adams but how do you commit that now knowing Hutch, Jamo, Gibbs, Branch, LaPorta, Kerby, Alim are all going to need significant pay raises to stay.    

30 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This looks dirty but I honestly don’t know if this is instead a normal move that happens all the time in the trenches and Davenport just broke easily like he always does.  

I don't think it's dirty. Davenport is trying to muscle Paris Johnson backwards to collapse the pocket. Johnson tries to break the arm (not literally) and for whatever reason, Davenport's elbow snaps before his grip/wrist does. Normally that move should just result in Davenport going face first into the turf, or if he's good, maintaining his balance and re-establishing his charge.

Just a freak play. That tends to happen more to injury-prone players like Davenport.

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

I appreciate Holmes’s approach to roster construction even if I am disappointed that it results in an occasional miss in free agency. In this case he tried to get a damaged FA like Davenport to sign below market value and save the money to pay Hutch. It’s a shame it didn’t work. But they used 1% of their cap space for one season. 

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

A-Rob is now officially on the active roster. What does this mean for Tim Patrick?

Probably just that he’s in competition. They can elevate someone from the practice squad three times before they have to make a decision on him. That’s six weeks of competition between Patrick and Robinson, or nine between Patrick, Robinson, and DPJ.

I expected this game to be a loss at the start of the season and still expect it to be a loss. For whatever reason, Geno Smith turns into Joe Montana when he plays Aaron Glenn's defenses. Glenn seems to have no answer for slowing down Smith. 

Geno Smith vs Aaron Glenn's defense the past 2 years.
55 of 71 with 648 yards total passing yards. He's had 4 TD’s and 0 INTs. He's had a QB rating of 120. He's run for 10 carries for 69 yards and a 1 TD. 0 turnovers. Geno Smith was sacked once total in 2 games.

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I expected this game to be a loss at the start of the season and still expect it to be a loss. For whatever reason, Geno Smith turns into Joe Montana when he plays Aaron Glenn's defenses. Glenn seems to have no answer for slowing down Smith. 

Geno Smith vs Aaron Glenn's defense the past 2 years.
55 of 71 with 648 yards total passing yards. He's had 4 TD’s and 0 INTs. He's had a QB rating of 120. He's run for 10 carries for 69 yards and a 1 TD. 0 turnovers. Geno Smith was sacked once total in 2 games.

I knew it! You are TP after all! 🙂

@reggieaqui's video Tweet

• Haha 2

r/detroitlions - Anybody worried about Terrion Arnold?

I don't think it means much of anything at this point in his young career and I expect him to end up a very good player at the end of the day. However, according to PFF, Terrion Arnold has graded out as the worst rookie starting CB through 3 weeks. I really only bring this up because when Jeff Okudah was out there, when he wasn't hurt, he was getting dogged out by fans early on. So if it was fair to critique Okudah, it's fair to critique Arnold too.

• Like 1