9/24/24 6:40PM Rays @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

3 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

So let’s say we make it in. Will the teams that received a bye be as easy pickin’s as the 2006 Tigers are alleged to have been due to the layoff between games?

I’ve never liked that assertion, or the one that our pitchers didn’t know how to field. And as much as Tim McCarver relished that 2006 victory over the Tigers and may have traded in those assertions I do take some small comfort in the fact that the loss in 1968 affected him so deeply that his commentary of 2006 was colored by it. 

I guess one of the reasons they decided to have the first round series all at the same park was so they could play the games without off days to avoid a lengthy layoff for teams with the bye. Still though they will be looking at like 5+ days layoff so their timing could possibly be a little off the first game. 

11 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Getting Jobe up here to see what it's like in MLB is great but I wouldn't be too upset if Hinch only uses him with a big lead. Let it be a less stressful event in his first outing(s).

I have the exact opposite view.  This isn’t about giving him a little look to help his development.   They think he can help them now.  Let him pitch and hope that he can become a valuable bullpen piece the rest of the way.   That means going into to close ballgames and showing his stuff.    

Also the lineup that he’ll be facing this weekend is probably worse than the ones he was seeing in Toledo.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I have the exact opposite view.  This isn’t about giving him a little look to help his development.   They think he can help them now.  Let him pitch and hope that he can become a valuable bullpen piece the rest of the way.   That means going into to close ballgames and showing his stuff.    

Also the lineup that he’ll be facing this weekend is probably worse than the ones he was seeing in Toledo.  

A young guy with control issues who has never played in front of such a huge crowd? IDK, I see your point but it still makes me very nervous.

1 minute ago, IdahoBert said:

He is, however, used to attention and high expectations. He hasn’t been operating in a complete vacuum. 

The Tigers have plenty of options in the BP. My ideal situation would be a big lead and bring him in with no runners on base and 2 outs. He could always be replaced to start the next inning. I don't want to see thousands of Tiger fans blaming him for a loss if he struggles. But that's just me, I'm a nervous Nelly. Lol

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers have plenty of options in the BP. My ideal situation would be a big lead and bring him in with no runners on base and 2 outs. He could always be replaced to start the next inning. I don't want to see thousands of Tiger fans blaming him for a loss if he struggles. But that's just me, I'm a nervous Nelly. Lol

I’m hoping for a low pressure situation maybe not quite that extreme. Oh hey they’re taking the tarp off the field as I type this in.