9/25/24 6:40PM Rays @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

7 hours ago, oblong said:

Don’t forget 2006. Getting swept by the Royals at home.  

I was at the last game.  It was a discouraging game, it cost the Tigers the division pennant.  But that aspect didn't bother me as much as how they were stumbling at the wrong time.  They were in the playoffs, so division winner or wildcard, I didn't really care.  They just weren't playing well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

I was at the last game.  It was a discouraging game, it cost the Tigers the division pennant.  But that aspect didn't bother me as much as how they were stumbling at the wrong time.  They were in the playoffs, so division winner or wildcard, I didn't really care.  They just weren't playing well.

I was never as upset at a game as I was that Sunday.  I wanted the division flag because I assumed the team wouldn't do anything in the playoffs so I figured that's a nice memento, nobody cares about the wild card.  And I wanted to see them celebrate.  In the end it worked out as they were able to shock the Yankees in the best of 5. 

3 minutes ago, oblong said:

I was never as upset at a game as I was that Sunday.  I wanted the division flag because I assumed the team wouldn't do anything in the playoffs so I figured that's a nice memento, nobody cares about the wild card.  And I wanted to see them celebrate.  In the end it worked out as they were able to shock the Yankees in the best of 5. 

I went to the Kenny Rogers game.  So, I don't know, perhaps any frustration that I had at the Royals' game on Sunday was flushed out by that experience?  The mind is a goofy thing and I don't have much to play with.

Walking in to that Kenny Rogers game was awesome. We met some friends at Nemo's.  The crowd outside of Comerica getting in was massive.  Bigger than Opening Day.   "Oh, so this is a playoff crowd.... there's sellouts, then there's SELLOUTS".  And it was an 8 pm game so it was dark.... going into a baseball game when it's dark?  That's unusual.

45 minutes ago, oblong said:

I also believed at that time it was imperative to avoid the Yankees, I didn't know then like I know now just how random the MLB playoffs are and how much of a crapshoot they are so its really just a marginal difference when it comes to winning and losing if you get a "tougher" opponent.

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, oblong said:

Don’t forget 2006. Getting swept by the Royals at home.  

I remember it too well. Something worth recalling as a warning for sure. The 2006 Tigers, though, were stumbling for much of the last 1/3 of the season. Even though the end of that season was humbling, this club is still ascending. And we now have a more mature version of Nuke LaLoosh. The 2024 Tigers are a tidal wave minutely focused on single games that are like tiny islands in the South Pacific. We bat a 6’ 5” power hitter leadoff. New rules, new ways of managing. If how things “feel” makes a difference this situation feels different. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, oblong said:

Walking in to that Kenny Rogers game was awesome. We met some friends at Nemo's.  The crowd outside of Comerica getting in was massive.  Bigger than Opening Day.   "Oh, so this is a playoff crowd.... there's sellouts, then there's SELLOUTS".  And it was an 8 pm game so it was dark.... going into a baseball game when it's dark?  That's unusual.

I managed to get tickets on the bullpen wall for game 1 vs Yankees. I wore my "Now entering the Zumaya Zone Speed limit 103", he got a kick out of seeing it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I managed to get tickets on the bullpen wall for game 1 vs Yankees. I wore my "Now entering the Zumaya Zone Speed limit 103", he got a kick out of seeing it. 

Zumaya’s 8th inning of Game 2 was magical. It’s when I felt the Tigers belonged in the playoffs and had a shot, weren’t intruders. 

• Thanks 1