10/1/24 2:32PM Tigers @ Astros Wild Card Game 1

Tigeraholic1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Thank god A.J. didn’t leave Foley in to completely lose the game. This is the second high-leverage outing he’s botched in the last couple of weeks. At least he’s not Tony La Russa.

Hopefully we don’t get the Beau Brieske who can’t stop walking guys.

Foley is going to be so upset at himself.  I'm not sure they can use him again.  😀

• Haha 1

I don't think Foley was necessarily bad today but his lack of swing and miss came back to haunt him today. He gave up what would've been a pretty lazy flyball in Comerica Park to Alvarez(89mph off the bat) which turned into a double in Houston. Then an infield single and weak ground ball single.

When you allow balls to be put in play as often as Foley does(by today's standards atleast) you are going to run into some outings where the BABIP Gods aren't on your side and unfortunately today's game may have been one of them.

Fortunately the Tigers had the 3 run lead and we're able to survive but can't say I'd want to see him in there in a high pressure 1 or 2 run game. 

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think Foley was necessarily bad today but his lack of swing and miss came back to haunt him today. He gave up what would've been a pretty lazy flyball in Comerica Park to Alvarez(89mph off the bat) which turned into a double in Houston. Then an infield single and weak ground ball single.

When you allow balls to be put in play as often as Foley does(by today's standards atleast) you are going to run into some outings where the BABIP Gods aren't on your side and unfortunately today's game may have been one of them.

Fortunately the Tigers had the 3 run lead and we're able to survive but can't say I'd want to see him in there in a high pressure 1 or 2 run game. 

It's just Vest and Holton were so good, I'm not sure why Foley was even in the game. So many options and Hinch went with the most risky.

7 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

And now the Brewers’ 2019-2024 playoff record drops to 1-9 after losing to the Mets 8-4.  Mets relievers retired final 17 batters. 

And KC beat Baltimore 1-0. The Royals used 4 pitchers in a 1-0 shutout. Unheard of in "the good old days" 😅😅

26 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's just Vest and Holton were so good, I'm not sure why Foley was even in the game. So many options and Hinch went with the most risky.

I think that was sort of the reason. Hinch was being a little reasonably greedy. He had a three run lead so if worse had come to worst and Foley gave up a bloop and bomb he still had the lead and Tigers would still have Holton and Brieske untaxed for tomorrow. Unfortunately(nearly anyway)  worse came to even worstiest.,

10 minutes ago, kdog said:

That would work. I'm going to the U-M @ Washington game in Seattle on Saturday but it doesn't start until 7:30pm ET, so if the Tigers do play a Game 1 against Cleveland I could watch part of it then listen to the rest in the car. With the Lions on a bye, would be nice to have a Tigers game on Sunday. But these are quibbles, these would be 1st world baseball fan problems!.

10 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I hope the Tigers can just dispense with the drama and win tomorrow and give the pitching staff an extra day off. I’ve had so much drama this year. I honestly don’t need any more of it. Just a boring routine win would be really nice.

I'm with you. I hope the Tigers' relationship with its fans this October is like that of a content middle-aged man and a happy wife who have a bond that is cozy, fruitful and endures. Not a relationship like that of a newly-single middle-aged man dating for the first time since 2014 who is chasing thrills and spills with a young, hot but crazy chick who splits after the weekend. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I'm with you. I hope the Tigers' relationship with its fans this October is like that of a content middle-aged man and a happy wife who have a bond that is cozy, fruitful and endures. Not a relationship like that of a newly-single middle-aged man dating for the first time since 2014 who is chasing thrills and spills with a young, hot but crazy chick who splits after the weekend. 

IMG_7132.gif.1abe6c7ebb76b186b99cc8f96b3155d1.gif

• Haha 2

When Dan Dickerson was interviewing AJ before the game, their discussion of how for the last 40+ games the Tigers had already been in “playoff mode” really fascinated me. 

It reminded me of the first Karate Kid movie where the youngster is learning all the moves by washing the car, which will be put to use for a higher purpose later on.

Here it was facing every game as if it were do or die — which it was — and making strategic changes as if there were no tomorrow in a fearless but calculated manner, then doing it again and again day after day and inculcating this pattern as a part of the ingrained muscle memory of the team. 

This is really a beautiful season for many reasons, but this is one of them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think that was sort of the reason. Hinch was being a little reasonably greedy. He had a three run lead so if worse had come to worst and Foley gave up a bloop and bomb he still had the lead and Tigers would still have Holton and Brieske untaxed for tomorrow. Unfortunately(nearly anyway)  worse came to even worstiest.,

I don't like Holton starting. Why not Olson? Or do we think Olson will come in after Holton? Wasting a closer type RP. At least, IMO.

• Thanks 1