10/1/24 2:32PM Tigers @ Astros Wild Card Game 1

Tigeraholic1

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't like Holton starting. Why not Olson? Or do we think Olson will come in after Holton? Wasting a closer type RP. At least, IMO.

AJ wants the kill. Holton is probably the best arm we have right now after Skubal so he wants to get some innings there. It will probably just be once through the order. If the Tigers can win tomorrow they get an off day and Holton can reset before Cleveland. If they get a lead I could even see him holding Olson back, or only giving him an inning or two so he is ready to go Saturday. 

It's going to be crazy watching AJ re-invent playoff pitching management on the fly if they manage to get a little distance in this postseason. For 100 years conventional playoff wisdom has been get your regular rotation lined up and keep everything as much in order as you can. Make sure everyone knows their role so everyone can stay calm. AJ is saying "screw that" - we're going to play every marginal advantage and nobody here is going be rattled because no-one ever knows when they are going out there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

AJ wants the kill. Holton is probably the best arm we have right now after Skubal so he wants to get some innings there. It will probably just be once through the order. If the Tigers can win tomorrow they get an off day and Holton can reset before Cleveland. If they get a lead I could even see him holding Olson back, or only giving him an inning or two so he is ready to go Saturday. 

It's going to be crazy watching AJ re-invent playoff pitching management on the fly if they manage to get a little distance in this postseason. For 100 years conventional playoff wisdom has been get your regular rotation lined up and keep everything as much in order as you can. Make sure everyone knows their role so everyone can stay calm. AJ is saying "screw that" - we're going to play every marginal advantage and nobody here is going be rattled because no-one ever knows when they are going out there.

Hinch/Harris has earned my trust. I find myself wrong doubting their moves so much more than in years past. It's really nice to just relax and watch them work..reserving the right to second guess of course which is every fans right and duty if done respectfully. I am so enjoying this ride. Go Tigers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Great insights, as always. 

IMG_7134.jpeg

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think its a matter of putting pressure on the Astros.  Keep them down while hoping to scratch out an early lead.  Get the early lead, and now the Astros have to adjust to another pitcher their next time through.  The Tiger staff, at current status, is probably best when giving the opposition one look per game.

In addition, get the early lead and avoid Hader in must score situations.  Take away Houston's ability to get him into a game while playing from behind.  Its an elimination game for Houston now.  They'll probably be quick to use whatever tricks they have in their bag now.

4 hours ago, Jobe said:

If these dudes can somehow manage to win the World Series, it will be the greatest championship run in the city's history. Not predicting it, just saying. Would be fk’n amazing. LGT. 

Tigers vs Padres 40 years later? Yes please. Since I don't remember the first one.

I’m with Sports Freak on this one. I’d’ve preferred to see Reese with a conventional start today. That said, I don’t have the Tigers’ information and insights on specific matchups, so hopefully A.J. can give some details on their thinking in today’s post-series press conference.

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m with Sports Freak on this one. I’d’ve preferred to see Reese with a conventional start today. That said, I don’t have the Tigers’ information and insights on specific matchups, so hopefully A.J. can give some details on their thinking in today’s post-series press conference.

Probably because of Tucker and Alvarez at the top of the order.

32 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Probably because of Tucker and Alvarez at the top of the order.

I think this is it.  I think he wants to get through the 1st trip of these lefties and then will go to Olson vs a mostly RHH rest of the lineup.

And we might see Holton start off the game tomorrow as well.

Id like to see an inning, maybe 2 out of Holton, then 3-4 out of Reese.  

If we have the lead after 6/7 then go to Huerter and Jobe to finish it off.  Maybe even more Will Vest if he’s good to go today.

If we are down or tied, then go with Hanifee/Guenther to still try to win but save Huerter and Jobe for Wednesday bulk innings if needed.  

Mize and Madden only pitch if it’s a blowout either way.

54 minutes ago, monkeytargets39 said:

Id like to see an inning, maybe 2 out of Holton, then 3-4 out of Reese.  

If we have the lead after 6/7 then go to Huerter and Jobe to finish it off.  Maybe even more Will Vest if he’s good to go today.

If we are down or tied, then go with Hanifee/Guenther to still try to win but save Huerter and Jobe for Wednesday bulk innings if needed.  

Mize and Madden only pitch if it’s a blowout either way.

I'd be shocked if they go with Hurter at all today (assuming Reese is the bulk guy).  They can't take any chance of having a game tomorrow and not having him available.  

I would think Vest is available as he only had 24 pitches.  Brieske is definitely available also.  So if it's a close lead, I think we likely see both of them today at some point.  Hopefully in the 8th/9th with Guenther/Hanifee and or Jobe between Reese and then.  If it's a blowout, then obviously rest Brieske and Vest.