Preseason Games 2024

That was the most fun I've had watching a Pistons "game" in a while. Sure, it's preseason, but whatever. I saw some things I haven't seen from this team in years:

• Staggered rotation! It IS possible!
  • Off-ball and weakside movement/screens - actual NBA plays!
  • Really good ball movement, not just one dude pounding the ball into oblivion
  • Defensive intensity up and down the rotation. They were disruptive.
  • Just an 8 man rotation in the first half!

That alone is remarkable from this team and those are good signs even in preseason because they're indicative of the system JB is putting in place. I liked what I saw.

Ivey - He came out with regular season intensity and looked like he's out to prove some things. Better job defensively and fighting over screen, hitting corner threes, and they were getting him the ball in motion. It looked more like how they were using him at Purdue. His speed was on display and he got to the line 9 times as a result.

Holland - The game changed when Holland and Stew came in. He was immediately disruptive on defense, fighting for rebounds, and making quick passes on the perimeter. He gets into trouble when he has to initiate alone, but really did some positive things in his minutes when he playing his role. If he and/or Ausar can shoot just league average in the next year or two you could be looking at a seriously lock-down defensive duo.

THJ - Meh. But, we all expected that. He started this game, but then JB started Holland in the second half. During the regular season when Tobias and Ausar are back, I think it's obvious he'll just be a bench guy who can sometimes get hot.

Beasley - He looked good, and surprisingly it was on both ends. Maybe it was just because he was playing the Bucks, so we'll see if that defensive energy continues. We all knew he could shoot. Super fast trigger too, which is nice.

Reed - He played the 4 a bit alongside stew off the bench and was really disruptive on defense. They're going to have to find some minutes for this kid.

Sasser - Looked really good in the second half running the point and racked up 9 assists in no time. 

On 10/8/2024 at 1:17 PM, Hongbit said:

Crazy that it has been 17 seasons since they last won a single playoff game.   

Dikembe Mutombo who just died at the age of 59(RIP) was still in the NBA, the Oklahoma City Thunder had yet to play a game and Al Horford was just a rookie. 

Another really fun one! Got to see something closer to the real starting lineup now that Tobias is back from Covid. He and Cade both looked really good in the first half against most of the Suns starters (no Booker). I know Harris gets a lot of hate around here, but he'll be a major floor raiser for this team. A legitimate NBA PF is something we haven't had in a while.

Cade nearly had a triple double and looked way more engaged in this one after looking like he didn't want to play in the last game. We even got to the see the floater he worked on in the off-season.

Ivey is a man on a mission in every game so far. You can tell he's on the revenge tour and I hope it continues. I also really like what I'm seeing from Bickerstaff so far with his staggering of Cade and Ivey, 9-man rotation, and the way he's using Ivey.

Holland is going to be a fan favorite. He's wearing the other player's jersey on defense and this is the second game in a row where he got into it with an opposing player because he wouldn't let go in the fight for a loose ball. Love seeing that tenacity from the youngster against vets.

Only bad news is it looked like Duren hurt his leg/foot. He went down and then limped a bit. Came out of the game on the next play so I'm not sure how bad it is or if he just walked it off.

Last night's game...ugh. Once again, Ivey looked good, but I don't have much more to say other than that. GS was on fire from three all game no matter who touched the rock and the Piston's were exactly the opposite.

So, we've had 2 good games and 2 bad ones. Let's see what Wednesday brings against the Cavs.

20 hours ago, buddha said:

hollinger had his bottom of the east preview today.

bad news: pistons at 28 wins.

even worse news: there were four teams in the east that were worse.

were going to end up picking 8th.

When we finish last, we get the 5th pick, so does it matter? I'm just hoping to see an identity begin to form and let the ping pong balls do as they will.

On 10/11/2024 at 11:17 PM, Deleterious said:

THJ bought out in 3...2...1

Good thing we included Grimes in that deal.  

This is arguably dumber than any deal Weaver did outside of the Bruce Brown one. At least Weaver got 2nds and didn't have to give back a useful player for his version of THJ in Joe Harris.

Edited by NYLion

14 minutes ago, NYLion said:

This is arguably dumber than any deal Weaver did outside of the Bruce Brown one. At least Weaver got 2nds and didn't have to give back a useful player for his version of THJ in Joe Harris.

The Pistons got three 2nd round picks for this trade.

Also, it was reported by multiple local guys that Grimes didn't want to be here. Plus, he was injured and that seems to be a recurring problem with him.

Hardaway isn't a good player, but he's a vet who's always available and seems to be a solid locker room guy that won't block playing time for the youngsters.

In the end, they moved an often injured bench guy who didn't want to be here for a bench vet on an expiring contract and 3 second round picks.

It's fine.

2 hours ago, Betrayer said:

The Pistons got three 2nd round picks for this trade.

Also, it was reported by multiple local guys that Grimes didn't want to be here. Plus, he was injured and that seems to be a recurring problem with him.

Hardaway isn't a good player, but he's a vet who's always available and seems to be a solid locker room guy that won't block playing time for the youngsters.

In the end, they moved an often injured bench guy who didn't want to be here for a bench vet on an expiring contract and 3 second round picks.

It's fine.

betrayer the optimist, always giving the new regime a chance.  🙂