Week Six: Detroit Lions (3-1) @ Dallas Cowboys (3-2)

9 hours ago, KL2 said:

Don't think Maxx qualifies as a "quick fix" pro bowl type of players, under contract for next season and from the area.

he's got a $30 million cap hit this year.  doesnt that hit the raiders' books if he's traded?

the raiders want to deal underperforming veterans like davante adams not pro bowl de's in their prime.

seems like we go through this with crosby every year now.  

14 minutes ago, buddha said:

he's got a $30 million cap hit this year.  doesnt that hit the raiders' books if he's traded?

the raiders want to deal underperforming veterans like davante adams not pro bowl de's in their prime.

seems like we go through this with crosby every year now.  

Ok not sure what that has to deal with you calling him a "quick fix"

12 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I want the Lions to go for it this season. Three 1sts and two 2nds? An overpay, I would say, but sure to get your guy.

Insanity especially the way Holmes drafts. Hutchinson's career isn't over, they just need a guy for this year.

Completely unrealistic anyway, no chance that Holmes is going to mortgage the future for one player nor should be tbh. The Lions don't need a Crosby level player to win a Superbowl but, yes, they do need a pass rusher that commands attention now. Will just have to see how the market fleshes out over the next 3 weeks as the sellers start to emerge, the Bengals winning last night was a blow although I'm not sure how realistic Hendrickson was anyway.

Edited by NYLion

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm so bummed about Hutch. Should be celebrating the most fun win in a long, long time today. Instead we are mourning.

yup.  

the defense was playing pretty well, but without their best player - and one of the best in the league at one of the most important positions - i expect them to fall off.

right before the viqueens game too.

12 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm so bummed about Hutch. Should be celebrating the most fun win in a long, long time today. Instead we are mourning.

It sucks especially for Hutch but I think we need to just move forward. This team is much bigger than just one person no matter how good he is, I honestly don't think the Lions will skip much of a beat not only because they have a bunch of talented guys but also because this culture runs deep.

It's also good news that it appears there was no ligament/nerve damage so Hutch will very likely make a full recovery if not be stronger. My biggest concern when it happened was it being a career altering injury but it appears that the break was clean, best case scenario all things considered.

Edited by NYLion

31 minutes ago, NYLion said:

It sucks especially for Hutch but I think we need to just move forward. This team is much bigger than just one person no matter how good he is, I honestly don't think the Lions will skip much of a beat not only because they have a bunch of talented guys but also because this culture runs deep.

This is the right mindset for the locker room to have, and judging by the locker room talk MCDC gave afterwards, it's what they will have.

I'm worried though. The identity of the defense is to completely shut down the run and do enough through the air. Part of doing enough through the air includes generating something of a pass rush. Hutch was a one-man machine out there doing that. Someone will need to step up, or QBs are going to have all day back there, and any NFL QB - from Will Levis to Pat Mahomes - will find an open receiver if you give them all day.

The pass rush still looked good after Hutchinson went out. Levi is quietly having a good year, and McNeil started to return to form. Glenn will need to get more creative with blitzes again. If they can ever get Melifonwu back, he could even help in the pass rush. If there ever was a time for James Houston to prove he is an NFL caliber pass rusher, it's now. 

32 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This is the right mindset for the locker room to have, and judging by the locker room talk MCDC gave afterwards, it's what they will have.

I'm worried though. The identity of the defense is to completely shut down the run and do enough through the air. Part of doing enough through the air includes generating something of a pass rush. Hutch was a one-man machine out there doing that. Someone will need to step up, or QBs are going to have all day back there, and any NFL QB - from Will Levis to Pat Mahomes - will find an open receiver if you give them all day.

hutch set the edge on defense too.  helped a lot against the run.

everyone knows this, but its a massive loss.  he's not replaceable by many players in the LEAGUE, much less many players on the current roster.

on a positive note, i was happy to see them rub it in the cowboys' face.  running trick plays late in the game, running up the score, lining up skipper as eligible all game long, even at wide receiver!

**** the refs, **** the league office, and **** the cowboys.  it was a level of grudge holding i can appreciate.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It's impossible to replace what Hutch brings but I think a collective effort of guys will help to make the loss much less painful, Paschal for one has stepped up big time. I have the utmost confidence in this group to figure it out but obviously the loss of Hutch will be felt.

This team is not going to crumble over one guy getting hurt.   Not this bunch. 

I would say the coaches would never allow this team to get down, but the players too.  They are every bit as focused here.    That's why it's tricky just getting anyone to replace Hutch.   It has to be the right mentality.   They can't get a cancer get in.    They might actually be better off covering from within.     

I totally trust Brad.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 hours ago, buddha said:

hutch set the edge on defense too.  helped a lot against the run.

everyone knows this, but its a massive loss.  he's not replaceable by many players in the LEAGUE, much less many players on the current roster.

He was the definition of a game wrecker. Would have been DPOY. 

4 minutes ago, holygoat said:

The Super Bowl is almost exactly 4 months from now.

Can you imagine how storybook that would be.

The way Hutch competes, I’m sure he’s devastated. He’s got that date marked and probably fully expects to be in New Orleans playing.

Though I expect him to make more than one appearance at Ford Field between now and then, hyping up the crowd.